…Crickets

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The Pool 4 reports are few and far between lately. The water is extremely high, but there are boats getting out. How’s everyone doing? I know the local guides are out and seem to always be on fish.

I snuck out for 2 hours this afternoon and ended with 3 legal fish (all released) and 2 shorts. I pulled cranks in 14-18′ of water without really having enough available time to put together a pattern. Hopefully I’ll be out Thursday again for longer and can put together more of a pattern. Usually by the end of May I’ve got over a dozen outings in, but life and the river have not cooperated.

What’s the latest on the Roschen and Hok Si La landings? Are docks in and accessible?

I’m always willing to swap more specifics via PM for those interested.

Bucky

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I made it out for 3 hours last night. The water had some sizable debris in it. If you are headed out, proceed with caution. Areas near the channel and even in the lake have debris large enough to do damage. There are a lot of 6-8″ diameter pieces of old timber dislodged from shore that were scattered everywhere we went.

We pulled cranks (mainly flicker shads and shad raps) for the entire time with lead in 16-20′ of water. There were a couple other boats out fishing live bait and when I talked to them they stated the bite was fairly slow, but were able to scratch out a few smaller eaters. We ended up taking 4 home and caught ~12-15 total with most being shorts. We did have a real nice “over” fish come unbuttoned boat side that was easily 5-6#. Surface temps were anywhere from 60-65 degrees. Transition areas from rock to soft bottom seemed to be the only discernible pattern we managed.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks for the report! Not much happening trolling shallower? sub 10′? Or that’s where you found fish and stayed?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Thanks for the report! Not much happening trolling shallower? sub 10′? Or that’s where you found fish and stayed?

More debris up shallow. I’m sure there are fish up shallow, but I’d probably elect to toss cranks at them if I found them.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I see. Makes sense, stuff going to clear out in the next week if we don’t get much more rain? Or the debris takes a while to work it’s way through?

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I see. Makes sense, stuff going to clear out in the next week if we don’t get much more rain? Or the debris takes a while to work it’s way through?

It’ll start to clear up as soon as the river crests.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

It’s been dropping slowly for a couple of days now hasn’t it?

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Looks like it just started yesterday, yes

Ross Gunderson

Do you guys tend to find the fish stay up in the river/cans area longer with the high water or push down river towards the frontanec area more like normal? Trying to learn this river stuff is a beast!

holstc

Fished the lake today in ~8-12ft pulling cranks and spinners. Lots of action with small fish but nothing of size. Water clarity seemed pretty good and not to much junk in the water.

Beautiful time of year for fishing!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We put 32 in the boat today (11 legals), but it was not easy. That was in 5+ hours with a lot of moving and trying different spots. We had all of our nicest fish away from crowds.

There were quite a few more people out which reminded me exactly why I primarily fish weekdays. Today alone I witnessed:

-A guy start his nearly brand new 150hp Mercury before directing his buddy to start backing him in and kept it running the entire ~30 seconds he was nowhere near in the water

-Two guys pull a spread of x5 planer boards over a community point with 6-8 other boats fishing it causing multiple boats that had been there some time to frantically pull their lines. Hopefully everyone here is too smart to have been that person.

-Someone managed to successfully occupy x4 truck and trailer parking spots with one Audi Crossover SUV when there was designated single vehicle parking open CLOSER to the launch.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Just another day on the river

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190601080323998.jpg

ajw

Side rant – im really tired of people feeling the need to tell everyone they released fish. As long as its legal i dont give 2 shites if you kill or release. In fact i am quite happy when i see a family or group with a big cleaning table full of fish no matter the size.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I believe that people who find the need to vocalize that they released there fish is a way to support conservation. There the guys who support lower limits, slot limits, releasing large bluegill to help the overall population,etc. Basically creating fishing opportunities for the future.
    Then there guys like yourself (ajw) who apparently are the opposite, and I have no problem with that. That’s your choice, and I make my choice. I would still share a boat with you.

holstc

I find it interesting that on one of the few actual reports written (much appreciated) lately someone has to find a negative thing to say.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I just appreciate the reports, do what you wish with your fish.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Those of you who have swapped reports with me via PM, I’ll still share in private. I don’t want to ruffle anymore feathers by stating we “released fish.”

I promise to not mention fishing reports on the forum again. We need fewer fishing reports anyways on IDO. They just clutter up the boards.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Side rant – im really tired of people feeling the need to tell everyone they released fish. As long as its legal i dont give 2 shites if you kill or release. In fact i am quite happy when i see a family or group with a big cleaning table full of fish no matter the size.

Wow. Lighten up Francis.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There were a number of boats in the Trembel and Vermilion over the weekend. I didn’t stick around to see what they were catching but since there were boats there both days, might be worth a shot if you’re over that way.

BTW all fish we caught were released except for the fish dinner at the Harbor Bar on Friday evening. )

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.