Found my buck

• jeff-rudy
    Rosemount, MN

Well somehow I got lucky, and I found my buck from my post “It happened to me.”

November 14 I shot the buck, and spent the next 7 days searching for him, covering miles and miles and thousands of acres to no avail. I’d finally given up, then got word from my uncle Tuesday night that a DNR officer doing soil samples on our farm saw a giant 10 point with a broken right front shoulder. Assuming my deer was still alive, I decided to get back in the tree for the first time this morning.

So at dawn I climbed into my favorite stand, the very stand I shot the brute out of 12 days prior. The area was ALIVE with deer. I counted 10 different bucks, all 2.5 or older, with 5 of them being fully mature 4.5 year old or better deer. Two of them were deer I was hunting; a giant non-typical I had been hunting all year at 40 yards, and another 150-class typical 10 I’d never gotten a shot on at 30 yards. I just couldn’t bring myself to shoot, given my experience 12 days prior. Around 9 am things quieted down, and for some reason upon getting down from my stand, I decided to talk a walk, something I never do. 75 yards down the ravine from my stand, on a trail I’d walked several times last weekend looking for him, I stumbled across my buck. I almost couldn’t believe my eyes. He’d been completely destroyed by coyotes in the interim, but I didn’t care. I was just happy to find him, and bring closure to the last 2 weeks.

I have no explanation for why I walked down that ravine this morning, other than my grandfather passed away 4 years ago today. Though I’m typically not apt to believe in such things, I have to believe he played some role in leading me down that ravine this morning. Perhaps its just coincidence, or perhaps it was his Thanksgiving gift from above.

My shot was nearly perfect; just as I’d expected, I hit the backside of his right shoulder blade, deflecting my arrow at a shallow angle. The broadhead blew through the shoulder, and was about an inch inside his chest cavity, right into his right lung. Amazing that he survived for over a week hit in the lung and with a broken shoulder.

He is a typical 6×5, but with a broken off kicker off his right base, giving him 10 scoreable points. May not make a difference, but at least I can contribute to Team 26 in the deer contest.

I apologize for the gruesome pictures – nature is cruel.

lick

Nice to finally have closure

Awesome buck ! !

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congratulations – What a cool ending! I’m very happy to hear that you (with the help from your grandpa above) finally found your buck! It’s ironic how some things work out. I’m guessing it was a very emotional day for you and one that you will remember forever.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Congrats!! They are amazing animals!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

I’m glad you got closure on that Buck… You will sleep better tonight

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Great to see, that is a brute for sure.
    Finding some closure on grand dads trail should lead to a sound nights sleep. Congrats!

rsballar6941
    Rochester, MN

Thats amazing..congrats on an awesome buck. Its so nice having closure, I know the feeling

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

I’m glad you found him. What a relief!

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Awsome congrats

rochy
    Arkansaw Wi

awsome buck, Im glad you found it!

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/SJU

congrats and way to be persistent on a deer…kudos to you…

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Wow Great deer, I’m glad to hear you found him and no doubt your grandpa played a part in his recovery.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Quote:

Wow Great deer, I’m glad to hear you found him and no doubt your grandpa played a part in his recovery.

X 2 Big congrats

gobbler
    Central, MN

Congrats!!! That’s awesome that you found him.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.