Who makes scrapes?

• SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I was told by a friend that does are the first deer to open up scrapes.I doubt this but hey ,I might be wrong.This guy is 3/4 full of BS anyway so I am asking for your comments .Whatya think?

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

My guess is that 3/4 of the ones I see are phony scrapes made by hunters.

Does play some role in rutting activity. From what I understand, bucks will begin tending does long before they are showing interest. Part of this process involves sniffing out does and usually they start scraping near (or even on top of) where a doe has urinated. Could be all hogwash too. One thing I’ve learned about whitetail bucks is that they are as unpredictable as the rain.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

My guess is that 3/4 of the ones I see are phony scrapes made by hunters.

Does play some role in rutting activity. From what I understand, bucks will begin tending does long before they are showing interest. Part of this process involves sniffing out does and usually they start scraping near (or even on top of) where a doe has urinated. Could be all hogwash too. One thing I’ve learned about whitetail bucks is that they are as unpredictable as the rain.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

The way I understand it the bucks make the scrapes and later the does come along and rough up the scrape and urinates on it. When the buck(or another buck)comes back to check and retouch the scrape he will smell the urine and trail the doe.

Obviously buck tend to any other scrape they happen to come across.

My two cents.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

The way I understand it the bucks make the scrapes and later the does come along and rough up the scrape and urinates on it. When the buck(or another buck)comes back to check and retouch the scrape he will smell the urine and trail the doe.

Obviously buck tend to any other scrape they happen to come across.

My two cents.

Gator Hunter

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve hear the same down here gator. The bucks activity starts long befor the doe’s does. All the good bowhunters down here say the same thing. I do know the doe’s urinate in them too.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve hear the same down here gator. The bucks activity starts long befor the doe’s does. All the good bowhunters down here say the same thing. I do know the doe’s urinate in them too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.