Crappies

• Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Pretty evident from the silence that few Iowans frequent the site, but just in case…

Been hitting the cedar the last few weeks and picking off some crappies. Not unusual to bring home 8-10 in a few hours of fishing. Fish are still pre spawn but males are moving up now and I don’t think it will be long.

Loads of pike this year. Nothing huge, but a lot of 2-4 lb fish harassing me while searching for crappies. Bass don’t seem interested just yet, but those days are around the corner.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Thanks for the report. We have several of us Iowegians on the site, but very outnumbered by Minnesota and Wisconsin. I use to fish the Cedar quite a bit years ago, near St Ansgar. Had several good days on crappies, the fun part was you never knew when a catfish would take your bobber down. The bite was in the downed trees and a 5 pound channel cat would be quite the battle on ultra light tackle and 4 pound test!

deertracker

Pretty evident from the silence that few Iowans frequent the site, but just in case…

There are more, they just won’t admit it. coffee grin
    DT

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

I live in Ankeny now, but grew up fishing the Cedar River – The Des Moines doesn’t compare…..

Joshua
    Central, IA

There are more, they just won’t admit it.

There are plenty of us. We just don’t want to share our success too often. The last thing we want are a bunch you Minnesotans sniffing around these parts! razz

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

As a Wisconsinite, who wouldn’t move to Ill., I moved to IA and loved every minute of it, ‘cept for da heat… Great people, great resources and lots of other goodies beggin’ to be found!!! As for the fishin’, I only caught the trout and SMB!!! I think I caught and ate the state record Brook Trout (16″, 1lb 14oz.) back in the late ’70’s and the old record still stands… think about that every now and then and now believe that the next fish I get mounted will those two brookies…

Mark

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.