targeting out of season sturgeon

• salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

(deleted as everyone seems to advocate these actions)

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Two people fighting the fish using one pole? Amateurs.

amundsonjon
    wi

Whats To Say They Aren’t Fishing For Catfish. I Catch Accidental Sturgeon Quite Often While Catfishing Or Walleye Fishing.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

actually, they were two 13 year old kids illegally targeting sturgeon out in their dads brand new fishing boat.

I thought it was multiple boats targeting them?Two thirteen year old kids in one boat can be overlooked but multiple boats should be turned in.
    If you spend enough time out there fishing you can’t help but catch a sturgeon or two incedentely!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I talked with one of the kids yesterday, he claimed he was catfishing using cutbait, he was also catching big walleye

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

I missed it, were they keeping them?

IMO, changing the sturgeon regs to a catch and release season year round would do more for the sport than what I am seeing here.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Salmo, unfortunately you’ve been unable to convince the jury. The verdict is not guilty unless you have more than the circumstantial evidence.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

right, thats was I figured, nothing but deaf ears unless theyre hmong or native american fisherman.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Its been discussed many times on all forums. Most feel cheated to see others fishing for species out of season, but most believe that its not really worth the effort to even confront them. There’s nothing you can say that will affect them and it only makes yourself more angry.

If only a few are targeting a species out of season for catch and release purposes, it would do much less harm than having an open catch and release season during times where the species may be vulnerable.

If its blatant and I feel that someone may be poaching, I would definetly call.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

Was the T.I.P. line called in this instance?

Was I just called a racist?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Damn, I hate being late to the party.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Didnt miss much……….

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Found out today it’s the kids boat not his dad’s, however his dad did buy it for him .

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Its been discussed many times on all forums. Most feel cheated to see others fishing for species out of season, but most believe that its not really worth the effort to even confront them. There’s nothing you can say that will affect them and it only makes yourself more angry.

If only a few are targeting a species out of season for catch and release purposes, it would do much less harm than having an open catch and release season during times where the species may be vulnerable.

Well said. Nothing angers me more than selfish individuals that put themselves above honest law abiding citizens. Lets all put forth an effort to turn these kinds of people in so they are fined or banned.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They should have defined laws for targeting out of season. Example, you catch 3 sturgeon in a row and you stay and catch a forth, you should be in violation. There should be specific laws for all fish out of season.

The deal is, the DNR is not likely to bother enforcing any of these. And targeting fish out of season is a pretty gray, gray area.

It would be nice if there was no closed seasons, just open and catch and release seasons. Then allow local DNR to close areas of a body of water that might make some fish vulnerable. For example bedding bass, river running spawning walleye.

All of my ideas are pipe dreams and the logistics are unmanageable.

I guess things are good as is and people will target fish out of season, but the majority won’t. It isn’t fair, but as they say, no one said life was fair.

Didn’t the DNR nail the people ice sturgeon fishing on the croix who blatantly posted pictures of it on the web? How did they do that? Why did they do that? Why were they singled out?

If someone sees it and they don’t liek it you have every right to call a CO or TIP. It doesn’t mean anything will be done and it doesn’t make you a bad person.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

My question is what fish on the Croix doesn’t get fished out of season. You ever see all the boats out fishing for “white bass” before walleye opens ? DNR never does anything about that

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Maybe all fish should be the same season and it illegal to have a rod in the boat out of season? There should be some way to stop the individuals that are screwing all the rest of us?

But in the end I agree there probably is no way to eliminate the law breakers and hopefully their cowardly numbers remain low.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.