bowhunting tecniques for everyone

• lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I don’t worry about my scent too much. I bathe and wash my clothes in scentkiller soap but that’s about it. I usually hunt out of a tree stand so any scent rises above the deer. I also believe farmland deer aren’t terribly frightened by human scents as they smell them almost daily. As far as attactor scents, I use them when while bowhunting but am not convinced of their greatness. My two cents.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Mossydan

I know it is a common belief that rattling works much better when using a large rack to rattle with. I believe this is absolutely not true. It is silly to think that a large buck protecting his territory would come up to challenge bigger bucks that are sparring but not challenge smaller buck that are showing the same rutting signs. It is a not uncommon sight during the rut to see a larger buck chasing a smaller buck out of their area so they do see them as a threat to their action with the does. I think that they react similarly to rattling with a small basket rack as they do to rattling with a large rack. My two cents.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Mossydan

I know it is a common belief that rattling works much better when using a large rack to rattle with. I believe this is absolutely not true. It is silly to think that a large buck protecting his territory would come up to challenge bigger bucks that are sparring but not challenge smaller buck that are showing the same rutting signs. It is a not uncommon sight during the rut to see a larger buck chasing a smaller buck out of their area so they do see them as a threat to their action with the does. I think that they react similarly to rattling with a small basket rack as they do to rattling with a large rack. My two cents.

