Crankbaits & lead core question

• HookLine&Sinker

Setting up a couple lead core rods for the first time. Looking to order some crankbaits and was wondering if there is a consensus regarding whether the shallow or deeper diving lures give a better action/produce better.

ie: shallow shad rap (2-4′ dive depth) VS. “regular” shad rap (4-9′ dive depth)

CBMN
    North Metro

HL&S

I have to agree with tornadochaser, as I use both on lead also. Don’t always know why but you gave a good example with the shad rap, another one is husky jerks. Just different actions and sometimes one works better than the other.

Bob Madison

Agreed on both. I am a novice on lead core but am learning the depth vs. # of colors with the various depths the crankbaits run.

Matthew Sandys

If you guys want to PM me, I have a great spreadsheet of lead core depths and speeds. I can not take any credit but would love to pass it along as the originator did to me.
    There are two one for 5 foot and one for 7 foot

Jim Pat

I am not an expert but one bit advice is to watch your depth finder and make sure to crank it up if you are near structure or the bottom. That will save you losing lead core and your lure.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If you guys want to PM me, I have a great spreadsheet of lead core depths and speeds. I can not take any credit but would love to pass it along as the originator did to me.
    There are two one for 5 foot and one for 7 foot

waytogo

Thanks for passing along!

Setting up a couple lead core rods for the first time. Looking to order some crankbaits and was wondering if there is a consensus regarding whether the shallow or deeper diving lures give a better action/produce better.

ie: shallow shad rap (2-4′ dive depth) VS. “regular” shad rap (4-9′ dive depth)

You run any lure on leadcore. That’s the beauty of it.
    Now, the more vibration in the crank there more vibes it transfers to the rod tip. Leadcore definitely deadons the ability for the lure to transfer vibrations into the rod tip…. therefore when there’s lots of debris in water I’ll tend to run lipped baits so I can tell when they’re fowled… or I’ll run stick type baits on 3-ways vs lead because i can check them for fowling quicker than lead, and can get them back in the water too.

HogginWalleye

Does anyone have any recommendations on cheaper yet sensitive lead core rods? I know there are several threads out there.

Was looking at the okuma Classic pro GTL. Any reviews?

Not trying to hijack your post here HLS but it seems your questions have been answered!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Does anyone have any recommendations on cheaper yet sensitive lead core rods? I know there are several threads out there.

Was looking at the okuma Classic pro GTL. Any reviews?

Not trying to hijack your post here HLS but it seems your questions have been answered!

I cannot answer as I’ve never used one. However, the Cabelas rods are comparably cheap and perform fine for me. I can see a fouled #5 or #7 shad rap with 150′ of line out. I’m pulling pretty fast at 2.5 – 3.5mph though which can sometimes make it a bit easier to see the vibration.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

While we’re hijacking posts about lead core, I ordered a couple of Scheels’ Xtreme 14′ trolling rods to run lead on in hopes of gaining more spread and running 4 lines a bit easier. I did quite a bit of research on the specific rods and their length and think I have a system down to land fish with 14′ rods to maximize my lead core spread. They obviously will only be used when someone is with me. If the plan doesn’t work, stay tuned to the classifieds for a sweet deal waytogo

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

The reason you need different baits as they have different actions and on any given day one can work much better then another.

Square bill baits while running will kick out to the side every so often. Short billed cranks will usually have more of a roll, the standard bill run straight and size of bill determines how hard they wobble.

The BIGGEST thing with crankbaits is tune them to run straight, when I tune mine I will kick up my speed to 3mph or more if I can get them to run at a faster speed I know they are right

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.