Bucks Locked at the Antlers… photo sequence!

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Sent out to us by J. Ebel

Here’s the story first and then a few pics to finish up.

Cherry Rd. – Columbus Wisconsin

This happened a few nights ago outside the town of Columbus. The guy that took the pictures is a Dane County deputy and the following is the story as told by the deputy.

“I found these two bucks locked up around midnight last night. At first I thought the smaller one was dead as it was down and other one was standing. At times the bigger one would toss the smaller one around like a rag doll. Amazing strength. I found the smaller one was very much alive and at times would get up and try to toss the big one around.

Obviously if we didn’t do something they both were going to die. When both were on the ground I had a good look at the smaller bucks antler that was locked with the big one. (only one rack of each were locked) I had an opportunity to try to shoot the rack and not hit either buck and my .45 hit home. The antler picture is of the one I shot off and it’s laying on the warden’s hood.

After the shot, both bucks bolted in opposite directions. I couldn’t believe they were able to run like that as exhausted as they were. What a cool night.”

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Photo #2

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Photo #2

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Photo #3

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Photo #3

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Photo #4… and everyone lives happily ever after.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Photo #4… and everyone lives happily ever after.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks for the pics h2o, I talked to a guy down here a couple of years ago that found two bucks out on the frozen Cedar River just out of the city limits here that were dead. Neigther was shot. He contacted the dnr, department of natural resouces and they came and got them both. They took them away both still locked up and sent him a letter later saying that they had them mounted and are on display somewhere around the Des Moines area. They thanked him for letting them know about the bucks. He said they both had decent racks. Nice to know that some of our liscense money goes to preserve nature at its best. Nice find!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks for the pics h2o, I talked to a guy down here a couple of years ago that found two bucks out on the frozen Cedar River just out of the city limits here that were dead. Neigther was shot. He contacted the dnr, department of natural resouces and they came and got them both. They took them away both still locked up and sent him a letter later saying that they had them mounted and are on display somewhere around the Des Moines area. They thanked him for letting them know about the bucks. He said they both had decent racks. Nice to know that some of our liscense money goes to preserve nature at its best. Nice find!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.