Minnesota ML Hunters

• scottsteil
    Central MN

So, who is in the same situation I am in? Haven’t seen a buck they wanted to shoot yet so you are going to be hitting the ML season pretty hard to get their buck?

Here is to some cold weather and snow

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

In MN I’m with ya Scott. I have not put much time here in MN and No time in ND this year due to various reasons.

I do not ML hunt, but I’m all for:

Quote:

Here is to some cold weather and snow

I still have 2 buck archery tags burning a hole and heading to ND this weekend!.

rbfishing

I certainly will be in the woods this next go around. Seen several small bucks throughout the first season and had one close to the 130 mark I passed with the bow. Hopefully those big boys show themselves now. So far this has been the worst season as far as brusier buck encounters I can remember. Good luck to the rest of you!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve got Two 4 day weekends ahead and plan on having the smokepole in my hand at least part of all 8 of those days. I hope to have a Ice rod in my hand the other part of those 8 days. Do you hunt in Central Minnesota? If so what area? I will be in the Nevis area myself. Best of luck to you!!!!!!!

fireman1217
    Eagan, MN

I’m in and can’t wait!!!! Looking for Mr. Big! There are a couple of them around.

Bad news – Former employee died last week and they are having a memorial service on Sat afternoon. Have to decide whether to miss Saturdays hunt or skip it and go hunting. I think he would have wanted me to go hunting.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

As most here already know ( ) I am giving ML season a go this year. I am really looking forward to it. Come on and snow already!!!

sunnyd
    Central Minnesota

My father and I are going to give it a shot this year…He already has a buck so he will be limited to shooting does, but I am going to show some restraint and will not shoot a buck smaller than his. Grab the smokepole and bring on the does…I am hoping to hear a report of corn off soon as we had 130 acres of untouched 200 bushel corn during regular firearms. Good luck to everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Same shoes here Scott. Bring on the ML season.

big G

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Yup, plenty of flat heads in the freezer, just no bucks..

Bring on ML. First time this year, hopefully I still remember how to shoot a gun…..

Jami

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Worst year I have had in a long time no deer down yet so yes bring on the ML season. I would go ML no matter what kind of season I have had I have become very addicted to this sport

fireman1217
    Eagan, MN

Quote:

I would go ML no matter what kind of season I have had I have become very addicted to this sport

Couldn’t agree with you more!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

I would go ML no matter what kind of season I have had I have become very addicted to this sport

Steve, can you share more as to why you wouldn’t miss ML?

I’m curious, this will be my first year partaking. What have I been missing in the past????

woodenfrog
    se mn

Count me in…no shooters yet. Steve do you have some QDM land for us to do some drives on. I like posting only.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Jami, for me late season if it is bow or ML,there is just something special and unique about it, especailly hunting in the snow. To top it off, I have seen more “TRUE MONSTERS or BIG DEER” in late season in the stand then I have ever have during the RUT and early season combined. The snowier and colder, the better.

I’m heading to ND this weekend and highs in mid – low 30’s and lows around 20 have me a lil itchy as this will be my first real sit in ND where I’m the one hunting. Stacie is heading back home for Thanksgiving so I will be solo. Hunting Birds and Deer on Thursday in Madelia and then it is off to ND for Fri-Sun. I’m on the edge of kicking this bug that has plagued me here the last few months and ready to drop da on about any P&Y. I’ve never felt such an itchy trigger finger from lack of hunting stand time, so we will see if I’m faced with a decision, what I will do????? The good Lord only knows!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Well I can understand the cold/snow. This past weekend was the first time I’ve got to sit in the stand with a little (and I mean little) snow. Only saw one deer, which met its maker. Rage in the cage….

But I’ve had my butt in the stand more this year than ever, and I’m getting bored with it…

I’m going to give it a whirl, hopefully something with horns will make a showing.

Jami

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

Steve, can you share more as to why you wouldn’t miss ML?
    I’m curious, this will be my first year partaking. What have I been missing in the past????

For me whitetail hunting in not just a passion it is an obsession , I think there is a song in there somewhere.

Rob hit the nail on the head there is something special about hunting the late season, for me it is with the ML for Rob it is the bow. The muzzleloader gives me just a little bit more of an edge than a bow but it is still more like bow hunting than gun hunting because for the most part you only have one shot. I also love hunting in the snow there is nothing like it, this time of year the deer are starting to change there patterns from the rut to a feeding pattern, find the food and you will find the deer. Like I said whitetail hunting for me is an obsession so anything I can do to extend my season I am all for. I am hoping that someday soon MN would consider extending the the ML season to the end of the year same as bow hunting, I see no reason why they should not do this.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Count me in…no shooters yet. Steve do you have some QDM land for us to do some drives on. I like posting only.

Pat no problem I can do a drive for ya, you stand in the road and I will drive by in my truck!!!

Just kidding of course.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Anyone having any success during ML hunting??

I’m seeing the same 6 does almost every night, but no bucks around… I’d like to see how the new ML works on one with horns.

If that doesn’t work out, then its back to stick and string for me….

The cold and snow is here, patiently waiting…

Jami

scottsteil
    Central MN

Jami..it has been tough so far. The conditions are just not right yet. Next weekend should be excellent. The wind this weekend will make it tough. If you have 6 does around…that is a good thing.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have three does that know they are safe where they are at. They venture out into the corn just enough to be safe. I have good buck sign, but none showing themselves yet.
    Coyotes are going DOWN this weekend if I see them!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Jami..it has been tough so far. The conditions are just not right yet. Next weekend should be excellent. The wind this weekend will make it tough. If you have 6 does around…that is a good thing.

More time alone to collect my thoughts…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.