Crappie chasin’

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Most likely going to hit one of my shore spots to see if there’s any early crappie action come this Saturday a.m. and I’ll let you all know how it goes.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Well, try I did but I didn’t make it out this weekend. I’m going into the doc’s office tomorrow to have my head checked!!! I guarantee I’ll be out there with a crappie report next weekend though!

thor
    Hudson WI

stillakid2….must have been somthing in the air, i had the best of intentions but didnt make it out either. cant believe how high the water is in downtown hudson, brought the boat sun but didnt want to try and put in with the water so high. i might put in at beanies tonight. will try to give a report.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I think Beanies would be a good idea. Otherwise I’d only trust the North Hudson landing………….LakeFront is flooded out already and I’m not sure how the Exit 1 ramp is fairing………….I’m guessing with the park coming under that it too is in jeopardy of being closed.

Rivereyes, how’s things looking to the north of us? Holding steady or climbing still?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

It may have hit its peak.. barring more rain… but the Osceola ramp IS closed right now……

thor
    Hudson WI

put in at beanies last night, hit the few crappie spots i know of… nothing happening. that water is really movin! water temps still around 42. im guessing thats sill a little cold for the crappie to move in the slack water timber areas i know of. will probably hit it again sat am.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Buddy and I went out last night to favorite spring spot on Croix and only caught one small one. Still too early for shallow spots we think.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Anyone get after ’em this past Saturday? I ended up taking a trip to Wausau for good reason………..just not for fishin’. Okay, so it was for an “almost” good reason! Just wondering if anyone could rub it in my face that I wasn’t out there.

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

Anybody fish in the Osceola area for these crappies? I haven’t really tried that much on the river..just local lakes…they are biting on the lakes now..but i really would like some help finding them on the river?? Any help?

thor
    Hudson WI

i cant give you specifics because im new to the area but ive been told any slack water areas around timber or under water structure 5-12 feet should do well anytime now. i went to put in at beanies late yesterday pm but it was too rough (with my young son) wil try depending on weather tonight.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Hey Guy’s, Seems to me I have never caught a crappie North of Stillwater. The Bayport area has been the best for me. They are possibly in the winter community hole yet but should be going shallow soon. Best time for me is right about opener.

Ferny.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Hey Mavzer!….

I think your better off fishing the lakes for crappies… but if your DETERMINED to go after crappies… well… they DO exist around the Osceola area….Im not privy to any secrets…. but two pretty well known spots are the backwater finger thats right next to the Osceola public launch…. crappies will stack up in the mouth of that.. and scatter back inside of it.. its just a long narrow finger….. then theres whats known as the Rock Island.. its just up from Franconia.. its a trick finding the Franconia launch and if you need info on that let me know…. this ENTIRE area of the St Croix is NO WAKE… year round… so if you open it up your on your own….. my suggestion is to launch at Osceola to fish there and at Franconia to fish there… unless you would like to troll a few miles of river in between….. there are crappies up here.. some of them are pretty nice… (but I catch bigger ones south of stillwater)……. and though I dont know the area lakes very well I suspect they would be more productive… there are some flowage lakes just a bit north of here that Ive heard produce some very nice crappies… in fact I have fished clam lake through the ice…. that is basically more of a giant backwater than a lake.. and I hear there are fish up in the clam river too….. bit of everything ….

ErikWinkleman
    Osceola, WI

so you have fished in the osceola area? north or south of osceola? have any spots i could get too???

ErikWinkleman
    Osceola, WI

What color do the crappies like in the great river? with minnows? or??

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I know in the years past you could catch a few crappies from shore at the osceola park. Its a great spot to throw in a bobber on a light line. The white bass should start hitting there pretty soon also.

Rock island is another nice spot and its not to far up river from the fronconia landing. I,m hoping to get out there on sunday.

I have taken my boat up into taylers falls a couple of times. There are a lot of deep holes up there that should hold some fish but i haven,t spent a lot of time chasing them there. To many good spots between Fronconia and Osceola. Have you fished up there much rivereyes? It is pretty easy to get to from the state park landing in taylors falls.

I was hoping to get out on saturday morning but I got hooked into doing the Minnatonka crappie contest. I feel sick just thinking about it. Lets compare. Get up 3am to get to Minn. by 4.30 to get a spot. Dodge boats all morning. I,m sure there will be lots of other friendly fisherman in all those other boats. should be no problem finding a quiet spot. Or sleep in, get to the river by 6 or 7. Say hi to the guys putting there boats in. if there is any. Nice quiet spots all to myself. This is one of the few fishing trips my fishing partner has planned, Thats why i,m going. Any one else ever do the Minnetonka contest? How bad is it? I guess a guy gets pretty spoiled spending all that time on a nice quiet streach of river.

Maybe if he reads this i won,t have to worry about going.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

As far as colors go I usually start with a light color and go from there. Last fall i did pretty good on light green tube jigs with only two long strands coming off of it. It kinda resembled a frog, but the crappies sure did like it. Dont pass on the bobbers and hooks, maybe with a bead. They can be pretty productive also. Keep moving to. and come back to spots again. You heading out this weekend Eric.

ErikWinkleman
    Osceola, WI

Well its my uncles Turkey hunting season..and i do all the calling for him…and i have all the decoys..so hopefully we can get one on sat. that way i can go fishing sun…are you going out?

ErikWinkleman
    Osceola, WI

I have heard that the crappie contest on lake minnetoka is horrible…you can walk from boat to boat in the good bays…however the fish that are caught are huge..2 lbs – 3 lbs common….good luck

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

MTKA Contest & The 2# crappie. It is common that the winner is 2#, but there is usually only one or two in that class.

Keep in mind that is out of hundreds, maybe thousands of boats.

Regarding it being crowded…. it is pretty bad. But for me it is kind of the grand opening of the soft water season (everything before that is my pre-season). I never miss it, but I’m not sure that this year I’ll be willing to put up with the crowds and the snow…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.