Have a boat question

• dp
    Rochester,mn

I bought a 1700 superhawk crestliner with a 125 merc and every time I get up on plane and start to trim out it starts to porpoise. The motor is mounted on the middle mount would it gelp if I lowered the motor to the bottom mount to get more of it in the water. I did put a whale tale on it and it did help some but still does it. Any info appreciated tahnks. Derek

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

DP…I’m no expert at this…but I had a similar problem with my 17′ Angler SS.

Here’s a couple things to try before lowering the motor…

First off…is it new? If so…let your dealer handle it.
    Load – Do you notice a differance when you have a full tank of gas as to when it’s 1/4 full…this helps determine what the reason is…
    What is in your boat…for extra weight…how big is your anchor and where do you store it.

Lastly what prop do you have on it now.

I went to a stainless prop and change the pitch…that stopped the bouncing…but now I have a terrable hole shot when my gas tank is full and I have two people in the boat. But since I’m not a racer…it really doesn’t bother me…

For yours…just need a little more info…and I’m sure someone will be able to help ya here!

dp
    Rochester,mn

Had a 19 pitch aluminum and went to a 21 pitch stainless. I did this due to over rev at wide open throttle. It did not affect my hole shot at all it still gets up right away. Fuel level and passenger do not seem to make a real difference my only problem is at full plane, it does actually decrease a little at higher speeds. the boat is used and the dealer would help but he is a three hour drive away. I know how to drop it down just don’t know if it is the right idea. Thanks for the help

wgeister
    Dundee, IL

DP: Try changing the angle of the motor as it is mounted on the transom. Any kind of change in the height or angle will affect the tendency to porpoise, but usually it can be easily corrected by closing the angle a notch. Good luck!

Donavan

go to slow speed it up a little more more speed that it is you need

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

triton,????

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.