Sauger Spawn?

• greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

Went out today around 10:00 and fished until 3:30. Brought home 4, lost the 5th at the side of the boat due to rusty one-man netting skills. The single male walleye, as well as 2 male saugers, had emtpy stomachs. Absolutely nothing in there. The female sauger that I kept because she was hooked badly was still full of eggs, as well as a few others that I threw back. Same story from my buddy who was out last night. What’s the deal with the saugers (lack of) spawning? I would have assumed they’d be done by now.
    And with all those empty stomachs, why are they not biting better????

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

not sure ont he spawn I believe the up and down in water temps a few weeks ago might have some fish so confused they might not even lay I know some fish will absorb eggs I have heard when we have whacky temps at the wrong time but it is only a matter of time before them empty tummys gotta fill back up it is the first week just let time tell the story sir good fishing

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

In my experience over the last 30 years, the saugers on the Croix always spawn later than the walleye. And quite a bit later than their pool 4 brethren.
    I think they will end up just fine.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.