Favorite story of your deerharvest.

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Anyone interisted in posting thier “through thier sites experience” of thier favorite deer kill by gun or bow? I’ll bet theres lots of us.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

My favorite deer story is, was, and always will be my next one. That way we always have something great to look forward to.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

My favorite deer story is, was, and always will be my next one. That way we always have something great to look forward to.

Gator Hunter

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Your right gator, its something too look forward too.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Your right gator, its something too look forward too.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

My most memorable hunting event was a number of years ago when I was just 17 years old. I had a super opening day gun season in Minnesota. This was back in 1974 when they allowed both a deer and bear on your big game license. Well that kind of leads you into this story.
    I was lucky enough to have shot 3 deer and a black bear on this day back in 1974! I hunted back than with a Marlin 30-30. I took these three deer and a bear with just 5 shots. Yes, I did say lucky!

Well I just scaned the photo of the 12 point buck and the bear. I was so happy about this great hunt, I loaded the bear and deer and rode around with them on the front. Oh yes……I remember that the box in back was empty.

This truly was a very special day for this hunter.

Bob Carlson

My most memorable hunting event was a number of years ago when I was just 17 years old. I had a super opening day gun season in Minnesota. This was back in 1974 when they allowed both a deer and bear on your big game license. Well that kind of leads you into this story.
    I was lucky enough to have shot 3 deer and a black bear on this day back in 1974! I hunted back than with a Marlin 30-30. I took these three deer and a bear with just 5 shots. Yes, I did say lucky!

Well I just scaned the photo of the 12 point buck and the bear. I was so happy about this great hunt, I loaded the bear and deer and rode around with them on the front. Oh yes……I remember that the box in back was empty.

This truly was a very special day for this hunter.

ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

Both the pic and the story are great Bobber. Still swinging that Marlin? I’d like to hear that your were or turned it over to a son or nephew who’s heard your stories and has sleepless nights thinking of what he’ll do with it.

ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

Both the pic and the story are great Bobber. Still swinging that Marlin? I’d like to hear that your were or turned it over to a son or nephew who’s heard your stories and has sleepless nights thinking of what he’ll do with it.

Bob Carlson

The Marlin now sit’s in the gun cabinet. I now use a 308 rem. auto model four.

thanks,

Bob Carlson

The Marlin now sit’s in the gun cabinet. I now use a 308 rem. auto model four.

