Corp of Engineers News Release (Pigs Eye Lake)

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

NEWS RELEASE
    June 18, 2019
    U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District
    MVP-PA-2019-059
    CONTACTS:
    Shannon Bauer: 651-290-5108, 612-840-9453, [email protected]
    Patrick Loch: 651-290-5679, 651-315-3887, [email protected]

Corps and Ramsey County to partner on Pigs Eye Lake environmental project

ST. PAUL, Minn. – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District, signed a project partnership agreement with the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners earlier this month to build seven islands in St. Paul’s Pigs Eye Lake for the benefit of the natural environment.

Pigs Eye Lake is located east of downtown St. Paul, Minnesota, in upper Pool 2 of the Mississippi River.

Sedimentation, low transparency and nutrient loading have caused the water quality and habitat suitability in Pigs Eye Lake to be poor. Additional factors, such as wind fetch and high rough fish populations, are also impacting the water quality and habitat suitability. The project features, including island construction with sand benches, marsh habitat and terrestrial planting, have the objective of reducing wind and wave action, improving vegetation, creating thermal shelter for waterfowl and protecting against shoreline erosion.

“This project fits in with our environmental mission to preserve, restore and protect the natural environment, and, at the same time, it allows us to utilize our dredged material in an environmentally beneficial way,” said Corps’ project manager Nate Campbell. “It’s also in our backyard, so we are very excited about it.”

The project will cost $12.6 million. The Corps of Engineers will cover $8.4 million, and Ramsey County will provide the remainder. Materials to build the islands will come mainly from material dredged from Pool 2 by the Corps of Engineers.

Work is anticipated to begin 2020 and be completed by 2022.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Main curiosity would be the creation of new fishable areas. (Deeper water to navigate back there)

I’ll assume these islands would be similar to other shoreline areas nearby and off limits to human activity. Specifically protected for wildlife habitat.

-J.

buschman
    Pool 2

I look forward to seeing what happens here as well. They will have to dig areas through the lake just to get the equipment back to dump/make the islands. Could be a good thing?? Cant hurt anyways if you ask me.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks for posting this, Brian. I agree that it can’t hurt the fishing and could make for some great new spots. If nothing else, Joe must be right that they’ll have to dredge a path to get back there! It’s not the easiest place to get to when the water isn’t high.

tangler
    Inactive

On the same page as y’all. I don’t see how Pig’s Eye could get much worse, and it sounds like a good way to put the dredged stuff to use.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I don’t think anyone that’s been in that area would be opposed to this with the possible exception of the people that travel Hwy 61.

There was more then one time I cussed out the geese that took off from pigs eye and “washed” my truck.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Update: coffee

St. Paul activists question $16 million project to put islands in Pig’s Eye Lake

St. Paul activists question $16 million project to put islands in Pig’s Eye Lake

By Tad Vezner | [email protected] | Pioneer Press

PUBLISHED: August 4, 2019 at 5:21 am | UPDATED: August 4, 2019 at 12:20 pm

Some East Side St. Paul community activists are concerned about a multimillion-dollar plan to build islands in the center of St. Paul’s largest lake — questioning the need and effect, and alleging a lack of public process.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced weeks ago that they will be building seven islands in the 638-acre Pig’s Eye Lake, in the city’s Battle Creek neighborhood, using $11.5 million of their money and another $4.2 million from funding set up by the state’s Clean Water Land and Legacy Amendment.

They say the lake is in bad shape because of eroding shoreline, carp tearing at its bottom, and extra sediment from Battle Creek, which empties into it.

The sheer length of open water, they add, allows for bigger waves that erode the shore even more — and building the islands will hinder that, along with creating shelter for waterfowl.

Former city council member Tom Dimond and former state Rep. Sheldon Johnson, both of whom live near the lake in the city’s Highwood neighborhood, say they were caught unaware by the project and question its premise.

Both are asking for at least one public input session about the project.

In particular, Dimond objects to the Corps’ use of 400,000 cubic yards of “dredge spoils” to build the islands — materials dragged from the bottom of the Mississippi River and placed in growing stockpiles.

“The proposed USACE project is a wolf in sheep’s clothing. The USACE needs to get rid of polluted dredge spoils,” Dimond said. “If you ever get anybody down to see this park, they’d be raising holy hell.”

It’s true that the park is difficult to find. Nestled among rail yards and barge terminals, U.S. Highway 61 to the east and the well-hidden Pig’s Eye Regional Park to the north, the park can only be accessed by driving through a wood chipping yard.

