Downriggers???

• greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

Here’s a question for you trollers… Everyone talks about leadcore and three-ways and snap weights, I am wondering if anyone has tried or uses or has any luck with downriggers?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Greg, I haven’t tried them…and haven’t seen them in use on the Croix.

Don’t know much about them…however I think the structure changes too much on the Croix…or maybe I mean the depth. A break I was fishing yesterday had 10 feet of water and if you move 10 feet to the left you were in 30 feet.

Since (In my experiance) the depth changes so much…a fella would me constantly changing the depth of the downrigger.

But giver er a try and let us know!

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I have had great luck them on LOTW on walleyes. I’ve tried them on L Pepin with no luck yet using spinners over the deep water and cranks. I put them on my boat for the next time out becaue the handliners are doing so well. As was already said,…I suspect we’ll need move them up and down all day unless you can find a run with consistent depth. On LOTW,…we run the weights 4-5 feet off the bottom with shad raps 10-15’to work the bottom.

Let me know if you try and find a combo that works.

ThrobbingRod
    Hudson, Wi

I have used ‘riggers on the croix, and with good sucess. Mostly off the sunkin island off of Troy Beach. I like them because I can get better depth controll

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Greg the riggers would work great if you were fishing suspended white bass or somthing but if you were fishing the bottom for eyes you may run into trouble. If you have ever seen a down rigger weight snagged it’s not a petty site. thats a lot of money ready to rip off and hit the drink. I feel the chance of a tree down on bottom would be to great to drag bottom or near it. Just my thoughts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.