Bayport Ice report

• slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

8″ close to shore, 4″ in main channel

I only walked into the main channel. The usual WI side shanty village was seen and the usual early ice around the MN side. It was a very nice sunny day and warmer pretty close to 30F.

I caught one bluegill, 4 crappies, and one walleye.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

What depth did you setup at? Nice mixed bag and thanks for the ice update!

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

were people walking across from the MN side then?

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Quote:

were people walking across from the MN side then?

okay, since being tightlipped is the norm Ill try walking across tomorrow and if anything appears on the news involving the river I guess we’ll all know what happened. wish me luck all you st croix ice fishermen

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Getting crowded out there now.

Does that help? Enough to walk and fish.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Salmo Trutta , how’d you do fishing out there ?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I got 8″ of solid ice in the main channel as of 12/25. I usually set up in the main channel depths of 35′ to 38′, trying to keep away from everybody. I caught 6 black crappies and one white crappies sizes 10-12 inches.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

How is Ferry Landing looking for getting out from the WI side?
    I guess that might be a long walk if you tend to fish the MN side.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Quote:

Salmo Trutta , how’d you do fishing out there ?

zero minnows left then day I was going to go out, once they restock Ill be out to try my luck.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Mixed bag today for me. 7 crappie 10 to 12 inch 1 short walleye 1 short sauger 1 silver 1 27 inch channel and one mud puppy.

We were going to keep the mud puppy but the bucket had minnows in it. Next time we will have an extra bucket.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Around what time did all that action take place? That sounds like a fun mix of fish.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Most action took place just before sundown, same as last year where we set up. We didn’t get set up until 11:00 am and left at 8:00 pm so I’m not sure about the morning bite. It was an odd bite 2 here and a few there.
    Most were taken on a fisca 5mm and color was glow white and glow pink. Though the channel just nailed this odd spinner type jig.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

I think I might try to get out there some time Sunday. I didn’t fish the river last year I was trying different lakes in my area.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Morning bite is usually between 7am – 10 am. If it starts to get slow around 9 am it usually shuts off at 10 am.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

hmm, no wonder there was a good 200 or so people out there today at 7 if there was any kind of bite today noone within 100 yards of me was on it. 1 fish and six bites the whole day from the clusterbang going on out there, plus none of those bites came inside my pop up except for one, the other bites were on a tip down. a couple of the guys I talked to said they werent even gonna waste their time out there anymore due to all the people. honestly, I dont blame them at all. might be time to walk to the hilines.

beedle
    River falls,WI

Got Permanent shack out .8″ ice wi side, out from park 2 silvers 1 14′ bass (let go) no crappies(the targeted fish)til 3:30-4:40 ten crappie total none under 9 inches wierd day feast or famine! Think the day of the quiet river is over its getting pretty bad!

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

I agree with that completely. got out early to beat the rush, found fish but it didnt last. once all the augers started firing up they cleared out in my area. 6 hours, 3 bites, another 1 fish given away. would of stayed longer but ran out of propane and with close to zero temps in got cold quick.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

hmm, no wonder there was a good 200 or so people out there today at 7 if there was any kind of bite today noone within 100 yards of me was on it. 1 fish and six bites the whole day from the clusterbang going on out there, plus none of those bites came inside my pop up except for one, the other bites were on a tip down. a couple of the guys I talked to said they werent even gonna waste their time out there anymore due to all the people. honestly, I dont blame them at all. might be time to walk to the hilines.

Croix ice fishing in a nutshell and why I have skipped it the last few years. I wont have any interest at all until I can drive so I can cover the miles necessary to locate fish. Or start fishing some of the lesser known areas down stream of Hudson.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Croix ice fishing in a nutshell and why I have skipped it the last few years. I wont have any interest at all until I can drive so I can cover the miles necessary to locate fish. Or start fishing some of the lesser known areas down stream of Hudson.

X2

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

That is the reason it was so quiet about how much ice there was this year. I had a good week of fishing before it slowed down. Seems like it is getting busier every year too. Time for me to hit up some little lakes for a while. I do love the croix though.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I found a spot a couple years ago that looked like it would be good for ice fishing. I marked it on the GPS and waited for good ice. First walkable ice Jesse and I headed out an hour before light and when we got to the spot there was already 10 people there. That’s when I decided to not fish the river on the weekends.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I hit the Prescott ice yesterday afternoon. Nothing happening but neat to get out there and target saugs and eyes. I plan to do it again. Maybe take a machine and head upstream. I know what you mean about keeping it quiet. I do the same when it comes to ice fishing. Especially early ice fishing since its my decision to fish thin ice. I have had a fantastic start this year. Probably been out 8 times and yesterday was my first skunk.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

another trip out, another 6-7 hours on ice, another grand total of one keeper caught that was given away. a guy in a permanent near me was out even earlier and had about the same luck. One shack managed to get a limit… but it took 4 anglers three days straight just to achieve that. st. croix = dead sea practically right now.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I checked a few spots and the ice is holding at 10″ and one spot had 8.5″ of ice. Fishing is going really slow already just from the weekend of auger pressure. Wish the ice would be thicker so I can drive around and search for fish.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Anyone gone north towards Stillwater? How about power plant discharge?

rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

I’m heading down there tomorrow, gonna try the edges of the 40′ hole if I can get right up there!

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

hopefully it wont be the dead C(roix) tomorrow either

beedle
    River falls,WI

Sam thanks for the fish last week i am afraid this week for me has been worse.The morning bite still exists somewhat but the 10 oclock and on has been real tough where last week i could pull a few up during the day. This week nothing after 10:30. Sayin this reminds me of last year when it was like that there was a better afternoon bite but i have yet to stay that long with the midday lockjawed fish.Good luck!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Have you tryed to pattern the school of crappies? Figure what way they are moving ? and stay on top of them ? This may help increase the catch

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Are they driving on or across river yet?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.