thanks,

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Well heres mine, One of the places I hunt is a really pretty place to hunt, clear spring water fed creek {buck creek} with maples, oaks, cedar, white and yellow birch all along the bluffs and ravines, full of color in the fall, sorta like around duluth in the fall, sorta. Be pretty hard to beat the scenery around duluth and virginia in the fall. At my hunting spot I park along a cornfield on the back side of the farm. This day I walked across a picked cornfield, then an alfalfa field then into some setaside. I crossed a drainage creek and up a small meadow twards my stand. Just befor my stand on my left theres a long road that goes down through a bluff to a creek About 200 yrds away. Everytime I walk by this road I glass down it, along its sides and across the creek bottom, day or night and stand there for a few minutes waiting to see if anythings holding in the cover. This perticular morning I seen a doe walking from up stream and checking her back trail. I thought maybe a bucks following her. Shure enough I seen a buck that couldn’t get close to her, she’d move and he’d move, she’d move and he’d move. They were walking on the other side of this creek. I could see his rack but I couldn’t see both beams clearly, I thought this is diffrent. I couldn’t think why one rack was so diffrent than the other one. I thought if they don’t cross the creek I can get about a 40 to 50 yrd shot from on top of the bluffs about 4 hundred yrds down creek. So I took off on a fast walk watching out in front of me not to scare anything that may be in front of me. I walked past my stand area, crossed a fence and out onto this bluff. I thought they may be down in front of me in a deep ravine and slowly walked a step at a time looking down into the ravine infront of me. The ravine kept showing its side as I walked closer, when I was just about insight of the bottom I couldn’t see them. I thought maybe thier right in the very bottom and I walked closer and there they were. They both were hiding in some rocks and deadfall and definately hiding from something. I stood there thinking should I wait if its another bigger buck or take this buck. I stood there and they kept checking thier back trails. I thought maybe if I waited and it was a nicer buck he might be across the creek and would be too far out of accurate bow range. I thought take this one. When looking at him I could see why I couldn’t figure out his rack, he’d been fighting with a bigger buck and lost part of his left rack from the g1 to the tip, it was gone. But this was a chance to get my first buck, after three years of wanting one of decent size and I thought im going to take him. I slowly walked up to the egde to where I could draw and clear the bluffs edge and hit his vitals. I drew my bow and put the 40 yrd hoyt pin on his heart and cleared my thoughts and released. I seen the arrow make a turn and a half then it hit just behind his last rib in the gut area. The arrow went through and I expected him to run but he and the doe just stood there. I thought could i have missed, I knew I hit him. This buck turned around and walked 20yrs behind him and stood there and grunted, then turned and walked back by this doe standing there stomping his hooves. By this time I had another arrow knocked in and drew back and released and it went under him just below his heart and hit the rocks below him. They took off running, this buck didn’t even know an arrow went through him, I was amazed!. I knew I hit him but I decided to just sit and let him go down. It was a beautiful day, I seen a spot in the snow by a tree with green ground moss over the rocks. I sat there for about an hour and thought i’ll go get him, i hope hes down. I got to the bottom of the ravine and shure enough I hit him because there was drops of blood on the snow. I slowly walked watching and looking for blood following the right tracks, there were deer tracks everywhere. At times I had to specifically watch for blood because there were too many deer tracks to follow the ones from my deer. I walked about 3/4 of a mile and he intered the water of buck creek and it was getting late. I walked up and down the creek sides for a ways then I thought it would be better to go home and follow him in the morning. My boy dan came with me to bring him out and we got there early in the morning and this time with my waders and walked into the creek and followed it up creek for about a block, checking the many trails crossing it at the same time for any blood. When I got to the turn in the creek a trail left there with blood on it. I thought hes not far now. I walked about another 1/3 of a mile and he intered the creek again, I followed it again for about two blocks then the blood trail came out again. It went twards a thick spot of weeds by a fence so I followed it to the weeds and fence, no deer there. I crossed the fence and to the other side of the weeds and there was blood all over the snow. I thought that he was standing there by this fence all night getting weak but still haden’t gone down yet. My boy and I started crossing this alfalfa field in front of us looking to a cedar timber on the otherside when we seen a buck run to our left and into the creek. We took off running trying not to get too far behind. When we got down by the creek there he was still alive laying on his side against the creekbank with his legs in the water laying against the bank. Here we are with no way to dispatch of him, only a skinning knife. So i thought its now or never and told my boy dan to stay here while I tried to use my knife via throat to take this buck. Overnight the soft wet snow froze and it was like walking on ice cubes and he herd evey step I took. Dan wanted to come with me to kill this buck but I said no, its dangerous enough for me. When walking twards him he heard me and ran down creek about 100 yards. He went down on his side on this small rise of sand in the middle of the creek holding his head up. I walked up behind this buck still on the bank and thought he can’t have much strength left from blood loss so its now or never. So i slowly walked up behind him in the water and grabbed both of his racks with my knife in one hand and he just layed there. I thought hes down for shure now and inserted my skining knife to his esophagas. When I did this he stood up on all fours shaking his head and all I could do was think don’t let go of his rack or im in trouble. He shook his head for about 15 seconds and stopped. By this time im pretty mad and I rolled over on my side with him and landed in the creek. I got ontop of his neck and held his head and throat under water and this buck still had enough strength in him to push me up out of the water and I sat on him again, this time he didn’t come up and I seen him go limp. I finally got my buck. By this time my boy was in the water with me and we drug him over to a one ft. rise on the creek bank to clean him easier. We slid him back into the clean creek water to wash him out and drug him up off the creek bank. We attached our safety harrnesses to his rack and drug him about 75 yrds through a barbed wire fence and boy were we tired. When we got him home we hung him up with about 8 to 10 inches of his rear hoofs going up over the rafter and a foot of his head layed out on the floor, my first nice buck, what an experience.