Couple winter boat projects

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Finished up project #2 (of 3 planned) for the old gal this winter tonight. The first was the dreaded Lund transom replacement which, aside from being time consuming, wasn’t that hard. (2001 pro sport) Boat hasn’t seen water since July but when I pulled it out around new years it was still wet. Fortunately it came out in one piece, I went back with epoxy coated marine plywood. Still have some touch up painting to do once it warms up some more (not going to bee too picky as I still plan to wrap it in a year or two).

Second project was this sliding tackle tray/front deck extension. It was just a somewhat wasted floor space before, now it can hold 9 Plano boxes in a nice central location. Also now frees up the compartment they were in so I have a place to put extra life jackets, rain jackets, lunch and such things so that stuff isn’t scattered about on the deck. That metal piece at the front end serves as a vent (trolling batteries are under the removable deck piece towards the bow of this new compartment) and also two screws and it pops out so I can access the pins to remove that deck piece and get to the batteries.

Last project to go is I plan to make a mooring cover to use to help keep more rain and morning dew out of the boat. I have the ottertex fabric I will be using in but I need to haul the whole thing to my parents as they have the heavy duty canvas sewing machine (and my mother has the expertise in layout and sewing).

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20220329_012040581-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20220329_011916882-scaled.jpg

3. PXL_20220313_224544189-scaled.jpg

4. PXL_20220305_173452755-scaled.jpg

5. PXL_20220112_043816234-scaled.jpg

6. PXL_20220108_211501402-scaled.jpg

7. PXL_20211229_185425287-scaled.jpg

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Old transom looks even uglier after I hacked it up with the chainsaw and got a good look at the interior plys. I’m pretty confident the new epoxied transom is pretty bulletproof, and a fraction of what they wanted for composites.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20220320_184652541-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20220320_184837483-scaled.jpg

AK Guy

Quite the project. Not sure I’ve seen a transom replaced before. Nice job.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

X2 well done.

Makes a guy wonder why they still use wood to make boats anymore. Especially in the transom.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Nice job. I know of another guy that would like his transom replaced. The first one is always the hardest. I told him that I was too busy.

stevenoak

One of my worst fishing moments turned to a blessing. My transom got damaged in a storm. Sent it back to Alumacraft to be repaired. They replaced my wood transon with all aluminum. Big upgrade for me, over $10k savings to my insurance company not totaling it like they wanted to.
    Glad to see you got the memo. Not to use treated plywood. Made that mistake once, although no problem long as I owned it.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AK Guy wrote:</div>

X2 well done.

Makes a guy wonder why they still use wood to make boats anymore. Especially in the transom.

What surprised me was no sealing of the original wood at all and was really surprised there was no sealant used when they installed the splash well scuppers, which is where I am 90% positive the vast majority of the moisture was getting in. Fortunately the pitting on the outer hull was minimal so I just cleaned, neutralized and filled with epoxy filler. Considered going with a composite for the new transom but for the cost and with the confidence I had in sealing a new wood one with multiple coats of epoxy I opted to go that way. Used 5200 to seal the new scuppers when I installed them so I know it won’t be getting back in that way (feel bad for whoever may have to try and take those back out again someday though).

On the flip side though that original transom was 21 years old so to still be in the shape it was and as little collateral damage as there was isn’t ‘that’ bad for a slab of un-sealed wood.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Nice work Poomunk! I completed a transom replacement on my boat this winter as well, along with fixing some cracked welds and old screw holes in the transom. My transom basically crumbled as it came out. Made me wonder how the engine didn’t just tear off the boat.

Charles

Ah yes transom repairs are fun!

Looks good

Umy
    South Metro

Those look great, NICELY done!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.