What makes a buck a shooter?

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I am terrible at judging a racks score, if I had to guess I would say low 130’s. Hopefully Jack will jump in here he could give you a better idea than I could.

scottsteil
    Central MN

If you are looking for actual inches, well, 9’s don’t net very well. It may gross 130 but the tine lenght is hard to tell by the pictures.

scottsteil
    Central MN

If you are looking for actual inches, well, 9’s don’t net very well. It may gross 130 but the tine lenght is hard to tell by the pictures.

PowerFred

Quote:

When a shooter walks out….you know it is a shooter. I have never had to look closely at a buck to know it was a shooter or not.

Whatever size that is, is up to you to decide. I see 120″ deer and all I can think about is how nice they will be next year. When I see 140″ deer…..

I agree 100%. If you have to ask yourself if he’s big enough, he’s isn’t. You’ll know when a shooter comes into view. The only thing you’ll think is “I want to shoot this deer!” There will be no second guessing.

PowerFred

Quote:

When a shooter walks out….you know it is a shooter. I have never had to look closely at a buck to know it was a shooter or not.

Whatever size that is, is up to you to decide. I see 120″ deer and all I can think about is how nice they will be next year. When I see 140″ deer…..

I agree 100%. If you have to ask yourself if he’s big enough, he’s isn’t. You’ll know when a shooter comes into view. The only thing you’ll think is “I want to shoot this deer!” There will be no second guessing.

big_g
    Isle, MN

This 10 nets 133, for comparisons.

big_g
    Isle, MN

This 10 nets 133, for comparisons.

I grew up hearing a saying by my father that I think holds very true..

“A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder”

Granted, some areas have better genetics, practice QDM, and offer great nutritional food sources. There are plenty of area’s out there that do not offer these. Therefore, the definition of a trophy is always changing, and who better to be make the determination of what constitutes a trophy than yourself. :waytogo

I grew up hearing a saying by my father that I think holds very true..

“A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder”

Granted, some areas have better genetics, practice QDM, and offer great nutritional food sources. There are plenty of area’s out there that do not offer these. Therefore, the definition of a trophy is always changing, and who better to be make the determination of what constitutes a trophy than yourself. :waytogo

shayla

For me, I would say what makes a “shooter” has come full-circle, an evolution that has taken nearly 30 years. I started out wanting to arrow any buck I could, antler size did not matter to me in 1978. Score never has mattered to me, I am more into mass, but now what provokes me to drop the hammer more than anything is my excitement and feelings at the moment. If I’m hunting from the ground and call in a spike in an exciting situation or am able to sneak up on a bedded 6 point, I am as likely to shoot it and be happy about it as I would if it was a world’s record. However, if the same deer just came ambling down the trail I probably would let it pass. I guess what makes a shooter for me is my emotions at the time.

shayla

For me, I would say what makes a “shooter” has come full-circle, an evolution that has taken nearly 30 years. I started out wanting to arrow any buck I could, antler size did not matter to me in 1978. Score never has mattered to me, I am more into mass, but now what provokes me to drop the hammer more than anything is my excitement and feelings at the moment. If I’m hunting from the ground and call in a spike in an exciting situation or am able to sneak up on a bedded 6 point, I am as likely to shoot it and be happy about it as I would if it was a world’s record. However, if the same deer just came ambling down the trail I probably would let it pass. I guess what makes a shooter for me is my emotions at the time.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Yep same here Scott. I will probably never out do my personal best, so a shooter Buck for me in most instances is 140″ 5×5 or a 130’s 4×4 and trying to harvest 3.5 or older. Usually the above Inches requirement fits into that category anyways.. The last 2 bucks I have harvested have been 5.5 and 4.5 years old.

IMO there is definitely no set Trophy size for everyone, as I believe each individual sets their own standard. Different parts of the country or pieces of property these standards could change.

Darin let me take a closer look at your 9 and I will give my best shot scoring it. I have been known to be pretty accurate here on IDA in the past. Hard to tell from 1 pic, but I’ll give her a shot.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Yep same here Scott. I will probably never out do my personal best, so a shooter Buck for me in most instances is 140″ 5×5 or a 130’s 4×4 and trying to harvest 3.5 or older. Usually the above Inches requirement fits into that category anyways.. The last 2 bucks I have harvested have been 5.5 and 4.5 years old.

IMO there is definitely no set Trophy size for everyone, as I believe each individual sets their own standard. Different parts of the country or pieces of property these standards could change.