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Well heres mine, One of the places I hunt is a really pretty place to hunt, clear spring water fed creek {buck creek} with maples, oaks, cedar, white and yellow birch all along the bluffs and ravines, full of color in the fall, sorta like around duluth in the fall, sorta. Be pretty hard to beat the scenery around duluth and virginia in the fall. At my hunting spot I park along a cornfield on the back side of the farm. This day I walked across a picked cornfield, then an alfalfa field then into some setaside. I crossed a drainage creek and up a small meadow twards my stand. Just befor my stand on my left theres a long road that goes down through a bluff to a creek About 200 yrds away. Everytime I walk by this road I glass down it, along its sides and across the creek bottom, day or night and stand there for a few minutes waiting to see if anythings holding in the cover. This perticular morning I seen a doe walking from up stream and checking her back trail. I thought maybe a bucks following her. Shure enough I seen a buck that couldn’t get close to her, she’d move and he’d move, she’d move and he’d move. They were walking on the other side of this creek. I could see his rack but I couldn’t see both beams clearly, I thought this is diffrent. I couldn’t think why one rack was so diffrent than the other one. I thought if they don’t cross the creek I can get about a 40 to 50 yrd shot from on top of the bluffs about 4 hundred yrds down creek. So I took off on a fast walk watching out in front of me not to scare anything that may be in front of me. I walked past my stand area, crossed a fence and out onto this bluff. I thought they may be down in front of me in a deep ravine and slowly walked a step at a time looking down into the ravine infront of me. The ravine kept showing its side as I walked closer, when I was just about insight of the bottom I couldn’t see them. I thought maybe thier right in the very bottom and I walked closer and there they were. They both were hiding in some rocks and deadfall and definately hiding from something. I stood there thinking should I wait if its another bigger buck or take this buck. I stood there and they kept checking thier back trails. I thought maybe if I waited and it was a nicer buck he might be across the creek and would be too far out of accurate bow range. I thought take this one. When looking at him I could see why I couldn’t figure out his rack, he’d been fighting with a bigger buck and lost part of his left rack from the g1 to the tip, it was gone. But this was a chance to get my first buck, after three years of wanting one of decent size and I thought im going to take him. I slowly walked up to the egde to where I could draw and clear the bluffs edge and hit his vitals. I drew my bow and put the 40 yrd hoyt pin on his heart and cleared my thoughts and released. I seen the arrow make a turn and a half then it hit just behind his last rib in the gut area. The arrow went through and I expected him to run but he and the doe just stood there. I thought could i have missed, I knew I hit him. This buck turned around and walked 20yrs behind him and stood there and grunted, then turned and walked back by this doe standing there stomping his hooves. By this time I had another arrow knocked in and drew back and released and it went under him just below his heart and hit the rocks below him. They took off running, this buck didn’t even know an arrow went through him, I was amazed!. I knew I hit him but I decided to just sit and let him go down. It was a beautiful day, I seen a spot in the snow by a tree with green ground moss over the rocks. I sat there for about an hour and thought i’ll go get him, i hope hes down. I got to the bottom of the ravine and shure enough I hit him because there was drops of blood on the snow. I slowly walked watching and looking for blood following the right tracks, there were deer tracks everywhere. At times I had to specifically watch for blood because there were too many deer tracks to follow the ones from my deer. I walked about 3/4 of a mile and he intered the water of buck creek and it was getting late. I walked up and down the creek sides for a ways then I thought it would be better to go home and follow him in the morning. My boy dan came with me to bring him out and we got there early in the morning and this time with my waders and walked into the creek and followed it up creek for about a block, checking the many trails crossing it at the same time for any blood. When I got to the turn in the creek a trail left there with blood on it. I thought hes not far now. I walked about another 1/3 of a mile and he intered the creek again, I followed it again for about two blocks then the blood trail came out again. It went twards a thick spot of weeds by a fence so I followed it to the weeds and fence, no deer there. I crossed the fence and to the other side of the weeds and there was blood all over the snow. I thought that he was standing there by this fence all night getting weak but still haden’t gone down yet. My boy and I started crossing this alfalfa field in front of us looking to a cedar timber on the otherside when we seen a buck run to our left and into the creek. We took off running trying not to get too far behind. When we got down by the creek there he was still alive laying on his side against the creekbank with his legs in the water laying against the bank. Here we are with no way to dispatch of him, only a skinning knife. So i thought its now or never and told my boy dan to stay here while I tried to use my knife via throat to take this buck. Overnight the soft wet snow froze and it was like walking on ice cubes and he herd evey step I took. Dan wanted to come with me to kill this buck but I said no, its dangerous enough for me. When walking twards him he heard me and ran down creek about 100 yards. He went down on his side on this small rise of sand in the middle of the creek holding his head up. I walked up behind this buck still on the bank and thought he can’t have much strength left from blood loss so its now or never. So i slowly walked up behind him in the water and grabbed both of his racks with my knife in one hand and he just layed there. I thought hes down for shure now and inserted my skining knife to his esophagas. When I did this he stood up on all fours shaking his head and all I could do was think don’t let go of his rack or im in trouble. He shook his head for about 15 seconds and stopped. By this time im pretty mad and I rolled over on my side with him and landed in the creek. I got ontop of his neck and held his head and throat under water and this buck still had enough strength in him to push me up out of the water and I sat on him again, this time he didn’t come up and I seen him go limp. I finally got my buck. By this time my boy was in the water with me and we drug him over to a one ft. rise on the creek bank to clean him easier. We slid him back into the clean creek water to wash him out and drug him up off the creek bank. We attached our safety harrnesses to his rack and drug him about 75 yrds through a barbed wire fence and boy were we tired. When we got him home we hung him up with about 8 to 10 inches of his rear hoofs going up over the rafter and a foot of his head layed out on the floor, my first nice buck, what an experience.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Im shure glad my father was a hunter and took the time to teach me the outdoors plus how to feed myself, anyone else feel this way? lol

