How many of you folks have done this?

• jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Yep – opening weekend (Day) a super nice looking buck presents himself and you decide jeesh it’s opening weekend this is so cool but with all this luck something better has to show and you let it go —- only later wishing that that opening weekend buck should have been the one.

3 years in a row I let a super buck go during the opener

2005 – MFLD, WI – opening Sat morn – a nice 10 and within 12 ft of the tree — had a hunt at BBO in Buffalo County for the rut, couldn’t wreck that opportunity.

2006 – MFLD, WI opening Sat night while sitting in Jessica’s stand another dandy 10 all over underneath and scraping – was hoping for a repeat for Jessica another day

2007 – Nelson WI –Buffalo County opening Sat morn a super nice 11 begging to be shot – nope this is to quick, wouldn’t want to wreck all the fun and there’s diffidently bigger bucks roaming around.

All in all it was ok and for the most part it paid off but it’s always something to think back on!

Have a blast!

Have a Great Hunt Folks

lick

not this guy never pass up opening day what you would shoot later on is my motto always extra doe tags and could camera for the mrs or buy a mn tag and beg a few guys to let me hunt over there

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve done it a couple of times on opening weekends. I always convince myself that it has to be an absolute monster for me to take a shot. No regrets but I have passed up on a couple of good bucks that I go Not even sure why I bring my bow anymore on opening weekend… I know…. just in case…

Good luck this weekend!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I would say you are a true sportsman. It’s not always about the kill, it’s the whole experience. I have a hard time shooting something early. I have had some chances but nothing I regret. The rut is just too much fun for me. Opening weekend I hunt, but until late October I don’t mind chasing grouse, or walleyes.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I’m a shooter.. Not enough time for hunting anymore, don’t get a lot of opportunities to even get out.

whittsend

Put the to ’em!

There are always ducks, geese, grouse, pheasants, doves, walleyes, coyotes, bear, fox, walleyes, bass, muskys, panfish, rabbits, squirrels, fall colors, football, beer, dog training, etc, etc, etc to being doing/hunting/seeing during the fall. Oct/Nov is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short!

stickerpoint

Well i shot my first buck on opening day. then the next year i played the passing game and ate my buck tag, so this year i put one down on the first day.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

To me its about the hunt. If i shot a deer opening weekend i wouldnt know what to do till shed hunting starts.

whittsend

Quote:

To me its about the hunt. If i shot a deer opening weekend i wouldnt know what to do till shed hunting starts.

AHEM…. There are always ducks, geese, grouse, pheasants, doves, walleyes, coyotes, bear, fox, walleyes, bass, muskys, panfish, rabbits, squirrels, fall colors, football, beer, dog training, etc, etc, etc

herefishyfishy
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

AHEM…. There are always ducks, geese, grouse, pheasants, doves, walleyes, coyotes, bear, fox, walleyes, bass, muskys, panfish, rabbits, squirrels, fall colors, football, beer, dog training, etc, etc, etc

For years I have neglected the other sports….Opener is good for me I could still video!

neusch303

Been burned enough playing that game. Now days, I know what’s in the area and what I want to take (minimum size). That way if an animal of equal or greater size presents them self first thing first day. I plant them where they stand and smile at my good fortune.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

All depends, I’ve let decent, not huge, bucks walk early bow hunting in the year, only to eat the buck tags two years in a row… Sat my butt on stands every night through muzzle loader and didn’t see a buck…

Guess it will be a judgement call if the opportunity arises…

Jami

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

All depends, I’ve let decent, not huge, bucks walk early bow hunting in the year, only to eat the buck tags two years in a row… Sat my butt on stands every night through muzzle loader and didn’t see a buck…

Guess it will be a judgement call if the opportunity arises…

Jami

Agree with Jami… no right answer. Every hunter has to make this decision for themselves when it presents itself. I have eaten my Buck tags the last 5 years. I could have shot bucks, but chose not too. Do what you want and you can’t go wrong

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its all in the eyes of the beholder. If a guy thinks his buck is good enough for the wall or whatever he wants to do with it then it is, even if its a good memory. I’ve ate my tags for the last 3 years also but I’ve had them until late season in case I got lucky and seen the biggest one in the county lol. Its all up to the guy who pulls the trigger and the enjoyment he has while hunting that deer.

gobbler
    Central, MN

I say shoot and go hunt in a different state. Or in WI you can gun hunt for another buck… in MN we aren’t as lucky. in 2005 i shot a buck on the 3rd day of bow season and party hunted w/ bows the rest of the way out. luckily i didn’t get into a situation where i would have been tempted. And if i did… i just let the buck go knowing that it would be better the next year if he made it?

Hammer time

lick

Quote:

not this guy never pass up opening day what you would shoot later on is my motto always extra doe tags and could camera for the mrs or buy a mn tag and beg a few guys to let me hunt over there

least now we know my word is good

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.