Before and after

• umichjesse
    Plymouth

and after…

umichjesse
    Plymouth

I thought I would change it up this year. I used the backstrap to make beef wellington, of the venison variety. It just may be the best thing I have ever eaten. Crispy flaky crust on the outside, melt in your mouth backstrap covered in buttered onions and mushrooms on the inside.

deertracker

So when are you going to post your recipe?

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Yes, please post your recipe! It looks excellant.

umichjesse
    Plymouth

Back strap or 4 5-6 ounce tenderloin fillets

1/2 cup shallots, minced

2 tablespoons butter

1 package of mushrooms, minced

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 (4 1/4 ounce) can liver pate (optional)

1/4 cup of butter

-dash of salt

-dash of pepper

3 tablespoons flour

1 can beef consomme

1/3 cup Madeira wine (or another red wine)

1 (17 1/4 ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets (Philo dough), thawed according to package directions

1 egg, beaten

1 teaspoon water

Saute shallots in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until tender (4 to 6 minutes). Stir in mushrooms; saute until all liquid is absorbed (8 to 10 minutes). Stir in mustard, thyme, salt and pepper; cool. Stir in pate and set aside. Saute the backstrap (fillets) over medium heat in 1/4 cup of butter 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove backstap (fillets)and sprinkle with dash of salt and pepper; set aside. Blend flour into pan drippings; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in consomme and wine. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute. Stir 1 table spoon of mixture into mushroom mixture. Cover remaining sauce; refigerate.

On a lightly floured surface, roll 1/8-inch of pastry large enough to fold over back strap (fillets). Put half of mushroom mixture in a line down center of the sheet, place steak ontop of mixture, and top with the remaining 1/2 of the mixture. Fold pastry overlapping only enough to seal; trim if necessary. Pinch edges to seal, moistening slightly with water. Place seam side down on well-greased baking sheet. Refrigerate, covered, several hours.

To Bake: heat oven to 400. Combine egg and water; brush over pastry. Pierce top of pastry several times to allow steam to escape (or cut designs like apple pie). Bake, uncovered, until golden brown (about 25 minute). Heat remaining wine sauce and spoon over when served if desired.

It takes awhile to prepare it but it will impress anyone, probably even the folks at PETA. If this isn’t the ethical treatment of an animal, I don’t know what is…

deertracker

Quote:

It takes awhile but it will impress anyone, even the folks at PETA. If this isn’t the ethical treatment of an animal, I don’t know what is…

Well put. Thanks for the quick reply.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

YUM!!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanks for sharing umichjessie! This looks very good! We are always looking to add recipes to our venison. We will certainly give this one a try.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.