I am not a good guide…

• umichjesse
    Plymouth

I spent the first two days of the Zone3A season “guiding” two friends who had never hunted the bluff country of SE MN. I had let them know that we practice QDM on the farm and that from the trail cam pics it seemed to be paying off. From the pics and the 30 deer we almost smeared on the highway on the way down Friday night, they were pretty pumped for Saturday morning’s hunt.

We sat in three different stands along my favorite ridge. The other side usually gets pounded on opener and the deer come pouring over to our side. Unforetuneatly the bum-rush of deer from the neighbors drive never happened. However, we still were treated with a typical SE MN experience minus any buck sighting. We each saw a few does, a lot of turkeys, and a couple of grouse. I saw the same beautiful red and white coyote twice. I have shot other coyotes down there with quite a bit of reddish fur but I have never seen one without any brown or grey on it like this one. We all passed on shooting does (and the coyote) because we each expected a buck any minute and we didn’t want to scare it away with a loud shotgun blast.

After lunch we headed back to the same ridge for the last five hours of the daylight. I thought that I had them in good spots, but I was the only one to see deer the rest of the day. A basket eight and a basket ten walked by ten minutes before legal shooting time ended. Considering we only saw two deer between three people, that is one of the slowest afternoon/evenings that I can remember down there.

One of my buddies left that night to hunt with his family up north. I am sure he thought that SE MN was over-rated, but that is what can happen when you only hunt one day.

On Sunday, my remaining buddy and I set off to a different part of the farm. I set my buddy up on the edge of small ravine and a small overgrown hay field on top of the ridge. I set up 200 yards across the field where the ridge drops down a couple hundred feet to a trout stream in the valley below. I remember noticing how bright the moon and the stars were. After what seemed like forever waiting for the sun to come up, I realized that we got up an hour early due to daylight savings time ending. I had set my cell phone alarm to wake us up, knowing that the cell phone automatically changes time. Now I know that it only will change the time if it has a signal from a tower, stupid bluffs Oh well at least we were early, not late. I figured that my buddy is either sleeping in his stand, or he thinks that I am a real die hard hunter to drag us out to the woods this early.

The morning started out pretty slow, nothing but more squirrels and more turkeys making a racket somewhere down the hill from me. Finally at about 9:30 I hear what sounds like a heard of buffalo running straight up the hill. The hill is so steep that I can only see about 30 yards into the woods before it drops off out of sight. The hoof beats continue up the hill until a doe and a tall narrow 3 1/2+ year 8 pt stop panting like dogs directly under my tree. I normally would have taken the shot but I had some recent trail cam pics even bigger deer from the area emailed to me so I held off. He chased the doe around the field a couple of times and then she took off towards my buddies stand. The ridgetop field had enough curve to it so that both deer dropped from my sight as they neared my buddy. 30 seconds later I hear the blast that I was hoping for, and it was a single shot which is usually a good sign. I got down out of my stand to congratulate my friend. On my way to his stand, I saw the deer laying out in the field so I walked over to it before he got there. It was the doe. In his excitement he never even noticed the buck following her. He didn’t have any bonus tags so I offered to tag it for him so he could continue hunting for a buck, but he said that he would tag it. He was happy to have some meat for the freezer and he was done in time to watch the Vikes beat the Chargers. While I was unsuccessful in guiding my buds to the bucks that I all but guaranteed, I still had 2 ½ days to hunt so I had not given up on finding myself a shooter. That evening I hunted the edge of a corn field. I had 3 does, a spike buck and a 2 ½ year old eight walk by before dark, no shooters. Where were they?

That night I came to the conclusion that the bucks have to be with the does, and the does were feeding the corn at night so I should hunt the edge of the corn in the morning and hopefully intercept a buck on the way back to bed. I climbed into my stand the next morning and the wind was unbearable. The tree was swaying back and forth so much that my backpack came unhooked from the bow holder it was hanging on and dropped to the ground. The wind ripping over the bluffs, across the corn, and through the trees was as loud a jet engine. It didn’t take me long to conclude that there weren’t going to be any deer out in the open in winds like that. I departed to another stand a ways back in the woods but still on top of the ridge. It was still blowing like crazy. I sat there for an hour until I had enough. Even the squirrels couldn’t hang on.

I grabbed my climbing stand that I had stashed on top of the ridge and crept down into a sheltered ravine. The roar of the wind was still loud overhead, but barely a leaf fluttered down at my level. A hundred yards down the ravine I spotted two does bedded down on the opposite side. I back up twenty yards so that they were out of site around a corner and proceeded to climb a tree. Thankfully the roar of the wind up top covered the noise of my stand. I settled in for what could be a long wait. I figured that the deer wanted to avoid the wind as much as I did so I determined to stay put until the wind died.

