High and dirty water

• Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

High and dirty is the water and it’s rising still. I understand that the water should crest at 682.5 on Saturday and that is going to and is complicating an already tough bite. a bite dominated by 14 inchers. So far the ratio is 10-15 to one, meaning 10-15 14″ers to one legal!!
    Last year at this time it was great fishing reported by many anglers. But that’s fishing….As the saying goes they are always biting somewhere, and knowing where they are not is one step in finding where they are…does that make sense?! Anyhow good luck!

Keep catchin’
    Turk

letsgo

Where are the Sauger? Seems to me that last year it was normal to catch as many Sauger as Walleye. Been out twice this year and caught lots of undersize Walleye. Not one Sauger so far. I blame me for the undesize Walleye, just like with pan fish, small ones are easy to find, but the big ones take time on task. However the lack of Sauger is a mistery to me. That said, I do prefer Walleye over Sauger, I think pound for pound a Walleye out fights a Sauger, and when filleting them have noticed the Walley is much firmer.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Hudson launch is closed until further notice.

Great news as I have a couple of buddies flying in for the weekend. I’m already “fishing challenged”. This will just be another another bump in the fishing road. Well, at least the weather is supposed to be good and the beer will be cold.

shale
    Stillwater, MN

I was wondering if anyone knows what level the no-wake goes into effect? I thought is was 683?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

682 is the no wake level. Yesterday in the Afton area it was at 680.5 and rising. The good news is that Tuesday morning, I picked up two legals and many shorties. In the afternoon, a friend reported picking up a 16 and 17, plus many shorties in an hour and a half.

It’s surprising to me that the higher water hasn’t made a differance in the bite.

I met a coulple real friendly wardens on the river yesterday. I was boating a small eye when this green Lund Exporer with a white Honda motor was putting by. I needed my needle nose pliers (I dropped it in the river ealier) when they pulled up next to me. I was focused on getting the hook out and they scared the out of me. But they let me use thier pliers. A couple very professional guys. Checked my fish and Lic and off they went with a “have a good day”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.