Hunting Pressured Bucks What works for you

• jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Hunting these big old bucks can be challenging and at times frustrating let’s hear what has work for you.

My best piece of advice is if possible, deer cameras have been one of the best investments possible

They allow you to see what’s in your area, and their favorite times of travel this is interesting because you will see how the hunting season pressure changes their habits

It allows you to see what is on your property for building confidence and patience.

With all that focus on the dandy bucks that you favor that frequent the camera pictures theses will be resident locals a picture of a single mega buck on camera may mean he’s cruising on the edge of his parameter and seeing this buck again may be rare.

Pay attention to the wind!

Patience is a must once you show pressure do to taking a chance you may have just pushed him to another area.

This is my tip let’s hear yours

Jeff

tres_pezon
    Plymouth, MN

My evening hunting tip…be in a tree/blind during light rain showers. Rain seems to calm the big boys down a bit. Overcast skies also seem to get them on their feet and moving around a bit earlier than normal.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Great list going so far….these are the two that I have had drilled into me since a started to hunt.

1) Spend as much time in the tree as possible, especially during the rut. You never know when your buck of a lifetime will pass your stand. It gets tough, but all day sits are very productive. Bring a magazine, electronic game (battle ship is my favorite), crossword, etc to pass the time.

2) Be prepared. Range objects before game is present. Make sure your bow is quickly accessable and there are no obstructions while drawing. Visualize senarios. Hunting is just as much mental as it is physical. Remember to stay calm and don’t rush a shot.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Hunt your best spot on the best days!! Especially before a cold snap or before the rain/snow is supposed to stop/start during the evening. Just like last friday, a lot of members reported seeing a TON of activity, i as well shot a doe and saw 11 deer. Get in the stand while its raining/snowing and be prepared if its supposed to let up before dark for deer to enter fields

lick

rule #1 if you plant it they will come

small plots in secluded areas will bring big bucks out during daylight hours to eat

martysddw
    EC, Wisconsin

Quote:

rule #1 if you plant it they will come

small plots in secluded areas will bring big bucks out during daylight hours to eat

X2 and then some.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Something I’ve learned is they didn’t get big and old by being stupid. I’m presently checking an area with my cam and I’m getting pictures of small bucks and does. I meant to put the camera here because I didn’t think the big bucks were here but using an area close by. I’m trying to narrow down the unproductive areas leaving the areas where I think they are and not going there until I decide to hunt.

Probably one of the best things I’ve learned is be there about an hour before the sun comes up, go in quietly and leave quietly after dark. I glass an area before I go in to see if there’s any deer that I can’t see with the naked eye so as to try to not be seen. All day sits are a must to me, one of the reasons is because I use calls and I don’t want to spook a deer, doe or a buck if I’m leaving or entering during the day that has partially come in, then spook the rest of the herd. If I’m up in a tree they don’t know I’m there and I’m keeping it that way. Good travel routes between a bedding area and where they feed is a good bet too, a guy has to be careful because if an old buck see’s something he doesn’t like or is use to hes alot more cautious after that, especially because he doesn’t see that person the rest of the year. When the does start to come into estrous that’s the time when big bucks are the most vulnerable and sometimes they run blind after a hot doe. To me being careful and trying to figure out what the deer are doing in the area are also important. There’s dozen’s more to think about and try to remember because I know that I’ve more then likely have just one shot.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Do any of you guys spray down your cameras before you put them out??

TeamBurbot

If it were me i would hunt when everyone is back at the house. they may jump a big one up on thier way out. or when no one wants to be out like when its raining. good luck to you.

lick

I personally will not bowhunt in the rain as the rain washes away a blood trail very quickly and I believe that it doesnt do any good to shoot a deer if you cant find it but thats just me

abster71
    crawford county WI

second that gut but you need to keep close eye in case that weather breaks. So when it’s ? I’ll be out there praying it quits under my tree umbrella

abster71
    crawford county WI

If your bucks are pressured it’s time to invest in more stands or find some more property. one place I have I can’t get to the back property till after the crops are picked which is awesome like hunting a whole new world. only problem is I don’t know what kind of animals are there, but its rut time and the bucks you see may not be there now anyway. The most I hunt a stand even in good wind is two set in a row then rest for 4 or5 days hard too do when the big boys are there.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

I always have more fun during a sit when I see more deer so I pick high visibility spots. I am no expert but especially in high pressured areas I move to my stands closer to the thicker areas of the woods. I may not see multiple deer but these mature whitetails are not coming out to the green fields during daylight around me so I try to pick an area in some cover where they feel the safest walking during daylight. Then haloween hits, I try to be in the timber, close to the thick stuff but in an area more open where the does are comfortable moving a little during the day.

Anonymous

drive em out on the last day of the season! A well executed 2 man “push” with one poster and one driver works very well

when your buddy gets tired of walking, call it quits.

shednut
    22 feet up

If you have a good buck on your property, don’t wait till november to try to kill him. Find his bedding area and setup as close to it as possible. Once the rut hits, use terrain features to catch cruising bucks.

Find his shed, find his bed, make him dead

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.