Darin let me take a closer look at your 9 and I will give my best shot scoring it. I have been known to be pretty accurate here on IDA in the past. Hard to tell from 1 pic, but I’ll give her a shot.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Ok I come up with 128″ gross and about 121.5″ net.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Ok I come up with 128″ gross and about 121.5″ net.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That’s pretty close to what I eye balled. About 130″ minus 7 or so for missing the matching G2.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

That’s pretty close to what I eye balled. About 130″ minus 7 or so for missing the matching G2.

big g

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I did a quick search for measuring.

Table

This table would help to measure and get a close estimate of a rack. I used a similar one to measure my deer a few years back it would be more accurate tomeasure it than guesses from a pic.
    O4L

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I did a quick search for measuring.

Table

This table would help to measure and get a close estimate of a rack. I used a similar one to measure my deer a few years back it would be more accurate tomeasure it than guesses from a pic.
    O4L

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

protourbaits,

You mentioned the number 115 as a shooter, what does that look like? this is a pic of my best, it was 17 inside, 9 points and lots of mass, check out how the main beam spoons out to the end, and the tines go out. For reference, I am 6’5, 280 and the truck is a ford ranger What would this score, roughly?

I was going to say something close to what Lip said. Because of the tine length i would say gross 127″ net 119″ I really like that deer though I would definitely shoot that deer if he was 3.5 y/o or better

What did he score??

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

protourbaits,

You mentioned the number 115 as a shooter, what does that look like? this is a pic of my best, it was 17 inside, 9 points and lots of mass, check out how the main beam spoons out to the end, and the tines go out. For reference, I am 6’5, 280 and the truck is a ford ranger What would this score, roughly?

I was going to say something close to what Lip said. Because of the tine length i would say gross 127″ net 119″ I really like that deer though I would definitely shoot that deer if he was 3.5 y/o or better

What did he score??

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

My cousin scored it for me and said it was 130ish before deductions. Always thought that was high based on what some people have said about some deer on the sight, but I do not know much about scoring. The mass does not change much from the base to the ends of the main beams, they just flatten out at the ends and look like spoons. The longer tines I believe were around 9 inches from tip to mainframe, they point forward and not upright, but the Frame as I said is very unique. The son of thisone is running around out there this year, has the same frame, just a 10 in place of it. Hope I see it.

Thanks for all your input on this. I will be thinking about it and hopefully will make the right decisions during the season.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

My cousin scored it for me and said it was 130ish before deductions. Always thought that was high based on what some people have said about some deer on the sight, but I do not know much about scoring. The mass does not change much from the base to the ends of the main beams, they just flatten out at the ends and look like spoons. The longer tines I believe were around 9 inches from tip to mainframe, they point forward and not upright, but the Frame as I said is very unique. The son of thisone is running around out there this year, has the same frame, just a 10 in place of it. Hope I see it.

Thanks for all your input on this. I will be thinking about it and hopefully will make the right decisions during the season.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I think its in the eyes of the beholder too, even if its a doe. I like to wait things out trying to get a shot if im lucky enough at a big one. Two reasons why I hunt to the end of the season is im after a bigger buck of my standards, the other reason is my buck season will be over then, only doe culling after that if I decide to do that.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a smaller buck if a guy wants too especially if its going to be hard to get a doe like in an area thats hunted hard by quite a few hunters. Nothing wrong with filling a tag that a guy pays for. I think management is diffrent then what a trophy is, that you’ve planned and prepared for.

I feel the same way as what others have said here, when you see a shooter you’ll know it is. I know that Id take a big buck later in the season that was on his way downhill and wouldn’t rack out nice next year. Id use his rack for ratteling, a belt buckle or buttons etc. and the meat for hotdogs and sausage but would hold out longer for a doe to eat if there was enough days left to hunt and I thought I had a decent chance at getting one.

A guy can always be selective on the size of buck he takes even thought the neighbors aren’t and hope that they become selective in the near future. A small racked buck, anything under 100″ may be impressive where hunting pressure is hard but does a guy really want to take it just because its a buck and somebody else is probably going to take him, I guess thats up to him.