Gator Hunter

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Interesting Discussion. I agree with all and practice some of whats been discussed. I loved the comment about friends that do everything that seems wrong and still shoot a deer. The one thing all the guy’s I hunt with agree on is stand height. 22 ft. up or more has been the ticket for us. We believe at this height your scent is blown away from your direct vicinity. We use masking scent around our stand 20 yds. and in, but the height seems to dissipate our scent out away from our stands. Now the ticket is practicing shooting straight down! As far as food goes, water to drink and anything that doesn’t make much noise, a baggie with some cashews and M+Ms in it. A couple pieces of good peppery venison jerky.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Interesting Discussion. I agree with all and practice some of whats been discussed. I loved the comment about friends that do everything that seems wrong and still shoot a deer. The one thing all the guy’s I hunt with agree on is stand height. 22 ft. up or more has been the ticket for us. We believe at this height your scent is blown away from your direct vicinity. We use masking scent around our stand 20 yds. and in, but the height seems to dissipate our scent out away from our stands. Now the ticket is practicing shooting straight down! As far as food goes, water to drink and anything that doesn’t make much noise, a baggie with some cashews and M+Ms in it. A couple pieces of good peppery venison jerky.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I aree Gator, I know rattle bags bring in lots of big bucks, atleast 140″ and up. I’ve heard guys say thats how they got thiers. I use a bigger rack so the sound travels farther and if a bigger buck is near by he might raise a heavier eyebrow to the sound of and older buck in his territory with maybe a bigger rack. I know they chase as many younger bucks away as they can because theres more of them. On alot of these tecniques i know there is a fine line to whats being said and at times its hard to explain that to the readers so i common line what im reading and think of all the scenarios it could produce if im not exactly sure. I know its better to leave an open mind to what a guys saying and to not make my mind up quick. I know bucks come like the devil to the noise of a tree stand being wraped around a tree or tent poles being set up. Thier adrenaline is just pumping this time of year. Lots of times a guy can just walk into the woods, sit down and shoot a deer, its the other times i want everything i can working for me. I do believe a deer can scent a human and tell how close he is, close or a ways away, not too much to worry about kind of situation so he dosen’t get real nervous. Guys here in Iowa are the same as guys up there, both the guys that aren’t really concerned about scent that much because they see plenty of shootable deer anyway and the ones who are, they both get deer. I just want everything going for me i can if i can get close to one like i rattled in 5 years ago, completely breathtaking but wasen’t close enough for a shot. Blackpowder yes but not bow, he was 190″ and was 13 5/8th” off the worlds record, i don’t want to make mistakes. Some local guys highpowered him and i talked to the local dnr and they told me his measurements. They said he had 12″ browtines and 4 16″ tines on both beams and they were straight up and straight as an arrow. He was one with very few deductions. Unbelievable buck. This site is great. I know that southern minnesota is full of big deer. The Iowa border is just a border and the timbers and corn and beans the same. The state record whitetail in weight was taken in Alamakee county quite a few years ago, 440 pounds, lots of cyotes up there now and down around here too. Thats a hop, skip and a jump from Rochester. Northern minnesota and wisconsin it might be diffrent up there. Im shure theres big ones up there too, I’ve just never heard of anything big coming from there which there might have been. You guys wouldn’t belive the deer we have right here in town. Theres two huge monster bucks and one is definately a new worlds record, the other is his smaller brother and the dnr here has thier pictures. Ever think about the Bigger ones that are rarely seen, if ever, by hunters and they just grow old and die? Im shure there are some.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I aree Gator, I know rattle bags bring in lots of big bucks, atleast 140″ and up. I’ve heard guys say thats how they got thiers. I use a bigger rack so the sound travels farther and if a bigger buck is near by he might raise a heavier eyebrow to the sound of and older buck in his territory with maybe a bigger rack. I know they chase as many younger bucks away as they can because theres more of them. On alot of these tecniques i know there is a fine line to whats being said and at times its hard to explain that to the readers so i common line what im reading and think of all the scenarios it could produce if im not exactly sure. I know its better to leave an open mind to what a guys saying and to not make my mind up quick. I know bucks come like the devil to the noise of a tree stand being wraped around a tree or tent poles being set up. Thier adrenaline is just pumping this time of year. Lots of times a guy can just walk into the woods, sit down and shoot a deer, its the other times i want everything i can working for me. I do believe a deer can scent a human and tell how close he is, close or a ways away, not too much to worry about kind of situation so he dosen’t get real nervous. Guys here in Iowa are the same as guys up there, both the guys that aren’t really concerned about scent that much because they see plenty of shootable deer anyway and the ones who are, they both get deer. I just want everything going for me i can if i can get close to one like i rattled in 5 years ago, completely breathtaking but wasen’t close enough for a shot. Blackpowder yes but not bow, he was 190″ and was 13 5/8th” off the worlds record, i don’t want to make mistakes. Some local guys highpowered him and i talked to the local dnr and they told me his measurements. They said he had 12″ browtines and 4 16″ tines on both beams and they were straight up and straight as an arrow. He was one with very few deductions. Unbelievable buck. This site is great. I know that southern minnesota is full of big deer. The Iowa border is just a border and the timbers and corn and beans the same. The state record whitetail in weight was taken in Alamakee county quite a few years ago, 440 pounds, lots of cyotes up there now and down around here too. Thats a hop, skip and a jump from Rochester. Northern minnesota and wisconsin it might be diffrent up there. Im shure theres big ones up there too, I’ve just never heard of anything big coming from there which there might have been. You guys wouldn’t belive the deer we have right here in town. Theres two huge monster bucks and one is definately a new worlds record, the other is his smaller brother and the dnr here has thier pictures. Ever think about the Bigger ones that are rarely seen, if ever, by hunters and they just grow old and die? Im shure there are some.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

Shane
    Have you ever checked out that cornfield. I’ll bet there are a lot of tracks and mock scrape along the edge of it. If you find sign and have permission you should give it a try. The deer will usually tavel outside the rows allowing for a closer shot if you set up in a tree on the edge of the field. Just a thought.

Gator Hunter

Gator, I am only 300 yards away from that corn field and their highway comes into my clearing, I have been in the woods that i hunt since i was just a little kid. I know where the deer are and where they are going. I have done very well bow and rifle hunting. last year 3 deer, rifle. the year before, 5 deer rifle. I didn’t ahve a bow that year. but I look forward to deer hunting every year.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

Shane
    Have you ever checked out that cornfield. I’ll bet there are a lot of tracks and mock scrape along the edge of it. If you find sign and have permission you should give it a try. The deer will usually tavel outside the rows allowing for a closer shot if you set up in a tree on the edge of the field. Just a thought.

