12 pound 4 ounce Croix walleye….WOW!

• ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Anybody catch the Sunday Pioneer Press paper?
    Inside there was a pic of a 12 lb. 4 oz. walleye.
    That’s almost twice as big as my biggest Croix eye:-(

Awesome fish!!!

Ferny.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Who’s gonna get that pic on here ? We’d all like to see her and here the story behind the big catch.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

couldnt find it online… checked both the st paul and Mnpls papers for Sunay!…….

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

OK, let’s see how this comes through…..(See attachment above and view at 100%)

This is scanned from the Pioneer Press, not the greatest image due to black & white print, then scanned, but here goes…

The caption reads:

“Don Kasel of Woodbury hold a 12- pound, 4 ounce walleye he and friend Rick Hoyer caught in the St. Croix river on Nov 16. Kasel said they took turns reeling in the fish,which had a 19 inch girth and was 30 3/8 inches long. The fish was caught just south of the interstate 94 bridge. Anglers say the walleye fishing has been good in the St Croix in recent weeks.”

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I don’t suppose there was anything said about the fish being released??? And how do we get these guys to start posting their techniques here? It’d be fun to know what they were doing when they got that beauty!

Another goofy thing……………….their stated location is an area that I haven’t seen a boat in for weeks! Must’ve been during hours I wasn’t passing through!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

There was no more to the story other than what was in the caption at the botom of the picture.

I’m wondering if he had it weighed at Beannies? And if he got it in the Big Louie? That would certainly be the biggest walleye I have heard about on the Croix in a long time. I think Harry Stiles got that last 12er….. Maybe Turk can get the scoop?

J.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Wow, what a pig! And to think it was caught withih a stones throw of my Hudson home! Thanks for the pic.
    Jack

has
    Hudson, WI

That was a nice fish. I only wonder how big my buddies would have weight. About 8 years ago my buddie and I were fishing off my dock, near Afton. We were just kids still, anyway he had a fuzzy grub with a dead minnow, from the day before still on the jig. Pitched it up by some wood and WACK. A 32 1/2 walleye. The thing was, the fish had just spawned out,so it weight viturally nothing. Defenatly the biggest walleye I’ve ever netted. Never forget that day.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Jon J.,

Hey how’s it been? What I do know about that fish is… I wanted to catch it!!! ha, the trophy hog eye couldn’t have been entered in the Big Louie annual since it starts on June 1 and closes on the 31st of October and by the way the contest was won by by Mr. Ed Philpot, a great guide that has been guiding for a number of years. I haven’t been down on the Croix near Hudson for a while so I’m not sure if she was weighed at Bean Docks.

I also know Rick Hoyer very well and next summer when I see him I’ll hear the story as it is a legendary fish from the St. Croix!

Keep catchin’
    Turk

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.