The bite continues…

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We had an awsome Friday and Monday on the Croix. ALL of our fish came on plastics. Friday, over 80 fish, (Kevin, are you suffering from “Clicker Finger syndrome?”) The 19 to 22′ depths were key. Vertical presentations are a must with plastic. If you drag lines, you don’t get bit. The Steamboat was the hot area again. The docks in Prescott were very busy with pleasure boaters, as were the wingies to the south. At least the Steamboat is still within the no wake zone. Even in the wind-less conditions of yesterday we did very well. Snap jigging is a blast! Give it a try…

Leadhead
    Marine on St. Croix

I’m in interested in Your snap jigging comment for river walleye’s.

At those depths , what weight jig are You using. Normally on Winnie We’re fishing much more shallow and get away with 1/8 oz. jig/fathead combo..

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

when I fished with Tuck on May 16th we were using 1/8 to 1/4 oz. jigs. Keeping it vertical is key. I was “dragging” that day and I was getting outfished consistently. The next day with my buddies yelling “Keep it vertical” I was able to tie into quite a few. there’s no mistaking that plastic bite. they just whap the heck out of it!

Leadhead
    Marine on St. Croix

So the “snap” jigging presentation is simply a popping motion off the bottom as the jig is traveling along with the current.

I’m assuming this is not the same as Gryz’s Rip jigging approach mostly used on Winnie , Mille lacs and Leech…..

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

If you picture in your minds eye, a minnow hovering off the bottom, right above a sauger or walleye….the snapping motion of the wrist causes the bait to flare, as if it were startled, getting the fish’s attention. When it settles back to it’s start point, the fish reacts, and strikes. It works. That’s all I know. Vertical is the key, because you want that bait to land as close to it’s start position as possible. The fish get’s 2 looks, and he/she knows it has to react immediately. And most times it will. And HARD! Even smaller fish feel twice their size! It is really fun. If the boat does a lot of swinging, either go a little heavier on the jig than the driver, or move closer to the driver. That was MAYBE the reason Steve O caught fewer fish than anyone else in the boat! Plus the fact that we used the file on his hook point when he was not looking…

Steve, the sauger pic is up on my report page.

Tuck

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Ahh, the file on the hook point trick, eh??!!

You a funny guy Tuckner.

I just was slacking because I wanted my buddies to catch more than me. That’s what a good host does…….

I seriously put them to shame the next day. If you believe that, I gotta nice bridge in New York for sale……

I couldn’t believe how HARD those fish hit that plastic. Like to rip the rod right out of your hands. It’s hard to describe unless you experience it. I need Hawger to get more chartreuse ringies. I’m running periously low.

Nice pic of my buddy Flare on the report. Can you tell he’s from Texas? All weekend it was “turn the heat up, turn the heat up…

Leadhead
    Marine on St. Croix

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. I’ll be on the upper St. Croix this evening and will try the snapping

approach. Our best luck lately has been dragging Shad Raps in the back channel areas.

There is a long deeper stretch in the main channel I’d like to jig tonight… we’re seeing good action up here on

Walleye’s , Silver’s and Sheepies.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Our hottest depths have been 16-23 feet. Don’t move that rod tip more than a foot. We need chameleon ring worms to come back, BAD!

Tuck

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.