Bayport Ice report

• salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Quote:

Are they driving on or across river yet?

theyve been drivin out there the last two weeks.

jesse, neither I nor most Ive talked to out there have yet to see even one school of anything swim by.

was out there this morning, 7 wasted hours for two bites and one short walleye landed. youd think with all the cars rushing out there was something going on other then people rushing to get there permanents out on the dead C.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

So your saying people are driving north up the Wi shoreline? How about within walking distance of the open water power plant discharge?

beedle
    River falls,WI

They seem to be in the deeper water during the day and move into the shallows at dark to feed im on the edge of both need to have more than one shack out there to fish different times im not doing that bad .It just gets tough at times!

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Quote:

So your saying people are driving north up the Wi shoreline? How about within walking distance of the open water power plant discharge?

thats how most of the vehicles got to shantytown from what I saw

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good to know its ice on. I have been waiting so I can go where I want. Second stupid question from a veteran that should know. Is the MN access road still open? I couldnt remember if that witch got it closed off or not?

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

I have a hard time believing there is 12″ or more of ice in the main channel! Call me whatever you want, but without 12″ or more I will not drive on the river.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Quote:

I have a hard time believing there is 12″ or more of ice in the main channel! Call me whatever you want, but without 12″ or more I will not drive on the river.

oh there isnt, but try telling that to all of the drivers piled together out there today.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Guess I’ll be holding off then. What about the old MN access?

beedle
    River falls,WI

Drilled a hole by shack yesterday with tape measure had 10.5 inches of ice thickness . I will drive a car but will not drive my 3/4 ton! Had a decent day yesterday,persistence pays off sooner or later.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

someone should for once out there

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

So your gonna make me drive there to find out?

“What about the old MN access?”

ozzyky
    On water

I was on a lake monday and we walked out. We measured 8-9 inches out from the landing. There was six fullsize trucks already out there, two parked side by side. As we walked by one of the groups the guy said, “Why didn’t you drive out, there is a solid 8 inches of ice.” Our response….it’s only a couple hundred yard walk. from the landing.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

I use that as my benchmark too, Turk!!! And I am on natural lakes!!!

Mark

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Jesse or Turk. Would you please tell me if the old MN access by the old Clydes is still operational since nobody else here will? Thanks.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Mike,

Yes last I heard it is still being used as an access.

Go find the hot spot for me.

Turk

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I have only been on the Croix once this winter and that was the other week, I drove down the hill pulled out on the ice turned around and drove back up the hill.

I have seen people accessing the river from the MN side Suzuki

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

I’ve been out there a good 7 times this in the last week and a half. Cars and trucks driving everywhere. Ice is pretty inconsistent though I’ve punched holes 2 feet apart with 3″ of ice thickness differance. 8-12″
    Crappie bite has been on fire though and finding schools of big ones.

I caught a couple of left-field fish this weekend. I’ve been seeing more and more perch the last few years, finally found a truly jumbo perch. Also landed a large mouth bass; it’s the third largemouth I’ve ever caught out there.

muskiefever
    North Metro

Nice jumbo! You would love north dakota.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

14-15 inches of ice in the few spots I’ved checked. Cold and brutal. But after an hour or two of searching I’ve found some active fish…well found some fish was more like it. Very light biters but did tangle into some catfish and whitebass. The fish weren’t fighting much at all, they were quite sluggish.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

15-16″ of ice. I hit the hot hole of channel catfish and whitebass. They were schooling like 10-15′ of vertical sonar. Couldn’t tell what was down there, thought it was shads, but then they’ll be biting and fighting very hard. It was hot just before the Sunday noon storm front.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

havent been out there in weeks, just wondering if the ice is still driveable from the WI side access upto shantytown and past upto the hilines, as I might spend a day out their drowning minnows in honor of my birthday.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

I saw headlights up there on my way home from work yesterday.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

thanks, Ill more than likely sit and watch what size vehicles take off across the ice, hopefully my chrysler van will be okay.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I’m finding about 18.5″ of ice thickness.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

nice to hear, me and my friend thats leaving to become a police officer will be out there tomorrow, hopefully the bite will be some what existent compared to my last few trips.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

another day, another wasted morning out on the dead C(roix)…

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I fished the windy cloudy days over the weekend and it seems like the fish are becoming even more scarce. Although when I mark schools of something, chasing lures and note biting, I have to wonder what are they? Whitebass, catfish, crappies, or even the dreaded sheepshead fish?…

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Quote:

or even the dreaded sheepshead fish?…

Sheeps eat good this time of year…

ok boys come and get me… I defied all logic and actually have eaten sheepshead before I passed a taste judgement on them!!!

They eat better than summer crappies and channel cats.

Sheeps are a smart choice for soups, chowders, casseroles, and yes good pan fried…. mmm getting hungry

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.