Here is the ravine:

I had been reading a book for about hour when I saw a tail flicker out the corner of my eye. Normally I can hear dear before I can see them so I often read to pass the time. A doe had snuck with fifteen yards of me. She looked over her shoulder just as I heard a deep grunt behind me. I set book down and craned my neck. It was the beauty 10 point (actually 11 points with the extra 1″ browtine) from a trail cam pic taken 10 days before! The doe walked right below my stand with the buck trailing 30 yards behind her. He was headed directly towards me at my 3 o’clock. I had no shot but his spine until he turned to go around a tree and presented me with his left shoulder. My 3 inch magnum sabot hollow point went in one side and out the other. He jumped and ran a semi circle around in front of me before collapsing 20 yards to my 9 o’clock. If I hadn’t seen where he crashed it would not have been a problem trailing him because the blood trail consisted of two parallel lines of blood, often two feet up on the trunks of trees:

I had to wait until I stopped shaking before I climbed down from my stand. I admired him and said thanks for a few minutes and took a couple of pictures of the deer and self portrait with automatic timer on my camera:

I field dressed him and drug him half way up to the overgrown hay field. The hay field on top of the ridges is a 1 mile away from the farm in the valley so I took off for the farm to grab a four wheeler. On my way back from the farm I was stopped by a friendly CO. He saw that I didn’t have a gun and asked if I was trapping. I told him I had a buck down up top and he followed me with his truck up the logging road to have a look. He even helped me drag it the rest of the way out of the ravine to where I could load it into the four wheeler. He snapped this picture of me and we joked that it would make a great Polaris advertisement:

I washed the deer off at the farm and took some more self timer pictures up in an alfalfa field below the ridge we hunted Saturday. The view of the valley from up there is spectacular:

I love how dark he is, parts of his chest are almost black. He definitely will look great on the wall up at the cabin.

After this deer, I have a feeling that my friends will want to return next year for another “guided” trip. Maybe this time they will stick around a little while longer.

Which picture should I submit for the IDO photo contest?

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

WOW That is an awesome buck

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Thats a brute! Congrats! Great read as well!!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

That is one great deer….I hope my season turns out that sucessful!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Great deer. Great story! I’d submit the last one to keep it consistent with your avatar.

A good guide can do many things, but you can’t teach experience! And you have it! The persistence to stay out in the field and the experience to wait for the right deer.

Good job!

Eric

big_g
    Isle, MN

NICE

big g

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Good read and dandy Buck!!!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

awsome deer man! I have been trying to do the same thing with the patience game all year and it is starting to get frustrating watching all these deer go by! by the way submit that last pic it is a beautiful back drop and it makes him look the biggest of any pic! Congrats sir

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

That is an awasome deer! Congrats on the deer. Its great when all the planning and hard work and dedication comes together..congrats thats a life time buck in my eyes

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

That is a TANK

Congrats on a beauty! WOW!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Congrats on the great deer. That is a good story and great pictures

umichjesse
    Plymouth

Thanks everyone for the compliments, it was a great hunt and this deer definitely made up for not shooting the nice 8 pointer. I was starting to get worried when the wind picked up and I stopped seeing deer. I thought that perhaps I had blown my chance.

Quote:

Great deer. Great story! I’d submit the last one to keep it consistent with your avatar.

The picture in my avitar is from the same field 2 years ago. You can definitely see the similar genetics of the bucks down there.

umichjesse
    Plymouth

Two bowhunters who also hunt the farm and practice strict QDM emailed me some trail cam pics a week ago. Do you think this is the same deer? Look at the deer’s left brow tine, it has the same bend as the deer I shot.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

WOW

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Great buck! Congratulations! I say it’s the same deer in the trail cam pic.

pahaarstad
    metro

great story and WOW what a stud of a deer

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

That is a GREAT deer and story. I would go with the last pic as the colors really pop in it.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

What an awesome story and a GREAT deer. Way to stick it out and wait for one of the big ones you knew was there. Congrats!

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Great story…awesome buck!
    Congrats!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Awesome simply Awesome buck
    Great read, Great Buck, Awesome pics

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Holy moley! Moose of a whitetail & fantastic story!

umichjesse
    Plymouth

Quote:

That is one great deer….I hope my season turns out that sucessful!

I’d say your season was sucessful! Congrats
    mrjigger’s deer

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Great Deer, Great Story. Too bad your buds weren’t there to enjoy it! Maybe next time.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Great Looking Deer.
    after 60 days let me know when we can get it Measured.
    Congrats.
    Jack.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.