Lots of things become important like the amount of time someone has to hunt, hunting pressure when trying to fill your tag and the amount of deer in an area. To me trying to be selective and trying to hold out for a nicer deer is good standards but its not always possible. I usually buy a shotgun or blackpowder tag for meat on the table, I bowhunt for a wallhanger because of the challange and if I don’t get a shot at one or a late season doe I’ve already got meat for the table so its not a loss. Theres other scenarios and to me it all comes down to whats important to the hunter and what his trophy is. If its his first buck and a guy wants him, take him, to me most hunters standards probably raise after that, besides they taste good too!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I think its in the eyes of the beholder too, even if its a doe. I like to wait things out trying to get a shot if im lucky enough at a big one. Two reasons why I hunt to the end of the season is im after a bigger buck of my standards, the other reason is my buck season will be over then, only doe culling after that if I decide to do that.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a smaller buck if a guy wants too especially if its going to be hard to get a doe like in an area thats hunted hard by quite a few hunters. Nothing wrong with filling a tag that a guy pays for. I think management is diffrent then what a trophy is, that you’ve planned and prepared for.

I feel the same way as what others have said here, when you see a shooter you’ll know it is. I know that Id take a big buck later in the season that was on his way downhill and wouldn’t rack out nice next year. Id use his rack for ratteling, a belt buckle or buttons etc. and the meat for hotdogs and sausage but would hold out longer for a doe to eat if there was enough days left to hunt and I thought I had a decent chance at getting one.

A guy can always be selective on the size of buck he takes even thought the neighbors aren’t and hope that they become selective in the near future. A small racked buck, anything under 100″ may be impressive where hunting pressure is hard but does a guy really want to take it just because its a buck and somebody else is probably going to take him, I guess thats up to him.

Lots of things become important like the amount of time someone has to hunt, hunting pressure when trying to fill your tag and the amount of deer in an area. To me trying to be selective and trying to hold out for a nicer deer is good standards but its not always possible. I usually buy a shotgun or blackpowder tag for meat on the table, I bowhunt for a wallhanger because of the challange and if I don’t get a shot at one or a late season doe I’ve already got meat for the table so its not a loss. Theres other scenarios and to me it all comes down to whats important to the hunter and what his trophy is. If its his first buck and a guy wants him, take him, to me most hunters standards probably raise after that, besides they taste good too!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

For me, personally, it has to be a booner. I won’t shoot a buck this year unless it is a booner. I have came close twice with bow bucks, but I haven’t quite made the inches.

I think the term “shooter” is different for everyone. You have to evaluate what type of genetics you have in your area. In some areas 170″ deer, may be as big as they get.

Trail cameras and QDM help me set my goals for shooters. This year I know there are two booners in my area. I won’t shoot anything other than those two. Except for does.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

For me, personally, it has to be a booner. I won’t shoot a buck this year unless it is a booner. I have came close twice with bow bucks, but I haven’t quite made the inches.

I think the term “shooter” is different for everyone. You have to evaluate what type of genetics you have in your area. In some areas 170″ deer, may be as big as they get.

Trail cameras and QDM help me set my goals for shooters. This year I know there are two booners in my area. I won’t shoot anything other than those two. Except for does.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

For me it has changed as I grew and killed. The first deer I ever killed was with a bow. It was the coolest thing ever. I’ll never forget that. Took pictures and the whole ball of wax.
    Then after a couple 120″ class bow bucks the tables turned and I needed bigger. Then after a couple in the 140’s, ya start to wonder. 140 or better is always hard to pass up, they look respectable on the wall and all, but you also start to realize that shooting that 140ish will make one less upper 150 something next year.
    It depends on your spot too. If its around other good quality control hunters or none at all than your golden and can wait. If you know the neighbor will plug that 140ish, you better first.
    Like others have said and its proven true for me. No matter what stage of the game you are at, if you see him and know its right, do it. But if you see him and start thinking, you better let him go. But no matter what, an upper 130’s or better will always be respectable and look good on the wall.
    Its hard to one up yourself year after year.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

For me it has changed as I grew and killed. The first deer I ever killed was with a bow. It was the coolest thing ever. I’ll never forget that. Took pictures and the whole ball of wax.
    Then after a couple 120″ class bow bucks the tables turned and I needed bigger. Then after a couple in the 140’s, ya start to wonder. 140 or better is always hard to pass up, they look respectable on the wall and all, but you also start to realize that shooting that 140ish will make one less upper 150 something next year.
    It depends on your spot too. If its around other good quality control hunters or none at all than your golden and can wait. If you know the neighbor will plug that 140ish, you better first.
    Like others have said and its proven true for me. No matter what stage of the game you are at, if you see him and know its right, do it. But if you see him and start thinking, you better let him go. But no matter what, an upper 130’s or better will always be respectable and look good on the wall.
    Its hard to one up yourself year after year.

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

Good luck!!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.