Deadstick happiness

• buddah6

Okuma finally coming through with a smaller baitfeeder at Icast! Pumped to use this when it comes out.

buddah6

Can’t post screenshot or YouTube link for some reason. Its a okuma ceymar micro baitfeeder. You tube search on Okuma Fishing

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Well dam I might have to buy some reels to replace the bigger ones I have.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am not seeing it on their website to check out the specs. But I did hear him say in the video that it has 6 lb max drag vs the ABF-20B at 8 lb max drag.

tucrs
    NW Metro

That looks pretty sweet. I think it will fill a good spot in the market!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

A 500 on a TUCR dead stick will be amazing!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Oh this is going to cost me doah

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Nice! Cant wait to throw it on my TUCR Deadstick. I don’t mind the bigger one but that new one looks real nice!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

These will team up pretty good with my thorne bros rods. I’m glad I didnt buy the other baitfeeders yet

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I’ll be setting up a couple more deadstick setups for use in the wheelhouse, and these are what I’ll be going with for sure. Not that I’ve really had a problem with the larger size, but these will be sweet!

Anyone have the model #s for the two “500” size baitfeeders?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Anybody see a side by side of the ABF-1000 and ABF-500?

tangler
    Inactive

Anybody see a side by side of the ABF-1000 and ABF-500?

What are you looking for specifically? The link my my post right above yours shows that they are the same gear ratio, same bearings, and same drag. Less than 1/2 oz weight difference. They don’t appear to be printing the spool capacity specs for the Avenger just yet, but assume they are same as the CBF shown in the other links.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The pictures I have found on the Avenger looks like the spool is half the size. I am just wondering how much smaller everything is. Without seeing it side by side it is hard to estimate.

curleytail

That’s awesome! I really enjoyed using my Avenger last year but it’s certainly bigger and takes up more space in the rod case than it needs to. I like the price of the Avenger and the 500 should be very nice for panfish and walleyes.

Ryan Wilson

I really like the idea of a size 500 baitfeeder but I’m having a hard time coming up with a practical use for it other than maybe for crappie. I’m not a walleye guy so I cant say how well a 6lb max drag would hold up to one, especially a decent one.

Bassn Dan

Has anyone seen the weight specs for the 500 size?

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

the link above says 6.7 oz for the avenger

curleytail

For those concerned about the drag, I think a 6 lb drag will be plenty for most anything we fish for except the big stuff like sturgeon, lakers, or big pike. I think most of the time if we weighed our drag on a straight pull off the spool it would be a lot less than we think it is.

papaperch

I was hot to buy these reels. Was supposed to be available in September. September now here no reels for sale yet.

Why do manufacturers do this ? Hype a product that is not available yet. Then supply is no where to be found.

They must think it builds a pent up demand. All it does for me is tick me off.

uninc4709

I was hot to buy these reels. Was supposed to be available in September. September now here no reels for sale yet.

Why do manufacturers do this ? Hype a product that is not available yet. Then supply is no where to be found.

They must think it builds a pent up demand. All it does for me is tick me off.

It’s only the 3rd of September… have a few months before ice is even a thought.

404 ERROR
    MN

These will team up pretty good with my thorne bros rods. I’m glad I didnt buy the other baitfeeders yet

Buy mine and I’ll replace em with these…

Bluegill89

What will the issue with 6 pounds of drag be? Not enough power for a solid hookset?

Bassn Dan

What will the issue with 6 pounds of drag be? Not enough power for a solid hookset?

500 size reels are usually going to be used for smaller fish and with line less than 6 lbs for ice fishing so 6 pounds max drag is more than enough.

curleytail

I could land a BIG fish through the ice with 6 lb drag. Try it sometime. Set your drag to 6 lbs straight pull and then run line through your guides and load the rod with the line and see how hard you have to pull for the drag to slip. Be careful if using braid because you’ll stand a fair chance of cutting your fingers before the drag slips. Or crank that drag down and try to pick up a 5lb bag of sugar. I think it will feel like the rod will break before you can budge the sugar.

6 lb drag will be no issue for any fish targeted with these reels. Even if a much bigger than average fish/different species gets hooked up.

EDIT: The max drag of a 500 series Shimano Sahara is 6 lbs, and the 1000 is 7 lbs. This Okuma seems to be right in line with other similar size reels.

Ryan Wilson

So, a size 500 has the potential of being a nice ultralight walleye reel? Good to know. In my mind, I’d skip it for ice fishing and use a size 500 baitfeeder on the river fishing dry flies and nymphs on my UL spinning setup. It would make it much easier to feed the line downriver without keeping the bail open. Just pull the line out and flip the switch when you get bit.

Intriguing….

So, a size 500 has the potential of being a nice ultralight <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye reel? Good to know. In my mind, I’d skip it for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing and use a size 500 baitfeeder on the river fishing dry flies and nymphs on my UL spinning setup. It would make it much easier to feed the line downriver without keeping the bail open. Just pull the line out and flip the switch when you get bit.

Intriguing….

No, for open water it’s way too small.. jester

Seriously though, I’d go with the 1000 size for ultralight walleye for open water, you’ll want more leverage in the bigger system.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.