Deck build pricing observation

• bigpike

I am building a 320 square ft. deck with green treat. I went to menards with a hopeful 3k budget. I used there design software and came up with a $4600 tag minus the stupid 11% or $4100. But cash out of pocket would still be $4600. Thankfully my closest Menards is about 70 miles away so I took my plans from Menards, made a few minor design changes and hit my local lumber yard.
    Small community investment is always my priority and I was curious on the cost difference. I’ve ordered and paid all my lumber costs up to the top deck. I still need to purchase all the railing and two sets of stairs and my current cost sits at $1500.
    I’m taking a wild guess that the rails and stairs are going to cost less than $1000.
    So for $2500 and the satisfaction of buying local my deck is making my 3k budget numbers look real good….

bigpike

Let’s not forget about customer service: I ordered the majority of my lumber yesterday morning. While they didn’t have the time for free delivery because of time restraints (I needed it delivered the same day) when I pulled in at 1 they had everything waiting for me and they hand pick each piece so I wont have to sift through warped lumber! Now onto the build.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

That’s great to hear but usually Johnny will beat the local lumber yard. Maybe the software was off.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

That’s great to hear but usually Johnny will beat the local lumber yard. Maybe the software was off.

I only buy Menards lumber if I’m working around corners.
    My local yards have always matched Menards pricing if asked.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Something doesn’t smell right with the numbers. One place or the other has the wrong prices. I find it highly unlikely they are that far apart on the same materials.

Are you specing thick deck boards at Menards instead of standard?

Smoker
    Blaine, Minnesota

I also find that hard to believe. I’ve done the same thing on a couple of projects and no one has beat menards yet. As far as asking a small lumber yard to price match a big box store- good luck with that.

queenswake
    NULL

I would think everything is still out of whack with lumber prices. If a store is still going through the lumber they bought at the high prices, don’t they need to keep the prices higher until that stock is gone? I would think the price to the consumer is hard for them to adjust quickly as their own costs have come down.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I also find that hard to believe. I’ve done the same thing on a couple of projects and no one has beat menards yet. As far as asking a small lumber yard to price match a big box store- good luck with that.

I do it all the time. I don’t ask them to beat the Menards price, just match it. 90% of the time they can, there are some item they can’t match but not many.

munchy
    NULL

Not sure what exactly you’re using but I’m guessing something was wonky in the design system. I’m seeing only $750 for 320sqft of treated decking. And looks to be less than $500 in joists. Obviously there’s other things to add but I believe the program was wrong.

Its great you’re supporting a local guy but I doubt he’s saving you that much.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The market has been volatile.
    It all depends on when the yards bought.
    It could have EASILY gone the other way.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Menards has some of the highest lumber costs around and to add insult to injury the lowest quality. Infact it seems they have their own extra crappy grading standards…

I MIGHT buy sheet stock from them but as mentioned you need to watch the cost.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Menards isn’t coming to pick up your returns by hand for full credit like most local yards either.

Menards probably isn’t sponsoring your local school’s booster club, trap shooting team, community rec programs, etc etc. Our local yard also covers all draftsman fees (whether they’re $500 or $5000) on homes where the shell lumber is purchased through the yard.

bigpike

Like I really care if any of you believe my numbers Lol. I’m just glad that it’s way cheaper than anticipated.

Attachments:
    1. 20210911_065046-scaled.jpg

2. 20210910_095345-scaled.jpg

bigpike

Day 2 and 3.

Attachments:
    1. 20210913_072408-scaled.jpg

2. 20210912_065250-scaled.jpg

bigpike

Day 4. Hope to have it completed by the end of the day tomorrow. Looking at less than 2,500 for everything including rental equipment. Now take that to Menards and prove me wrong cuz it would really mean alot lol!!!

Attachments:
    1. 20210913_164944-scaled.jpg

2. 20210913_072420-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Nice job pike!
    You even called in locates but what are those blue aluminum cans laying in a pile?

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Nice job pike!
    You even called in locates but what are those blue aluminum cans laying in a pile?

Looks like an art deco sculpture in progress but needs to be a lot bigger. I’m sure Big Pike is up to the challenge and working on it!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    Nice job pike!

Looks like an art deco sculpture in progress but needs to be a lot bigger. I’m sure Big Pike is up to the challenge and working on it!

It appears to be empty canisters of “Aiming Fluid.” It’s very versatile and most effective when using power tools and fasteners of any sort to help projects go smoothly and precisely.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Did the aiming fluid estimate come in high or low? Did your local liquor store price match? rotflol Looks great, and I’m sure a few latte’s will be had on that deck!

bigpike

Thanks! Budget included lattes and a 6er of canoe Paddler! 6 days of building / busting ass and maybe had 10 cans on the job. Everything done except stairs and a little trim work inside vestibule. I was a little p.o. at being 1/4″ off my span on deck boards 16′ over and 26′ but I think it was warp whistling

Attachments:
    1. 20210915_175615-scaled.jpg

2. 20210915_194316-scaled.jpg

bigpike

Since this is my retirement plan I might as well share the atv/ hiker/ hunter trail I put through the property to access the atv/snomachine trail that cuts through the property. 200 yards of gravel and pit run for 200 yards of trail 6′ wide.

Anyone care to guess the budget on that project?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7928.jpg

2. IMG_7931.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Well done Pike.
    Ya need someone to cut your stringers?

FYI – cant notch rail post anymore.

munchy
    NULL

Looks good Pike!

Not trying to pile on, but to go off of the EPG railpost comment, I notice you didn’t notch (can’t notch 4x4s anyway) the the support posts and just have the beams hanging off the sides of the posts. Relying on just the fasteners to support the deck is no longer approved and very dangerous. In the very least run to Menards and grab a handful of these and put them under each beam/post connection. Would hate to see someone injured or just all that work you just put in get destroyed from a big heavy snowfall.

Otherwise the work looks good!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210916-084634_Menards.jpg

bigpike

I have not installed the brackets yet as I just got them yesterday! Still working on it. If I get called for the posts I’ll fix them. Just what everyone had in the hood. Any oother questions. Yes hanger joist brackets are installed

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Hangers, 3″ in the rim and 1-1/2″ in the joist, filling every hole?
    Properly installed Lateral load connectors at the rim?

Just askin. wink

Anonymous
    Inactive

Please don’t take offense to this, but I hope it does not need an inspection, or you will be re-doing a lot. I’m sure it won’t fall apart, but not much of it meets code.

bigpike

Since Im a toolmaker by trade what if I cover the posts in 1/16 stainless with feet that attach to the main beam and the top deck. Say the full 9″ depth up to the bottom rail. Do you think that would be strong enough to pass code?

bigpike

Also for the main beams I’ll take 1/8″ stainless and make a truss support to cover each post from the edge of the ground brack up to the top of each beam?

bigpike

I’m kinda surprised you guys didnt notice the .25 degree angle I built it on east to west falling for rain drainage lol

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I’m kinda surprised you guys didnt notice the .25 degree angle I built it on east to west falling for rain drainage lol

Do you really think a .05236021″/ft slope is sufficient?

HRG

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.