Gator Hunter

Gator, I am only 300 yards away from that corn field and their highway comes into my clearing, I have been in the woods that i hunt since i was just a little kid. I know where the deer are and where they are going. I have done very well bow and rifle hunting. last year 3 deer, rifle. the year before, 5 deer rifle. I didn’t ahve a bow that year. but I look forward to deer hunting every year.

shane

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Maybe this is why when you get to hunt deer its so much fun. Im shure that theres so many diffrent scenarios that work one day and not the other. I’ve been in timbers and tried one thing and it didn’t work, come back the next to the same spot and it does. I know that most of the deer i’ve seen aren’t that smart, but there are days when it seems that only the small ones are moving and then the next you see the bigger ones, on trails, following the edge of corn fields, standing right in the middle of bean fields watching the cars go by and bedded down 100′ from the road. Some times it just dosen’t figure. Then theres days when if you find just what thier coming to, if anything at all, its ok. Or thier just walking looking at other deer with no caution at all, even the does seem relaxed in the mniddle of rut. Its traffic city by your stand or you can’t by a buck, not even a small one only does and yearlings and lots of them but no bucks around anywhere. Where do they go and why, whats so important then in that part of the woods where thier at? Somedays its ideal conditions to see deer, so it would seem and not even see one and none to be seen on the way home. Maybe thats why deer sausage with cheese tastes so good, with or with out crackers and at any time of day to, sometimes it just don’t figure. I can hardly wait to go and see what the ruts going to be like this year. Im waiting until the middle of next month to play it safe lol. Boy i love bowhunting.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Maybe this is why when you get to hunt deer its so much fun. Im shure that theres so many diffrent scenarios that work one day and not the other. I’ve been in timbers and tried one thing and it didn’t work, come back the next to the same spot and it does. I know that most of the deer i’ve seen aren’t that smart, but there are days when it seems that only the small ones are moving and then the next you see the bigger ones, on trails, following the edge of corn fields, standing right in the middle of bean fields watching the cars go by and bedded down 100′ from the road. Some times it just dosen’t figure. Then theres days when if you find just what thier coming to, if anything at all, its ok. Or thier just walking looking at other deer with no caution at all, even the does seem relaxed in the mniddle of rut. Its traffic city by your stand or you can’t by a buck, not even a small one only does and yearlings and lots of them but no bucks around anywhere. Where do they go and why, whats so important then in that part of the woods where thier at? Somedays its ideal conditions to see deer, so it would seem and not even see one and none to be seen on the way home. Maybe thats why deer sausage with cheese tastes so good, with or with out crackers and at any time of day to, sometimes it just don’t figure. I can hardly wait to go and see what the ruts going to be like this year. Im waiting until the middle of next month to play it safe lol. Boy i love bowhunting.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I hear ya Mossydan. Bowhunting is the greatest sport (next to walleye fishing of course).

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I hear ya Mossydan. Bowhunting is the greatest sport (next to walleye fishing of course).

Gator Hunter

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Gator, A guy has to experience it to believe it. What a way to spend a fall, in the woods, in a tree and better than the movies, some people would pay for this but its free to us that hunt and fish.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Gator, A guy has to experience it to believe it. What a way to spend a fall, in the woods, in a tree and better than the movies, some people would pay for this but its free to us that hunt and fish.

