St. Croix River Muskies

• Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

I know the St Croix gets very shallow (north of Danbury) — 2 to 3 feet and lower. Wondering if this shallow water holds muskie? Anyone had any luck in this area?
    Thanks

buschman
    Pool 2

They are some up there. We came down with the canoes about 4 years ago and seen 3 in a group together. They sat in about 4 fow looking like logs on the bottom. There were alot of suckers in the area there so they must have just been waiting. Never tried fishing for them but there are a ton of little smallies up there to keep you busy.
    Im sure you will have better luck to the south but they recieve a little pressure down that way

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Fished this stretch of the river many many times. There are a few here and there. Not much water north of the Nemakagon. I have seen one musky and it was about 15 inches long. You can really get into smallies and Saugers on this stretch.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If you do get out there to chase the fish around make sure and report back. It would be nice to hear a few more reports from the norther croix.

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

Will do. I have tied into them a few times in the backwater pools, but lost them each time. Hard to tell how large. Seems like maybe this far north they are undersized. Then, not sure if I’d want to land a 50″ fish in my canoe anyway…

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

My cousin and I canoed/floated this stretch awhile back (15 years). He did hook into one between Danbury (Gandy Dancer Bridge) and the MN 48?? (Hinkley to Danbury) Bridge. It was in the low 40’s. We had to park the canoe and beach the fish. We caught smallies, saugers and a few eyes. It was a great trip. The water was pretty low that year too. The Eyes and Saugers were stacked up in the deeper pools. If I remember correctly. We would fish with a White Beetle Spin on the deeper holes and cast a Rap or Bass-O-Reno (White/Red) during the shallows for Samllies and that Muskie. I think I might have to float that again.

Let us know if any of you make it up there.

lindy
    Hudson, WI

I personally have never fished this stretch of river yet. Sounds like it could be alot of fun. I know people who have caught musky in several of the tributaries to the st. croix up there. (namekogen,kettle,yellow) So there must be some fish in the croix all the way up. I think fish would tend to be smaller up that way 30-40″ maybe, but It probably has some larger specimens also. The Apple River holds some very nice fish from the Amery area all the way to the Croix and its not all that different than the stretch of river you are fishing, so fish on and let us know what you find.

Lindy
    In-Depthangling Field Staff
    http://www.fishthestcroix.com
    [email protected]

teagan
    rosemount

I have had some big 50″ers follow my buktail a few times wile fishing from shore.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.