Bass ?

• like_mike-ike
    Burnsville, Minnesota

I am planning on making a maiden fishing voyage on the St. Croix this summer (Early-Mid June). I know that the smallie fishing is where it is at, but will it be worth my time to attempt looking for largemouth at all?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

In a word, no, but Im sure someone will chime in that has found some.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I had the good luck to come upon a blow down during a high water period last year. Most of the top of the tree was in the water. Two casts with a tube and caught a 17.5″ and 18″ largie on consecutive casts. They are too few and far between to target consistently on the ‘Croix. More of a smallie habitat for sure.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

I agree with Suzu and SteveO, but with largemouth in nearly every lake in the state – give me the smallies. They also like to school more than largemouth so if you find one, you’ve got a good chance at a few.

Try tube jigs, Carolina rigged lizards, and topwaters. They are shallow early in the year.

Keep catchin’
    Turk

like_mike-ike
    Burnsville, Minnesota

Thanks. I don’t have a lot of experience with smallies. Hopefully I can get them to cooperate. The neat thing is, the few I have caught have been a ton of fun.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I have been fishing the Croix since ’92 and have picked up only a handfull of largmouths. Until last year we picked up 6 in one night after work. They were right with the smallies. Maybe it was because the smallies were on fire late summer so I quit fishing eyes and just targeted them???

Ferny

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.