Walleye bite

• Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Since no one has posted in sometime, I figured I would put my 2 cents in. Fished Monday and Tuesday night with some success between Prescott and Kinni. Trolled raps on 3 ways and boated 6 eyes and a number of white bass in a couple hours. With only 2 of the eyes being legal, all went back in. I saw something I have never seen before last night, bass had pushed bait fish up to a point and were surfacing like crazy. It was to late in the evening (since my back light is hanging nicely in my garage) to switch lures and go after them. But tonight will be a different story if it quits raining. Just want to say “Thanks” to the gentleman who we talked to on Monday night in the blue pro v with the 100 merc. Gave us a couple of tips as to why he was catching and we weren’t. Always a pleasure meeting nice folks willing to help out a couple of rookies.

eleclady

Your right, the Croix forum’s gets a little less attention than the Mis.

You got into schooling silver bass on a feast and it’s a blast! I fished about 45 minutes tonight from shore & it was the same thing . I caught about a half dozen small silvers and a couple of bigger ones. I let all but enought for one meal go back to fight another day.

When you troll for walleyes between the Kinni & prescott, do you have a favorite shoreline side? Do you weight down your lures? I am a trolling person myself & would like to increase my “eye” catch.

Eleclady

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Well I by no means should be giving out advice, as I am still very green on fishing the river. I was following someone the other night who had a nice spot. Its on the Mn side just up from Prescott. There is a point that sticks out pretty nice. I bascially did exactly what the other guy was doing. There is a nice ridge line that you can follow from the front of the point out a ways, then it hangs a left back to shore(I aim for the white boat tied up next to shore). The water goes from 18-40+. I had about 1 1/2 ounces of lead on to pull the rap down deep. Hope this helps.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I am partial to pulling boards from the Kinny to Prescott on either side of the river. The closer you get to shore, the better! I run about 10 feet of line behind the board, and run a small floating Rapala. Lately though, long lining 200 feet on line in 14-18 feet hase been putting a lot of 16-20 inch fish in the boat for us. Got 12 last night.
    Tuck

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Since I haven’t posted out here lately, I figured it was time for an update. Was out on the Croix Tues and Thursday night pulling deep diving raps over the humps with some success. Last night produced a doz. mixed bag of eyes and saugers. All under 15 though, with a 2 1/2 bass to finish the night off. All trolling was done between Prescott and Kinni. Talked with 2 other boats who were jigging without much luck. Where are the big fall fish?? The water temp is getting down there, and definately bundle up if your heading out. The cool moist air gets chilly running from spot to spot. I think I saw the Griz out there last night coming down the river from Kinni. The sticker on the side of the boat said The Griz, dark gray boat with yamaha on the back?? Maybe he knows something I don’t.
    Good Luck
    If you see a red lund rebel with a merc on the back. Give me a wave.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yeah the Griz is running a dark gray ranger with a BIG tiller yammy on it…..

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

litttle unrelated topic here.
    if anyone happens to snag a rod while jigging down in front of the Steamboat in Prescott let me know. I dropped a 6 and half ft custom built St Croix with a Sedona reel over the side while 3 waying on 9/28 DOH!
    it’s a green and yellow rod (Packer colors) and it has Solar Ironsilk line.
    I had a 1 oz weight on it and when it went over it sunk fast!!
    the whole thing just happened sorta slow motion. I knew it was going over and couldn’t do anything to stop it. first one I ever lost and feel pretty stupid about it

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I’ll be digging down there this weekend. If I pull it up or see anyone else pull it up I’ll give you a holler on Monday. Dang the luck, everytime I get something nice I either break or lose it right away. But the old junk seems to stay around forever.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

thanks ritt. I was in about 14 ft to 19 ft. just a smidge north of the Steamboat. I’ve had that guy build me two rods. the first one I snapped the tip off in a power window and I dropped this one!
    I first thought it was my Legend Elite. I would’ve went over the side for that one.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Griz has been activley snapping his chicken feather jigs, tipped with minnows in the north end of the Kinny narrows. He has been doing pretty wellon eyes and sauger. He gets a lot of rough fish, and some very large cats as well! Not much for a conversationalist though. He calls me Pete, Frank, Bill, Bob…he can only remember my name when I have beer in my cooler! LOL!
    Tuck

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I tried trolling raps on the humps Tues. night. Only caught one little sauger, water was definately higher with the rain. Made my way up to the Kinni narrows where a couple of boats were digging up there. I think tonight if the weather isn’t to nasty I am going to try digging up there. I’ll have to make sure I have a fully stocked cooler with tonight, in case of a Griz sighting. See you on the river.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

slow for me also. have managed to put a couple of nice eater size cats in the boat. those 5 pounders really pull. short walleyes and a few silvers. Has the big bite come and gone? the high water certainly doesn’t help.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I dont fish the Croix much, but on a couple of occasions I have had success jigging in 30-50′ of water while others trolled around on top of points we not having much success. Have you fished slower and deeper when the fish arent hitting cranks???

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yeah the Griz.. isnt as much of a talker as he is a fisherman!…. guess Ive not tried the beer in the cooler tactic to see if he can remember my name!….. I chatted with him a while ago when he was picking up his new ranger at Frankies in Center City…… but I have a feeling he did not remember my name… of course with MY memory of names being among the worlds worst I have no room to talk!
    as for fishing deeper on the Croix… usually the colder the water gets the deeper the fish go…. but once you hit 34+ its pretty much a catch and kill scenario…. most dont survive being returned to the water…..

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Hey RiverEyes, you got a new picture. Didn’t recognize you at first. I had one of those nights last night. Got the boat uncoverd, gear in, ready to push off the lift, forgot the dang key at home. There goes 40 minutes of my life I’ll never get back. Finally got on the river around 5:30ish, trolled through Kinni, one bass. Saw two interesting things though. Right across from Kinni island, there were two boats tied up to a dock with whips on Tues. night. As I was trolling through I saw only one boat, must have put the other one away already. NOPE, as I got closer, all you can see is the nose sticking out of the water a couple of feet with the whips bending like an ultra light hung up on a stump. Someone is going to have a bad day when they see that. Wonder how that happened? Should someone call the DNR about that?? The second happened as I was pulling to the jig spot. The GRIZ was pulling out. So I followed him, figured if he isn’t cathing anything, neither will I. But the scenery on the river is beautiful. Even with no fish, it is still worth getting out to look at the colors.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Hey Guy’s, It was too nice to stay at work Friday with the weekend forcast so glum. I hit the Bluffs at 1pm and there was a gail sp? force wind blowing North! 2 old timers with a 17 footer said they got skunked in the channel jiggin and crankin, plus he said the boat was swamped on shore and there were 4 footers rolling through! Since that’s not my idea of fun, I went over to the trough on the WI side. I C&R-ed a 24″ eye (my biggest riv eye in years) and all the silvers you could shake your rod at.
    The cruizers were throwing wakes so big I thought I was going down! Then they bounce off the rock wall and you get it again! It was still great being out in the Fall. Man the Croix sure is is high!

Ferny.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.