Critter in the Dryer Vent

• Bassn Dan

Can hear a critter (probably a mouse) in the dryer vent scrambling around like it’s maybe trapped.

Taking the vent pipes apart and probably upgrading him to being an “on the loose in the house mouse” doesn’t seem like a good plan.

Thinking about running a hot cycle with the dryer – mouse jerky anyone?

Or maybe dropping some Decon down the vent pipe for him.

Any ideas?

B-man

I’d try the dryer on with no heat first so it doesn’t die in the vent.

Next, mice are scared of predators and their smell. Put a stray cat in the dryer on low heat, that’ll get it out )

We had a similar situation, heard scrambling and scratching noises in our dryer vent. We thought it was going to be a mouse, turned out to be a bird building a nest. This was in the spring, so a mouse might be the more likely candidate this time of year.

Bassn Dan

Tried turning the dryer on for about 30 seconds when I first heard it and it went quiet, but started making noise again later. Don’t know if it can get out and is coming back, and no one else home to watch the vent when I turn the dryer on.

I was wondering maybe bird too – it makes a lot of commotion and the vent is across the patio from the bird feeder…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What did I just read?

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Take off the shroud where the vent exits the house, hopefully it’s a short run from the dryer to the exit. Stick your shop vac hose in the exit and turn on the vac. Then turn on the dryer at the highest heat setting. Hopefully you’ll end up with a thoroughly dried mouse in the shop vac. The figure out how the mouse got in and remedy that situation. grin

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

If you dont want to deal with dead mouse retrieval and complicated things just drop a rope or cloth down and he will climb out.

catmando
    wis

Take off the shroud where the vent exits the house, hopefully it’s a short run from the dryer to the exit. Stick your shop vac hose in the exit and turn on the vac. Then turn on the dryer at the highest heat setting. Hopefully you’ll end up with a thoroughly dried mouse in the shop vac. The figure out how the mouse got in and remedy that situation. grin

You sir are a problem solver, I tip my hat.

Deleted

Time for a new dryer……I’d put that sucker on Craigslist or give it to a relative you don’t have much use for.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Put a stray cat in the dryer on low heat, that’ll get it out

That was good!!!

Bassn Dan

Thanks Ron – great idea to use the shop vac! It’s been quiet since the second time that I briefly ran the dyer, but in case it’s still in there (dead or alive) I’ll vac it out.

As to the suggestions to put a stray cat in the dryer, I have a 14lb not-stray cat who would like to “discuss” that with you. Attached is a photo of what he did when I sprayed him with water for misbehaving, and he LIKES me. I don’t want to think what he’d do if someone tried to put him in the dryer…

Attachments:
    1. DSCF0352.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

Had a bird in my furnace vent 2 years ago…the FW is deathly afraid of birds (who knows why), so letting it out alive was a proposition that I quickly lost…

I like the idea of dropping a small rope in the vent and letting it crawl out, but I’m not sure if it’s even interested in crawling out. It has no idea the trouble it’s about to experience if the high heat cycle is ran. Still worth a shot if you want it out alive.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

As to the suggestions to put a stray cat in the dryer, I have a 14lb not-stray cat who would like to “discuss” that with you. Attached is a photo of what he did when I sprayed him with water for misbehaving, and he LIKES me. I don’t want to think what he’d do if someone tried to put him in the dryer…

spray the cat with lead…

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Put a can of pest fogger in the vent and close the house end along with the suggestion of removing the outside flapper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.