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Im shure glad my father was a hunter and took the time to teach me the outdoors plus how to feed myself, anyone else feel this way? lol

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I know I do. I still learn from my dad everytime we go out. I only hope I can pass that on to my kids.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I know I do. I still learn from my dad everytime we go out. I only hope I can pass that on to my kids.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

What a pleasure to know you’ve helped your children to feed themselves for life.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

What a pleasure to know you’ve helped your children to feed themselves for life.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well guys, I have a few of them that stick out in my mind, but I am hoping this year will work out to be the best one so far, or until i get to take my babies out hunting and seeing thier first deer. but the kid in the mug picture with me is my volunteer little brother with the BB/BS organization. this is his first year deer hunting, so I am hoping that he gets to bag one. then I will tell you how he did after the season is over. so save me a spot!

thanks

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well guys, I have a few of them that stick out in my mind, but I am hoping this year will work out to be the best one so far, or until i get to take my babies out hunting and seeing thier first deer. but the kid in the mug picture with me is my volunteer little brother with the BB/BS organization. this is his first year deer hunting, so I am hoping that he gets to bag one. then I will tell you how he did after the season is over. so save me a spot!

thanks

shane

bassguy
    MANKATO

STORY FROM THE FATHER- IN- LAW THAT I HEAR EVERY YEAR IN NOVEMBER OR HAVING A BOURBON AT THE COUNTRY LIVE-INN IS THIS:
    SHOT A HUGE BUCK IN WHITEWATER(1970’S) AND HAD TO DRAG IT OUT FROM THE BOTTOM OF SOMEPLACE. BIG RACK AND HUNG IT FROM THE POLE BARN.
    POP’S, WHO IS 6 FOOT NOW, AND PROBABLY 6’2″ THEN, SAYS THAT WITH THAT DEER’S KNEES STILL IN THE DIRT, AND HIM REACHING AS HIGH OVERHEAD AS HE COULD, COULDN’T QUITE REACH THE TOP OF THE SHOULDER. THEN HE SAYS THAT WHEN HE PUT THE HEART IN A FIVE QUART ICE CREAM PAIL, THE LID KEPT POPPING OFF
    THERE IS A PICTURE AROUND SOMEPLACE, BUT I HAVE BEEN WAITING 10 YEARS TO SEE IT

bassguy
    MANKATO

STORY FROM THE FATHER- IN- LAW THAT I HEAR EVERY YEAR IN NOVEMBER OR HAVING A BOURBON AT THE COUNTRY LIVE-INN IS THIS:
    SHOT A HUGE BUCK IN WHITEWATER(1970’S) AND HAD TO DRAG IT OUT FROM THE BOTTOM OF SOMEPLACE. BIG RACK AND HUNG IT FROM THE POLE BARN.
    POP’S, WHO IS 6 FOOT NOW, AND PROBABLY 6’2″ THEN, SAYS THAT WITH THAT DEER’S KNEES STILL IN THE DIRT, AND HIM REACHING AS HIGH OVERHEAD AS HE COULD, COULDN’T QUITE REACH THE TOP OF THE SHOULDER. THEN HE SAYS THAT WHEN HE PUT THE HEART IN A FIVE QUART ICE CREAM PAIL, THE LID KEPT POPPING OFF
    THERE IS A PICTURE AROUND SOMEPLACE, BUT I HAVE BEEN WAITING 10 YEARS TO SEE IT

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.