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

I AM COMPLETELY CONVINCED THAT WE ARE ALL STINKERS TO DEER. IT IS JUST SO HAPPENS THAT SOME OF US ARE STRONGER STINKERS AND HAVE DIFFERENT FLAVORED STINKS MAKING US MUCH EASIER TO GET PICKED OUT BY MISTER BIG. KEEP YOURSELF CLEAN,GET TO WHERE YOUR GOING QUITELY, KEEP STILL LET NATURE DO THE REST. DEER THAT LIVE CLOSE TO POPULATED AREAS HAVE SMELLED IT ALL BUT YOU GET ONE THAT LIVES AWAY FROM EVERYTHING IS VERY SENSITIVE TO SOME STRANGE SMELL

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

I AM COMPLETELY CONVINCED THAT WE ARE ALL STINKERS TO DEER. IT IS JUST SO HAPPENS THAT SOME OF US ARE STRONGER STINKERS AND HAVE DIFFERENT FLAVORED STINKS MAKING US MUCH EASIER TO GET PICKED OUT BY MISTER BIG. KEEP YOURSELF CLEAN,GET TO WHERE YOUR GOING QUITELY, KEEP STILL LET NATURE DO THE REST. DEER THAT LIVE CLOSE TO POPULATED AREAS HAVE SMELLED IT ALL BUT YOU GET ONE THAT LIVES AWAY FROM EVERYTHING IS VERY SENSITIVE TO SOME STRANGE SMELL

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’m thinking on a stratagy that im going to try. You guys know the days when your in your stand and you see nothing but does. The bucks got to be somewhere doing something they like to do during rut. I know during rut they wear themselves out looking for does coming into estrous. There might be a few bucks catching up on thier rest but most are looking to breed. Is thier diffrent areas of the woods and fields that have higher concentrations of does coming into heat or are they scattered equaly over many acres. Do does by habit run together that are coming into estrous? Do they look out for one another for pesky bucks that are always following them? Thier are the stray ones that are alone, with or without thier fawns. I’ve seen 3 or 4 does and all have fawns by thier side, all in one group and no bucks around and thier not looking for bucks following them eigther. The next day you don’t see any of them, thier just in another part of thier woods doing the same thing there, just walking and browsing for food. Theres a reason why theres no bucks around them within an hour or two. Are the hot does in another part of the woods with other does that are close to coming in to heat? After all the does i’ve seen with bucks are alone. A buck follows a doe to wind her to see if shes coming in yet, no bucks, not her time yet. I’m going to set up my stand and if i don’t see any young bucks around, after calling, im going to set up in another part of the woods or even a fields egde, just something diffrent in hopes of seeing a few bucks. Even small bucks might be a sign that thier might be a higher concentration on hot does around and maybe some better bucks too. Use the bucks nose too tell me where the higher numbers of hot does are? Hunt where im use too and then try somewhere thats completely diffrent, maybe thats the ticket. What do ya think?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’m thinking on a stratagy that im going to try. You guys know the days when your in your stand and you see nothing but does. The bucks got to be somewhere doing something they like to do during rut. I know during rut they wear themselves out looking for does coming into estrous. There might be a few bucks catching up on thier rest but most are looking to breed. Is thier diffrent areas of the woods and fields that have higher concentrations of does coming into heat or are they scattered equaly over many acres. Do does by habit run together that are coming into estrous? Do they look out for one another for pesky bucks that are always following them? Thier are the stray ones that are alone, with or without thier fawns. I’ve seen 3 or 4 does and all have fawns by thier side, all in one group and no bucks around and thier not looking for bucks following them eigther. The next day you don’t see any of them, thier just in another part of thier woods doing the same thing there, just walking and browsing for food. Theres a reason why theres no bucks around them within an hour or two. Are the hot does in another part of the woods with other does that are close to coming in to heat? After all the does i’ve seen with bucks are alone. A buck follows a doe to wind her to see if shes coming in yet, no bucks, not her time yet. I’m going to set up my stand and if i don’t see any young bucks around, after calling, im going to set up in another part of the woods or even a fields egde, just something diffrent in hopes of seeing a few bucks. Even small bucks might be a sign that thier might be a higher concentration on hot does around and maybe some better bucks too. Use the bucks nose too tell me where the higher numbers of hot does are? Hunt where im use too and then try somewhere thats completely diffrent, maybe thats the ticket. What do ya think?

Viewing 19 posts - 31 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.