As far as pollution, Dimond acknowledges that the dredge materials meet standards of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency — but chafes at the idea of any pollution at all being placed in an area of the city that has seen plenty of it.

“No polluted/contaminated material will be dumped in Pig’s Eye Lake,” the Corps wrote in response to Dimond and Johnson, noting the materials were tested and found suitable for constructing aquatic habitats, as called for in the project.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency says everything dredged from the Mississippi is contaminated to some degree — but adds that placing it into the lake would likely be beneficial, given the lake’s history.

In previous years, the land to the north was Pig’s Eye Dump: the largest Superfund site in the state, remediated just after the turn of the millennium.

“To take sentiment from farther down the Mississippi, which is probably much less contaminated than Pig’s Eye Lake, and to put them in Pig’s Eye Lake, it’s probably a good thing,” said MPCA spokesman Walker Smith.

“Everything’s contaminated with something, and heaven knows the stuff that goes into the Mississippi is contaminated. … But for sure, where they have dredged up that stuff is less contaminated than the sediment in Pig’s Eye Lake.”

Dimond also questions whether the lakeshore is in fact eroding — noting no topographical data was collected, and instead the Corps relied on photographic evidence for a lake whose levels fluctuate throughout the year. He himself produced photos showing the waterline fluctuating over decades.

Corps officials say their photos asserting a decline in water levels were taken on days with “similar and normal water levels.”

“I don’t know Tom’s qualifications. We have biologists and geo-spacial information systems experts looking at this and believe that it is eroding,” said Corps spokesman Nate Campbell.

Former Rep. Johnson, who worked on the Pig’s Eye Dump project for decades both as a legislator and citizen, largely confines his criticisms to the need for a public input session.

“I would like to see more public input of what the plan entails and its implications. I’ve read through the material — I think St. Paul raises an important point,” Johnson said.

In a letter to the Corps, St. Paul officials expressed some reservations about the project, worrying about the islands’ long-term stability and calling the ongoing maintenance budget “woefully inadequate.”

Corps project manager Campbell said his organization followed all procedural rules for input, and received feedback from various state and local agencies. But, he added, no public comment session was mandated.

“I was unaware of it (the project), and I don’t know anyone that was aware that I hang out with,” said Johnson, adding, “My peers in the neighborhood are very involved in land-use issues.”

Construction on the project is slated to begin in summer 2020.

buschman
    Pool 2

Thanks for posting this Jon!

I have seen this information on the project here and from two other sources over the last year or so. I believe the Pioneer Press had a big write up on it. Funny that this is the 1st these people have heard about it. I don’t know enough about it to have a educated opinion but don’t see where it will hurt anything..

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Update: coffee

“I was unaware of it (the project), and I don’t know anyone that was aware that I hang out with,” said Johnson, adding, “My peers in the neighborhood are very involved in land-use issues.”

This drives me nuts – typical response from a bureaucrat trying to create a problem that doesn’t need to exist.

Next think you know we’ll be renaming local lakes because a millenial is offended…..wait, what?

Deuces

I find it odd how a few concerned citizens can form a small organization, build a cheap website, hand out some fliers and all of a sudden be the “voice” of the community.

Been dealing with this crap for a year or so now elsewhere.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I find it odd how a few concerned citizens can form a small organization, build a cheap website, hand out some fliers and all of a sudden be the “voice” of the community.

Honestly, there’s a bit of a lesson in this. “The world is run by the people who show up.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

^^ Winner! ^^

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MAVERICK wrote:</div>

Honestly, there’s a bit of a lesson in this. “The world is run by the people who show up.”

Kind of true. It’s hard to show up everywhere, all the time though. People tend to show up close to home, which is true for these guys in the article. I know Mav has “showed up” on a lot of stuff on the north side, same for me here with hidden falls/Crosby meetings. I’d be less likely to get involved even 5 miles down river. Little bit of nimbyism to it, I admit— but it’s natural to want to protect and have a voice regarding changes to the things you love about your neighborhood.

I have a hard time seeing what anybody could see in pigs eye lake that needs to be “saved” but in fairness, it’s not my turf so who knows? I understand wanting public input and I appreciated having that opportunity on projects that will affect my hood. Just another perspective I guess.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

“The proposed USACE project is a wolf in sheep’s clothing. The USACE needs to get rid of polluted dredge spoils,” Dimond said.

