West Okoboji Iowa Lodging – Habor View Resort

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

This is one of the units. It has it’s own deck overlooking the lake.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Each unit has a propane grill and there are several picnic tables in the courtyard.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

There’s a wonderful play area for the little tykes.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

And out back there is nothing but peace and quiet and Ryan’s fire pit. It’s a great place to spend time with family or spin a few fish stories.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I got an opportunity to spend 4 days at Harbor View Resort during the Walleye Opener on the Iowa Great Lakes and I wanted to share my experience with folks here. As some of you know, Harbor View is now being operated by our own Ryan Hale. Ryan is a very good host. He keeps the place clean and tidy. I got a tour of all the rooms and each unit has a kitchenette. Some units have two bedrooms. Ryan intends to keep Harbor View Resort as a family oriented resort which will be great for those with children, or if you just want to be away from the “partying crowd”. Another nice feature is that Harbor View Resort offers very reasonable rates for the Okoboji area. Ryan even offers discounts in the Spring and Fall. An additional benefit at Harbor View is that Ryan is also a fishing guide on the lakes and has fished the lakes since he was a very young child. A resort guest can hire Ryan’s services for a day or two, or one can sit down with Ryan and pick his brain for ideas on how and where to catch a few fish. Ryan’s very willing to give a little guidiance to those who stay at the resort. He’ll also make sure you have a place to park you rig if you bring your own boat along. And if you do, Emerson Bay boat ramps are just a short drive away. And there’s even a bait shop and gas station on the way. Shore fishing is available as well. I took some time to check out the bay near Harbor View and small mouth bass can be caught right off the dock. There’s 9-10 feet of water with scattered rock. Walleye at night is a good possibility. Additionally, one of the largest public beaches is about a 2 block walk from the resort. And I can’t forget to tell you about the fire pit out back. There’s nothing like sitting around the fire while visiting with friends or family. And the firewood, it’s free! If you’re really lucky you might catch Ryan on a night that he’s pan fried some marinated pheasant. I did! For you hunters, Ryan’s place would be a great place to stay in the fall. In addition to guiding on the lakes, he also is a top-notch pheasant guide (or at least his irish setter is).

Here is the link to the resort in formation and a link to Ryan Hale’s Guide Service…

Harbor View Resort – West Lake Okoboji (712) 332-2708

Ryan Hale’s Guide Service – Fishing Guide on Okoboji and Spirit Lake Iowa

More pictures to follow…

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

I have to say, I have only heard very good things about Ryan. Not only as a guide but as friend. I haven’t had the opportunity to use Ryan’s quide service or his lodge(will be changing that in 17 days), but everyone I have spoken with has been more than happy with their experiences with Ryan. And I can say this as a fact, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who is as freindly, accomidating, knowledgable as Ryan. He will make you feel like you are #1 in importance. I have spoken with Ryan many, MANY times and it wasn’t hard for me to make the decision to stay at Ryan’s lodge and use his guide services. You owe it to yourself to check out Hale’s Guide Service and the Harbor View Resort. You’ll have a great trip for a day, a couple days, a week, whatever……but you’ll have a friend for life.

Ducks

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Each unit has a propane grill and there are several picnic tables in the courtyard.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

And out back there is nothing but peace and quiet and Ryan’s fire pit. It’s a great place to spend time with family or spin a few fish stories.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

I have to say, I have only heard very good things about Ryan. Not only as a guide but as friend. I haven’t had the opportunity to use Ryan’s quide service or his lodge(will be changing that in 17 days), but everyone I have spoken with has been more than happy with their experiences with Ryan. And I can say this as a fact, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who is as freindly, accomidating, knowledgable as Ryan. He will make you feel like you are #1 in importance. I have spoken with Ryan many, MANY times and it wasn’t hard for me to make the decision to stay at Ryan’s lodge and use his guide services. You owe it to yourself to check out Hale’s Guide Service and the Harbor View Resort. You’ll have a great trip for a day, a couple days, a week, whatever……but you’ll have a friend for life.

Ducks

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Ducks

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Just a few more notes – perhaps more about Ryan than the resort – but if I know anything about him, he is going to have the resort in ship-shape. I wrote back and forth with him this winter as he was getting things squared away there… the fishing sounds great and I will be heading out in a few weeks to join Ryan for a few days of r & r and I will be staying at the resort. I know Ryan does things first class up-front so I know the resort is going to be fun and that after the intial trip here I am going to bring the family out later in the summer for fishing and fun! The kitchenettes will be handy to save some schillings to feed the little ones and spend more funds on bait and fishing! Chuckles

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Just a few more notes – perhaps more about Ryan than the resort – but if I know anything about him, he is going to have the resort in ship-shape. I wrote back and forth with him this winter as he was getting things squared away there… the fishing sounds great and I will be heading out in a few weeks to join Ryan for a few days of r & r and I will be staying at the resort. I know Ryan does things first class up-front so I know the resort is going to be fun and that after the intial trip here I am going to bring the family out later in the summer for fishing and fun! The kitchenettes will be handy to save some schillings to feed the little ones and spend more funds on bait and fishing! Chuckles

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

What are the Iowa Non-resident fishing license fees? Do they offer an annual only, or a 10 day?

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Here you go.
    Non-res fees for fishing.
    Year-$39.50
    7 day-$30.50
    3 day-$16.00
    1 day-$9.00

Hope this helps.

Ryan Hale

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

What are the Iowa Non-resident fishing license fees? Do they offer an annual only, or a 10 day?

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Ryan !!!
    I can’t think a a better person to deal with and I’m sure the Hale family will try and make everyones stay as enjoyable as can be..

Good Luck Ryan !!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Here you go.
    Year-$39.50
    7 day-$30.50
    3 day-$16.00
    1 day-$9.00

Hope this helps.

Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Here you go.
    Year-$39.50
    7 day-$30.50
    3 day-$16.00
    1 day-$9.00

Hope this helps.

Ryan Hale

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Ryan !!!
    I can’t think a a better person to deal with and I’m sure the Hale family will try and make everyones stay as enjoyable as can be..

Good Luck Ryan !!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Ryan !!!

Good Luck Ryan !!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I hope to some day drag my family down there to try out the “Lake bite”. Looks like a great place ofr us to relax, do a little fishing as well let the kids play!

Looking forward to it someday Ryan!
    Way to go!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I hope to some day drag my family down there to try out the “Lake bite”. Looks like a great place ofr us to relax, do a little fishing as well let the kids play!

Looking forward to it someday Ryan!
    Way to go!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.