Daytime channel Cats???

• tim hurley

Going crappie fishing this weekend, the lake is connected to a river that has a good population of channel cats. Cannot get out there at night, so is it worth it to try for channels during the day? This river does not have much of anything in it (this stretch anyway)except for channels-would you target them differently during the day?
    Thanks

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

I fish channel cats all the time during the day. As far as targeting them, I let the conditions determine my game plan and then adjust based on how and where they are biting.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

tim hurley

Thanks Ryan-should I sit and wait or troll slowly for them? I will look for a pool in this river. Should I be at the front back or middle of the pool? Do cats show up well on electronics during the day?
    Thanks

Captainbrad
    Red River of the North

I always anchor in the Red River for catfish and I fish 98% of the time in the daylight for channels. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION and work the clock to stay on fish. Not sure what electronics you run but if you have side imaging you can find catfish easy any time. It is the getting them to bite part that is sometimes the challenge.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Tim – sorry I missed your follow up questions. I fish on anchor in rivers, but there are many guys that drift/slow troll for river cats.

I spend most of my catfishing time on the Mississippi so I’m usually looking for some sort of structure that creates a current seam or break. The conditions determine where those spots are at on a daily basis and also where the cats will be on those spots. With as up and down as the river has been this year, each trip is unlike the last for me.

I’m no pro with my electronics, but I can see fish on 2d and side imaging. I’d be lying if I said I knew they were cats or something else.

I usually give spots 20-30 minutes then I’m off to the next one. I’ll add a few minutes if we catch a fish. I never really expect to catch more than 1-2 fish per spot, if any at all.

tim hurley

Great tips guys-how late into the fall do you fish them?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Tim where will you be fishing. Channels can be targeted 12 months out of the year. If you can get to them they will bite and fight.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Brad wrote the book on channel cats (literally) and not taking away anything you wrote Ryan ’cause it’s spot on.

I fish the outside bends on the current seams. If I can’t find them in a spot I think they should be I’ll move laterally, closer or further away from that seam.

Since channels aren’t laying on the bottom like a flathead it’s pretty easy to pick them up on side imaging.

Fall is a great time to target channels and always a welcome bonus fish when targeting Sturg.

tim hurley

Thanks Brian, did not see your reply-will fish the Snake or the Croix.

Captainbrad
    Red River of the North

Great tips guys-how late into the fall do you fish them?

I guide until water temps hit 50. Below that I find that the bite can be too inconsistent to take people’s money. I didn’t say I quit fishing for them however. We were jigging cats from wintering holes last year the week before thanksgiving in 36 degree water. Not lights out numbers but really really fun on light tackle. I don’t ice fish them up here for a variety of reasons but you can do it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.