Another tactic. If that facts aren’t scary enough, make poop up to get the sky to fall.

I’m no biologist but I’d venture to say the dredgings from the Miss are probably less contaminated than that stagnant lake surround by industrial properties, highway and railroad runoff and what was not to long ago was the State’s largest Superfund site (think about THAT!) These islands will likely be an improvement to the lake bottom and water quality, not to mention habitat.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It was said that the Bay City flats were too contaminated to dredge.
    Guess what’s almost a reality?

There was funding issues too but contaminated river bottom is taking a back seat to places to place it.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

…I don’t know enough about it to have a educated opinion…

Haha, well trust me buschman, that is far from a requirement in these here parts.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I don’t think these activist give a rats ass about pigs eye lake or the river. They want a piece of the money for a flower garden in Battle Creek park. And a 12 person panel paid a 6 figure salary to decide what color flowers to plant!

-J.

Cody Meyers

Has anybody seen an update on this? I’m curious if it’s moved forward at all and if we should expect any extra activity down there soon.

Thanks,

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Update from the Pioneer Press

St. Paul City Council denies stop-work order against manmade islands in Pig’s Eye Lake

Story by Frederick Melo • Yesterday 9:46 AM

A coalition of advocates for Pig’s Eye Lake, a 628-acre riverine off the Mississippi River, were dealt a setback this month when the St. Paul City Council voted 6-1 to deny their request for a stop-work order that might have prevented the state Department of Natural Resources from continuing the $15.6 million project within the waterway.

Construction of the seven islands was about 25 percent complete as of a September project update released by Ramsey County. The county has worked with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers since 2012 to advocate for shoreline restoration and land and aquatic habitat improvements within Pig’s Eye Lake Park, which for decades served as a notorious unpermitted dumping ground.

The islands, scheduled to be completed in 2025, are expected to provide turtle and shorebird habitat while reducing shoreline erosion by buffering winds, but critics have questioned whether the quality of the dredge soils will support healthy vegetation and wildlife. Army Corps officials have said the dredge soil, which is tested for pollution, is being capped with two feet of topsoil to create bird habitat.

Environmental advocates with the Friends of the Mississippi River have been supportive of the Army Corps’ approach, as has the former director of the Audubon Society’s Upper Mississippi River Campaign.

Stop-work order requested
    Tom Dimond and the Friends of Pig’s Eye Lake Park filed a request with the city’s Board of Zoning Appeals asking that the city issue a stop-work order for the building project. The request raised some confusion with the board, as the project is regulated and permitted by the state’s Department of Natural Resources.

Dimond, however, noted the city maintains jurisdiction over structures built above the ordinary high water level mark.

The islands will extend out of the water above that level, he said, and should be vetted for flood plain and “critical area” requirements that govern development along the Mississippi River. Those requirements would then trigger a city-driven site plan review, a grading permit review and public hearings before the city’s Planning Commission.

On Sept. 7, following three separate meetings to consider his request for a stop-work order, the Board of Zoning Appeals voted 4-0 to deny it.

Appeal to city council
    Dimond and the Friends group appealed the decision to the city council, which voted 6-1 on Nov. 16 to deny the appeal despite vocal arguments from Council Member Jane Prince, who cast the sole dissenting vote.

“The appellant has failed to demonstrate that the BZA erred in any of its facts, findings or procedures in this matter,” said Council President Amy Brendmoen, who made the initial motion to deny the appeal from Friends of Pig’s Eye Lake.

Prince noted that the county and state had failed to host a robust community process before commencing the project, made no outreach to the neighborhood district councils and never received an official resolution of support from the city.

“This project, set in St. Paul’s largest lake, is the latest foray by government agencies to dump polluted materials into what was deemed a Minnesota Superfund site by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency in 1989,” said Prince, reading from prepared materials before the vote.

“In the last century, this was the state’s largest unpermitted dump site,” Prince said, pointing to documented sewage sludge ash from the Metropolitan wastewater treatment plant, as well as dumping by major corporations that were once situated on the city’s East Side. “I have spoken out repeatedly about the inadequacy of the public process used by the corps and the county.”

Council Member Mitra Jalali said she was “disturbed by the characterization that this is a vote to pollute the water. This is for DNR’s resource management process to continue. There has been a lot of technical expertise given to the levels of review. … I really think it’s important we characterize what’s happening accurately.”

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Just like Pigs Eye Lake, that was clear as mud

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.