Cut the line or through the gills

• youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

I should actually start a poll but I don’t feel like it. How many of you fisher-people cut the line vs the ‘through-the-gill’ method for releasing a deep hooked fish?

I’m a through the gill type myself. I think its best for the fish. I’ve done it enough times that I can get in and out without doing any damage to the gills and quickly so the fish isn’t out of the water any longer than a normal unhooking. But when I am fishing with someone new… many haven’t heard of this method. So I wanted to throw it out to the group… what do you guys think?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Thru the gills is the way to go. Imho

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Not sure I know the through the gill method?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Great question. I asked a DNR this question and he said he advocates doing what you’re comfortable with.

Take for example the “Once a year angler” he has no business going in through the gills to remove a hook. Even though leaving in a hook is not great, it does give the fish a better chance to live when dealing with inexperienced anglers. That said, he told me to teach as many anglers as I could to go in through the gills because removing a hook with little to no damage will always be better than leaving a hook in a fish.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Through the gills for me as well

Jeff Schomaker

I go through the gills and then dump some sprite in there to help stop the bleeding. Just can’t be in a hurry with it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hope you mean Gill plate, because anything through the gills is going to kill the fish. devil

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Not sure I know the through the gill method?

Matt, here is a video of the method

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I go through the gills and then dump some sprite in there to help stop the bleeding. Just can’t be in a hurry with it.

Hope this was a joke? The process should take 2-5 seconds and I’ve never seen any bleeding?:???:

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What the shock

What Joe said is what I experience.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Maybe he meant dump some sprite on the windsor to stop his gums from bleeding? )

sktrwx2200

Curved forceps… through the gill.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I have also heard quite a few people mention the sprite/Mountain Dew trick for stopping bleeding, though I have no experience with it…

Jeff Schomaker

Actually it wasn’t a joke. I always keep a bottle of sprite in the boat Incase there is any bleeding. Look it up. It’s not something I made up. And when I say take your time I mean don’t get in a hurry and risk damaging a gill. I’m not saying it’s a long process.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Actually it wasn’t a joke. I always keep a bottle of sprite in the boat Incase there is any bleeding. Look it up. It’s not something I made up. And when I say take your time I mean don’t get in a hurry and risk damaging a gill. I’m not saying it’s a long process.

Gotch ya! and I’ll look up the Sprite thing. Thanks

And just something to add to this topic. If you have a damaged gill that’s bleeding, 99% of the time the fish is going to die. If it’s blood from the stomach or mouth, from what I’ve experienced the fish will be just fine.

I compare it to a human, if you cut a major artery you’re in trouble. Verses if you just suffer a flesh wound you’ll probably be just fine. Both bleed, but the out comes are very different.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t really buy the soda trick. And I can’t imagine dumping a beverage full of caffeine on gills of a fish is going to help, although they may enjoy the buzz.

Have you noticed when fish bleed in the water or you clean fish and dump parts in the water that the blood tends to clot/clump as opposed to diffuse through the water? Water aids in clotting fish blood so returning them to the water quickly is key. That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Through the gills

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

haven’t tried it that way before, but it makes sense.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I fish on average 3 days a week sometimes more. I cannot remember the last time I hooked any species of fish that deep. I’m generally a walleye and smallies guy, but rarely using live bait is probably the reason. Lindy rigging doesn’t happen often for me. The whole drop the line and let them take and chew on it for a bit isn’t my forte.

I’m on board with what most people have said. I know fish can potentially live with a hook, but if there’s a chance to get it out I’d use the gill plate method.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

So far it seems overwhelmingly through the gills method is the preferred way. Joe Scegura made a good point though… best not for someone who is inexperienced to start ramming around the gills for a hook. Its good to practice with a fish you intend to keep if you’ve never done it before. Unhook it and put the fish in the livewell… see how it does.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m with Joe’s DNR fella.

I use 10/0 hooks and normally go through the gill plates but there are times were it’s better for me to cut the hook. I bought a $70 wire cutter just for this.

Cut the hook in the middle and use a needle nose to grab the barbed end and pull it out. Obviously a flatheads mouth is a little bigger they a walleyes so that helps too.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’ll get the hook out with least harm possible. Rare to deep hook a fish, for me.

I don’t remember the last time I use a “Lindy rig” or slip bobber

Joe Scegura made a good point though… best not for someone who is inexperienced to start ramming around the gills for a hook. Its good to practice with a fish you intend to keep if you’ve never done it before.

Good advice practicing on keeper fish. Everybody has to learn sometime.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.