Craziest vehicle you have seen on the ice

• mn-z
    Stark, MN

I am sitting here and just watched a full size Lincoln Town Car drive out on the lake. The lake I live on does not have any plowed roads. It had to be bottoming out as it drove through the snow drifts. It made me wonder what is the craziest vehicle you have ever saw driving on the lake?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve seen someone riding a horse on the lake. Technically not a vehicle but definitely was being used as a mode of transportation.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’ve seen someone riding a horse on the lake. Technically not a vehicle but definitely was being used as a mode of transportation.

Was it pulling a flip over?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL nope it was just trotting along pulling nothing

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

LOL nope it was just trotting along pulling nothing

That would’ve been hilarious if it would have been.

CaptainMusky

Several years ago 4 of us guys set out from Long Point on Lake of the Woods on smowmobiles to Garden Island. Its around a 15 mile trek and it was a doozy just pulverizing our backs and kidneys the whole way. We get almost there and were stopped stretching to loosen up a bit and look over to see 2 guys in a Buick Lesabre driving a few hundred yards from us. There was a road plowed all the way out there and here we nearly killed ourselves when we could have taken our trucks. We had a good laugh, but it was sorta irritating. LOL

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Guy by me runs a old purple cavalier puts chains on the front and she goes through hell. He is also out way earlier and later then everyone

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

There is this young guy up on Bemidji. You can jump ahead to 6:00 to see it in action.

Ripjiggen

And I won’t get that 5 minutes of my life back. flame

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The noise alone would drive everyone on the lake crazy.

Not crazy but it was cool seeing an old John Deer Spit Fire pulling a home made pop up ice house last weekend.

CaptainMusky

That looks dangerous as all heck! Man, if one of those spears broke off someone could be dead including the driver. Hmm, hard pass on that one.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

That looks dangerous as all heck! Man, if one of those spears broke off someone could be dead including the driver. Hmm, hard pass on that one.

Yeah, I gotta think those would void any insurance coverage on that thing, with the exception of theft perhaps.

Mango Tango

We see the Amish out on the lake quite often- usually not riding the horse but pulling a buggy that they modify as a sleigh when the snow gets deep. Sometimes they bring a similar built trailer with a fish house on it and have seen them use permanents on the ice. Not sure how they get those out or if they hire it out but amusing to watch! Even more funny when a caravan of them go by in summer on the way to the lake with canoes and kayaks strapped to the buggy and kids hanging out the windows!

AnotherFisherman

Toyota Prius…

Man I can still remember the terrible sound of that car bottoming out coming on and off the ice. There were some major grooves at the landing and that car took a beating. Quite the site watching it drive across the lake too

JEREMY
    BP

Was on a little lake by Winsted 10 years ago or so. Guy drove down the super steep access and onto the lake with a limo. Dont know if he ever got out of there or not. It was a hard landing even with a truck when slippery. Lake Emma if you ever been there.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve seen guys with dirt bikes and studded tires tearing around. Looked pretty fun.

Back in the late 80’s I drove a 1970 Olds 98. Thing was a tank and went through everything. Great ice fishing car. Tons of room in the trunk. Set a plug in B&W tv on the dash and watch tip ups during the Sunday football games. Lot of fun in that car, never got stuck!

-J.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

In 1975 I saw a Pantera on Lake Bemidji.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Kid in a motorized wheelchair, dragging a gear sled, on lake Onalaska on a plowed road.

For years I just assumed he was really handicapped, and was pretty impressed. But then again, I didn’t watch him set up, so I don’t really know if he was handicapped.

I don’t know which version I prefer… Handicapped and tenacious, or not handicapped and inventive.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In 1975 I saw a Pantera on Lake Bemidji.

The Arctic Cat version or the De Tomoso version?

Grouse

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

“There is this young guy up on Bemidji.”

Pretty cool but either he or his dad has a lot more money then I do.

Beast

seen my first one of these last weekend

big_g
    Isle, MN

it’ll cure the dogs that like biting the tires doah

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Had a small airplane with skis land on the ice by us one time. They did not fish, just got out and walked around for a while, got back in and took off.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

We were on Chisago 20 years ago late ice, no one was driving out anymore. We saw a big old Detroit dinosaur, I think an old dodge of some sort, it was long and looked heavy, and it drove on the lake and did a quick quarter mile loop and then drove off the lake. We were cringing the entire time thinking it would end up on the bottom of the lake. 20 minutes later the driver walked out and asked how fishing was. We said, “what the hell were you doing driving out here?” His reply grinning, “I just made $100 bucks!”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

For years the local bar by my cabin hosted a fishing contest called the holy cow. Not sure how the name came about but it was a fun social event on a small local lake. One year a local resident brought an actual cow out on the lake and kept it in a pen. I think some people even rode it. Another year someone landed their plane on the lake and gave a couple rides. My wife caused the plane to flair on one landing by inadvertently driving in front of it during approach. Fun times.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’ve seen several front wheel drive cars. There was a tracked Suzuki Samurai out on Mille Lacs a few times.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I had a guy land and break my tip up in a powered ultralight. He took off before I could get to him.

Mwal

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Had a small airplane with skis land on the ice by us one time. They did not fish, just got out and walked around for a while, got back in and took off.

A few years ago on mille lacs in April perch and tulibee fishing we had a game warden land a plane next to us just to check our fishing licenses.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.