St.Croix Bluff park “fishing” report 7.21.03

• nick
    Lakeville, MN

Well it wasn’t what I call a good day fishing, I hit the river from bluff park tried dragging some jointed shads, 1 firetiger, 1 crawfish pattern, nothing on either one of those, switched up to a rebel crawfish, nothing… I was marking a fair amount of fish in the 10ft-12fr range I suspect most of those were striped bass. I also switched to a snagless bottom bounces with a yellow spinner dragging a nightcrawler, I got a small smbass, and a couple other hits, but nothing else. I also ran a lindy rig with about a 2.5 foot snell and a crawler and I also tried a leech, nothing on that setup. I also tried in 50ft of water both a jointed shad, and a deep running reef runner brown pattern, then moved in and fished along the the shore 20 ft to 13ft just above the launch. Nothing there either. Tried pitching a white mister twisterand bumping that back to the boat with no sucess there either.

On a good note for those striped bass fisher people out there man alive were they hitting, right outside the bluff park channel, you could see them all surfacing, and all you need to do it toss anything out there and wham you has a striped bass, ( I used a rattling rap and a rebel crawfish both worked great) I also picked up a 1# smallie doing this too. I had to bring some fish in the boat. I had to be off the water by 8:15 so I didn’t get too much time fishing, but heck is was still better than sitting home waiting to go to work.

One person I talked to at the launch said they picked up a couple northerns and a musky trolling the J-5 rapala. no ‘eyes.

Anyone got any suggestions for me on what I could’ve done different, or should’ve tried?

letsgo

Was out for four hours Monday afternoon, trolled cranks, caught three Sauger all too small. Did get a 29 inch Northern and 27 Musky. Took nothing home, but enjoyed the day.

mike t
    St Paul, MN

In that area and just south of the bluffs park, I’d try pulling cranks on the shoreline breaks in 10-30′, varying your depth regularly. There’s a particular shoreline stretch between the launch and Carpenter Nature center I think could be really productive, but have only fished it for Muskies. Also, across the river and just to the north, there’s a very productive stretch of shoreline, look for the dock that says “knee” on the post. Both trolling or live bait rigging have worked for me there.

Planer’s can be deadly with that tactic, running a shallow diver up on the beach and a couple deep divers @ boatside on the down rods, covers a large swath of water and you’ll be better ale to pattern them. Remember, on the river 3 rods are legal per guy.

Mike T

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

3 rods per guy??? Only for WI residents. I think MN is resticted to 2.

MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

TWO RODS ONLY for Minnesota residents!

mike t
    St Paul, MN

well that’s news to me, and to the DNR guy who checked me last week as well!

I wonder why the distinction between residence? What if you hold a WI yearly?

hey, there’s another Mike T in st paul!

Mike T

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I thought you were talking to yourself for a second until I spotted he has a “.” at the end of his name…lol

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

This is straight out of the MN 2003 regs page 47:
    Border waters:

WI–MN Regulations
    • Two lines with a single lure or bait on each are permitted. If fishing with
    one line you may use two baits.

Here’s the only thing I could find on WI Regs:
    It is illegal to:
    to fish with more than three hooks, baits, or lures.

I thought the WI law for 3 lines was only for ice fishing but I was unable to find it online?

Ferny.

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

WI regulations say 3 lines all year for residents and non-residents. From what I have been told, though, MN residents are only allowed 2 lines on border waters, even if they hold a WI non-res. license. But in WI inland waters, MN residents can use 3 lines with the WI non-res. license. It would be nice to have a definitive answer on this, it has been a source of contention in the fishing club for quite a while, since we have guys from both states.
    Get this- we had a contest on the river a few years ago, and a guy from MN, who held both licenses, was stopped by the sherrif (sorry, don’t know what county) to check for life jackets, etc…. The sherrif was gonna give him a ticket for fishing with three lines, saying that he was a MN resident and therefore only allowed 2 lines on the border water, and he argued his way out of it, saying he had a WI non-res. license and that entitled him to 3 lines. Even the county sherrifs don’t know exactly what the deal is. Like I said, sure would be nice to know for sure…. Very confusing

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

This seems to come up from time to time but in discussion long ago, it was confirmed by Warden Stone that because of MN/WI border water agreements, MN residents HAVE to stay within the rulings set for residency. A guy from Montana or Indiana or anywhere that doesn’t involve this border agreement is able to use the WI allowances “IF” a WI non-res. license has been purchased. If they buy a non-res. MN license, they’re still stuck with the MN rules. It’s a “you can’t win” argument for MN residents so those who’ve gotten away with it are absolutely fortunate.

Jon J. gave me tail dancer over the verdict so I can’t forget it.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Yep. That’s correct. Border water rules.

Minnesota Resident = 2 lines.
    Wisconsin Resident = 3 lines.

Don’t matter what license you have or what side of the river you are fishing. And I’ll bet anyone a #7 Firetiger Shad Rap to prove me wrong!!

I can’t lose that bet twice! (Last time I bet it was 2 lines period, regardless of residency)

Jon J.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.