Another wild card in my scent control system?

• jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

I started this back in a camp with some folks that came in to film a Muzzy Bad to The Bone Bucks Hunt with 3 of us being filmed in front of the camera. What a rush and a great week and I harvested a nice 10 pt. on film

The very first morning I was getting ready for the days hunt, like any other day prior and the other 2 Muzzy Hunt folks and our camera men were huddled around a bunch of dried oak leaves that have fallen and they collected for their trips, they had a small batch smoldering like crazy belching white smoke and they were smoking up their light garments hats, etc and some of their outer gear including back packs and all, standing in the smoke and getting all smoked up.

It actually had a nice smell to it that I have gotten fond to every fall now.

I did not hesitate jumping in and joining, I figured these folks hunt for a living and if they take this as a serious step towards harvesting an old buck then I’m in. It all has something to do with momentarily messing up a deer’s sense of smell, disabling them to detect any traces of human when they cross your scent trail in the air, also the smoke tends to stick to your vapor trail as your body perspires working in your favor, There has been some studies say that the rosin in the smoke from the Oak leaves has some micro inhibiting agents in it that kills the growth of the odor causing bacteria.

For the most part deer are used to smelling wood burners and camp fires and people burning leaves or brush from a distance and have come accustom to the smell. I really have to admit, I have seen some really cool stuff watching some mature bucks that snuck around down wind crossed your down wind draft and knowing how alert these animals can be at times yet you see a sign of curiosity and then back to their normal walk.

I don’t know how much is really fact but I will say I have been extremely close to some old wise deer and never been busted, You never see the deer getting stiff legged or blowing alarming everything around,

The majority of us all say we hunt the wind – but watch your camp fire some time and take note how many times the winds and breezes shift directions. Take the fact on how difficult it can be at times hunting in the bluffs with all the whirl winds this extra step can pay big dividends on the harvest of a nice buck

I say it has worked well, the folks that taught me the trick depended on it to give them the extra edge on the hunt, While in hunting camps folks would look at you funny on the first day, but by day three they were asking if they could join you, this happens many times.

I collect only “Oak leaves” in the fall and throw them in a old nylon feed bag versus plastic, the bag does not break, then because Jessica has long hair and normally it’s just me smoking up I bought a mini Weber grill and use this grill only to smoke up my clothes and myself – this works nice because I can control the smoldering white smoke with the grill over and get a lot of smoke out of a small batch of leaves.

A good smoke up will last a day or more, I like to let the smoke flow up into the bottom of my shirts by pulling the bottom out and letting the smoke flow up and flow out around my neck. I also smoke up the inside of my Scent Blocker Fleece top by holding it over and letting the inside fill up as it puffs out the top, I will also do the scent blocker pants by holding them upside down and treating the insides. They also get a small treatment on the outside while doing all this and then I either put them and go hunt or throw them in their scent proof duffle bag which some of the smoke is still coming out the clothes as they are being packed away. Some times if the clothes smell fresh enough in smoke I will hunt a couple days on a good smoke up.

Having the pants treated on the outside as well as your gloves helps when walking to and from your stand or blind because if you happen to brush up against some shrubs or brush only the smoke will be left on the plants versus your possible human scent. – Have you ever had a deer come up to your tree and freeze because it just sniffed a small twig or branch you may have touched while getting ready to climb in and then watch the deer blitz out of area and some times blowing the alert.

It is really cool to see the same scenario take place and watch the buck or doe actually start licking it or forgetting it and moving along as if you were not there. Gloves and hats and pants are a priority

It only takes a few minutes to smoke things up with the mini grill I usually have the cover cracked open 1 inch, as stated before a large hand full of Oak leaves will go along ways, start the leaves on fire, cover them with the small pile of leaves then just keep working the air to keep them smoldering, and you will have a plume of white smoke coming out ready for treating your gear, I like doing this in an area out of the wind it is easier to get everything done nice. I have taken my bag of leaves and mini grill along on hunting trips as well.

Now you did notice I said I treated the inside of my carbon clothes, no mistake yes I smoke them up.

Another cool thing I always chuckle about is when the neighbors get busted and you got a pissed off doe blowing like crazy and fleeing their area and running straight at you coming from down wind, Running from danger and blowing yet running directly into my arrow – ka chink –meat in the freezer, you gotta love it.

shednut
    22 feet up

Great post! I’ve never done this but I’ve been thinking about it lately. My family used to lease an 80 acre farm and I’d stay at the old farm house on weekends. We heated the house with an old woodstove and it would fill the valley with woodsmoke on calm mornings. I had a stand that I never got busted in and I could always smell the woodsmoke, some on my clothes but mainly just lingering in the calm morning air. I’ll have to give this a shot.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

I like that idea Jeff The one I like the best around here is standing in the barn or leaving clothes in the barn. Stays in your clothing for a long time just like smoke, and both are very natural to a deers nose. If there is a time that I can’t hunt farmland I will definately try the smoke idea!

big_g
    Isle, MN

The barn thing definitely works My cousin proves it every year. Last year, I was hunting in the Bemidji area and the neighbor at the cabin next door, was picking up leaves all day… then about 4:00 PM, he lit the pile. I was directly downwind of his little party… at first, I could hardly see, as it got going. Once the smoke thinned out, I could see pretty well. I watched 9 deer, walk “through” the smoke, directly down wind of me and were none the wiser. The closest one got was about 30 yards…. they were does and yearlings so I wouldn’t have shot anyways, but they had no problem with the smell of smoke….and I felt I had the best cover scent possible

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

It can defiantly make a difference on the all day sits when dealing with the wind shifts all day

Good luck folks

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

I seem to remember that enlightning morning Jeff.

jaren

Quote:

I like to let the smoke flow up into the bottom of my shirts by pulling the bottom out and letting the smoke flow up and flow out around my neck.

This works the proof is hanging all over the walls of his house! I have witness this event taking place, it’s a sight you must see at least once in your lifetime.

Jeff, mom has a couple bags of oak leaves for you stop by the cabin when you have a chance.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.