Hows the bite?

• has
    Hudson, WI

Haven’t been out for a while. To much hunting this fall. But on friday night I looked out the window and counted 15 boats on Catfish Bar. Not sure if there hitting, but i hope to get out this week if the weather holds up.

GEMEYEGUY

Was on a bar between the Kinni and Prescott on Saturday (10/26). Wally’s and Sauger were biting decent in 18 to 26 feet. Not the best day I’ve ever had on the river, but good enough to hold our interest and keep us their.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was out on Tuesday at Catfish Bar. It’s been pretty slow for the last week or so. When they did bite, the ‘eyes were under 15″. I did manage take a picture of this 25″ before I sent her back to the bar.

GEMEYEGUY

Didn’t make it out this weekend, but here’s the report that I got from a friend that was out on Saturday (11/2)

You missed some good fishin’! the walleyes were small, but we got lots of nice sauger.
    Basspastor got the biggest, close to three pounds! Did pretty well in the morning with lots of saugers on a ΒΌ ounce jig with a fatead in 14 to 30 ft. The bite slacked off around noon, so we went up by the Kinni, got a few short walleyes. After an hour with no more fish, we went back to the first spot and got a few more saugers, but they were biting really light.

mike t
    St Paul, MN

Little report from the weekend for you folks.

Saturday was out with Musky wizard Pete Maina looking for muskies on the troll, we had the full spread out, planers, downriggers & BIG baits. Trolled for miles and miles, I still have yet to pattern fall muskie on the river. The best bet looked to be the discharge @ bayport where every hardy shad has moved to winter. We saw some promising hooks on the graph, but no takes. Anyday in a boat with Pete is good so we had that going for us.

Sunday was a different story, took the new rig out for the first time and ran up to bayport for some eyes. Had a great afternoon pulling floaters on 3 ways, fish seemed consistantly larger than their cousins down @ catfish, generally 18-20″ rather than the 12-15″ fish we’ve been getting. Getting them in various depths, 12-35′, but the most action was on the rock to mud transition in 22-30′.

Mike T
    High-Troller

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Maina was out? word of ‘Croix muskie must be spreading Northwest. his name is on some great tackle. really like his lift-off sucker rig.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The Croix is a great place to grow some bigguns but I feel that muskies are mysterious enough, let alone put them in a fishery as unpredictable and mysterious as the Criox! I think the thought pattern is that if some secret can be unlocked that there’s some real trophies to find a Kodak moment! We all know the potential is there…………..it’s just determining exactly when and exactly where.

If Maina’s looking for a challenge…………..he’s found it! As many years as I’ve known her, the Croix rolls over for no one. She guarantees nothing. However, she does have a way of rewarding the persistant!

mike t
    St Paul, MN

Stillakid~

Agreed, it’s a big body of water, coupled with riverine environment makes it a tough river to look at a map and say, “there’s the spot”. All in all I think it’s a relatively low density fishery but with all the shad forage as well as all the other tasty muskie treats, it’s going to only get better. We had a great summer out there, I saw or heard of a number of fish over 50″ including a 53.5″ monster caught in sept.

Pete enjoyed the river, was a little perplexed because he’s not a river guy like the rest of us. great guy to fish with though, tells excellent stories and is full of great musky knowledge. next summer he says……

Mike T
    High-Troller

shale
    Stillwater, MN

Mike

Was there a crowd gathered up by bayport?

bog

Mike, When’s Pete comin’ with the camera crew? Has anybody tried using live bait rigs out there yet? Bogues

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Mike! Nice to hear he wasn’t so discouraged that he wouldn’t return to try again!

mike t
    St Paul, MN

Dude,

sunday there was 2 other rigs besides mine & sparlings. We all got fish. I was out yesterday afternoon, we eeeked out a couple but there was a guy there just hammering the nice crappies up towards the bouy off the break. Had the new rig out, fished great, goes fast. Wanna buy a bottom line 5300?

You going to muskie ralleye this weekend? I got bait lined up today @ vados. Also got a bunch of quick strikes from Pete. What time are you heading up saturday, planning on fishing sunday a.m. as well?

MikeT

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.