Grunting at legal shooting time Saturday???

• Derek Hanson

Club Red!! Club red is the name a few guides chose for their business. Get a hold of Pat Foster. Or John/ Kelly Petrowske. Great guys and know the lake better than anyone up there.

Derek Hanson

kruger- I must also add that you will not be dissapointed with the sleepers Pat, John, and Kelly provide. Very nice houses (clean/warm) and they keep moving their houses constantly to follow the fish. The people at Hillmans are very nice people, but their houses are really not very nice (trust me). If you want me to go into detail on this send me a pm and I can tell you more specifically. The prices between Club Red and Hillmans are both the same as well. And if you are taking females or kids along, you will want to be in a decent house or they will make you miserable.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

How many of you start out grunting/rattling or bleating right away on gun opener? I usually do not start making any noise until after lunch just trying to be invisible for the morning.

I’m going to have my daughter in my stand this year so I thought I’d try to shake it up for her early. The more I think about it with all the shooting going on it seems like calling becomes futile?

What works for you?

Thanks,

Ferny.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I sit about 100 yards back into the woods and a buddy sits right along the field edge… he’s grunt happy, and starts grunting right away. I have shot numerous deer headed to his grunting I let him do all the work

big G

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i mainly estrous bleat at first light! depending on weather and stage of the rut, bucks move in the morning from bedding areas or are just getting up when the does get up. Either to a new place to lay for the rest of the day if its supposed to be warmer, or to search for hot does. To me, this is a prime time to call. The first 45 minutes and the last 45 minutes of light are my preferred times to call If youre sitting on a field edge, you can call but won’t be as good of a scenario unless you have a decoy out or something to make the buck come find you

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its no surprise how many guys kill deer with a gun,,,after they have learned how to bow hunt

deerdragger

For the past 6 seasons, I have grunted at the legal shooting time on opening morning…The first 5 years, I called in a buck EVERY TIME. My streak was broken last year. It was this consistant success that sold me whole-heartedly on the grunt call.

FYI – I use the True Talker and I always depress the reed to make it sound like a smaller buck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.