Deer Hunting Question/Advice

• mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I am hoping to get out deer hunting this fall for the first time in my life. My outdoors love is slowly expanding each year and I’d like to add ARCHERY deer hunting to that this fall. In a few weeks, my wife and I are moving to a new location and below is a WIA that is 1 mile from our new house, so I am really really hoping that it will hold some wildlife on it. It is 52 acres and has a small creek that runs throw it with timbers along the creek. To the north is grassland, to the NE is a bean field, to the south is a corn field. Not sure about what’s to the west yet.
    Since I don’t live in this area right now, I have not scouted it or anything.

What advice do you have for a first time deer hunter on public land?
    What type of tree stand would you recommend since I would have to haul it in and out each day? Climber? Hang on with climbing sticks? What about a pop-up hunting blind? I already have a blind for Turkey hunting but I do not have any tree stands.
    Just looking for some things that I should be thinking about since I would be new to deer hunting..
    Sorry for posting this in the General Forum rather than the Deer forum, I wasn’t thinking there!

Attachments:
    1. WIA.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I like to hunt Pinch points along the travel routes between bedding areas and feeding areas. Try to locate the pinch points where they are the narrowest or smallest. I think a hang on stand with climbing sticks in the way to go. Climbers are nice but don’t always work well on a lot of tree’s. I’m not a big fan of ground blinds myself but know others who really like them. I just think a tree stand gives you a better overall view of the area around you, As well as getting you scent up off the ground.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

With respect to archery you’ll definitely require trimming. Shooting lanes and any tree you place a stand in. Small twigs will deflect arrows. The main ones of concern are the ones you dont notice when you’re focused on a shooting situation, especially in waning light. If you have you’re lanes pre-cut you’ll have your shooting windows established.

I’ll add another question: What do others think about a pop up blind in a situation where it needs to be removed each day?

For the guys that use them: Do you leave them out for extended periods so the deer can get accustomed to them? Pending concealment, I would be inclined to believe you may spook more deer if it’s suddenly there. Especially, in archery range.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

First of all it sounds like you are new to archery. You will need a lot of practice unless you will be using a crossbow. I’m not sure if that is an option in MN, but WI started allowing anyone to use a crossbow.

For a stand I would look at a hang on unless there are a lot of good trees for a climber. Look at the XOP line of treestands, they are a copy of Lone Wolf Stands and much cheaper.

http://www.xopoutdoors.com/

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Thanks for the advice so far everybody! Please keep it coming if you’ve got something to add.

With respect to archery you’ll definitely require trimming. Shooting lanes and any tree you place a stand in. Small twigs will deflect arrows.

Is this something that is allowed on WIA’s? I would assume not?

First of all it sounds like you are new to archery.

Not new to Archery, just new to actually using it to hunt. I’ve been target shooting for about 2 years now. Still (and always will) need more and more practice with it though!

I just think a tree stand gives you a better overall view of the area around you, As well as getting you scent up off the ground.

That’s what I was assuming in regards to ground blinds. I will have to get the boots on the ground and scout it out after we move in a few weeks.

Aaron

Ground Blinds can also be a good scent container since there are smaller spots for it to get out of. If you put it out every time I would spray it down really good when you get it set up. I’ve never had an issue with just putting them up and deer seeming concerned about it. I usually like to tuck it into a brush pile to blend in better. One of the big pros of a ground blind I’ve noticed is that you can pick you sit better your not hunting for just the right tree. Big con is that you visibility is reduce to really just your shooting lane.

If you get a stand there are pros and cons to both types and just the same as everything else one of everything is best ) I would scout it out to see what would work better for you in that area. If you don’t have big enough trees, you will be in a ground blind. Like someone else already said you need to make sure that your arrow path is clear of everything and make shooting points to stop deer in for your shot. Height of your stand is one thing that I have learned the last few years getting into archery. I found that any stand under 20 feet the deer would bust me easier. So the higher the better.

Placement for the wind is always critical to, which will help if you have to take down and set up everyday. Pick out a few spots and set them up depending on the wind for walking in and sitting. I usually set up three stands and try to make them a little different so the wind determines which stand I go to for the day.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I’ve never had an issue with just putting them up and deer seeming concerned about it.

In the spring while Turkey hunting, I’ve had deer walk out in front of me while I’m in a ground blind. They certainly seemed to be curious about it and wouldn’t get too close, but also weren’t in a hurry to leave the area either. Kind of like they new something was up but they weren’t bothered by it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Scouting will be key, but it will be a little difficult to see where the deer are moving until some crops get picked and leaves fall.

In that picture, there are several points where the timber next to the creek narrows down, indicating a possible pinch point. Of course that assumes the deer are moving in the timber at that point, but it’s worth scouting.

The way the woods come to a point down by the south end indicate that that area might have good entry points into the bean field to the south, but that might be all on private land. I don’t know where the line is, but worth scouting.

Stand vs ground blind all depends on what spot you find and what you have to work with when you find it. I can see pros/cons both ways, obviously with a WMA you’re going to have to be messing around with stand setup each time, so the key will be can you find a tree that’s quick and quiet to access where you can get set up without making an ungodly racket.

The ground blind, assuming you cleared a location in advance, could be faster to set up and quieter, but of course you don’t get the advantage of height unless you can find some natural terrain that lets you set up higher.

Agree with what Aaron posted re the wind. Wherever you find a place to set up, I’d try for at least 2 setup spots on that site, one for a west wind and then one for some other direction to give you a plan B to keep your scent from blowing over the trail.

Grouse

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

The way the woods come to a point down by the south end indicate that that area might have good entry points into the bean field to the south

Grouse, thank you! I need a veteran mind like yours to point out things like that to me! I see what you are talking about and that makes sense.

but that might be all on private land. I don’t know where the line is,

The line is basically the border of the grassland and the crops all the way around, somewhat of a triangle shape. The only entrance onto the land is via the SE Corner, park on the gravel road and then follow the path about 100 yards until you are on the WIA.

Being Public Land, I’m guessing I’d like to get further away from the entrance, assuming that some other people won’t walk in too far. And I am hoping that the creek will create some movement and hopefully there’s a few that’ll be passing through from time to time.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

All good advice so far, all I have to add is if you can use the creek to access your stand it would keep your scent down and should be quieter entry. If it’s lower in the creek you also won’t get seen by deer on entry and exit.

I have a ground blind, ladder stands, hang ons with stick and a climber. More often than not the hang on with sticks is the best option for me. I do use them all, but it’s usually a better fit for me.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tegg wrote:</div>
    With respect to archery you’ll definitely require trimming. Shooting lanes and any tree you place a stand in. Small twigs will deflect arrows.

Is this something that is allowed on WIA’s? I would assume not?

You’ll have to verify what’s legal. You’re obviously not going to bring in a chain saw or brush cutter but you definitely need clear lanes to put an arrow thru. It only takes one twig. Keep that in mind in your setup. Maybe look for natural lanes or windows with a little nip here or tuck there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.