Croix Update 10/15

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Made it out for a couple hours yesterday afternoon/evening.
    Saugers are coming easy but running small. Picked one up in Prescott immediately jigging minnow but lost interest because of the high wind through the channel. Went upstream to a favorite spot and trolled. Continuously caught small saugers. One was keepable. Ran out of day. Minnows are schooling up big-time. Just follow the seaguls.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Has the water gone down any??? I am planning on making it out tonight. What to do, what to do. Try to shoot ducks, or try to catch fish?? I will start jigging down by Prescott, if that is dead, then I’ll be trolling the humps up the river. I’ll post tomorrow. Has anyone else out there had any luck??

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont know if the water is down. I have only been out once. It was moving pretty good through Prescott. Reminded me of spring. I think I’ll be out there again tonight.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I was out around the Prescott area on Sunday morning, Oct. 13th but only caught 4 small saugers and one small walleye. Several boats were fishing just downstream from the train bridge on the MN side and were catching quite a few small saugers but I did see one nice walleye get caught. I’m guessing it was in the 26″-27″ range. They did release it. I also saw guy hook into a sturgeon that must have been about 4 feet long. It came shooting about 3 feet out of the water. It broke off right after that. Is it common for sturgeon to jump like that? I’ve never caught one. I also ran up to the Kinny narrows. There were a lot of boats jigging above the Kinny but I didn’t see anything get caught.

Here’s a web site where you can check out the water levels in Prescott and Stillwater, along with water temperatures, flow rates, etc. Click Pool 3 to get the St. Croix information. It appears to be dropping pretty fast now.

web page

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

From what I have seen, sturgeon will take long runs. When I play them out and be cautious, then they stay down and just make runs. But if you have strong line and can turn their heads up, those runs will launch them right out of the water. Then it gets exciting when you see a BIG fish launching itself and you are on the other end!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.