Corned beef

• JEREMY
    BP

Never tried making this before and dont wanna waste a brisket since I have a freezer full of beef roasts. My question is all recipes say to smoke to 200-204 like a brisket would be but if im using a roast how high would you cook it?

haleysgold
    SE MN

Not any help but will be following this.

You can make corn beef out of a beef roast? Like a chuck roast?
    What about all the fat on it? Trim it off?

I assume you have to brine it to make corn beef out of it?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m going to follow as well. always wanted to make fresh corned Beef.

JEREMY
    BP

Brisket is fatty. I figured if i trimmed up the roast and cured/brined it the same way it should taste the same. Just dont wanna over cook it cause i wanna be able to slice it thin. Last year i bought some from the grocery store deli and by the size of the slices no way did it come from a brisket.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I would not think that the finish temp would be any different on a roast than on a brisket. Seems like the 195-205 temp is the magic finish temp for a lot of slow cooked / smoked meats.

Update. I checked with my BIL who ownes a BBQ restaurant and he said if using a Roast, He would not cook to anywhere near a internal temp of 200. He thinks the roast would get mushy at that high of a temp. he said he would only cook to around 180-185 at the most.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Place meat in smoker preheated to 160f damper open until meat is dried off (smoke will not penetrate if meat is still sweating or if humidity is too high) Close damper and apply heavy smoke for 4-6 hours. Finally raise the smoker to 200-215f until internal meat temp 155. Obviously you will be brining the meat before hand. Good Luck

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I had an aunt that was Jewish. She made the best corned beef I’ve ever had. It was cured in a spiced brine then dried. She never smoked corned beef. She would occasionally coat a corned brisket with pepper corns and smoke it but then it was pastrami.

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

Are you making corned beef or pastrami? Corned beef is not typically smoked where pastrami is. I assume you are planning to cure the meat first? My go to place for smoking info is amazingribs.com. He has a very good corned beef recipe and discusses the pastrami smoking process. He also dives into the science behind smoking, grilling, etc. His take is that you get a better smoke ring if you have a moist surface – water helps “catch” the smoke and transport it into the meat.

JEREMY
    BP

Not necessarily gonna add smoke buy i am gonna cook it in one of my electric smokers because im not a sit in the house and use the oven kind of guy. Yes i plan on brining it

buschman
    Pool 2

Corned Beef is already brined. Most at the stores are. Brisket is brisket but corned beef is pre brined.

I love smoking these. We did one last week and will do another for st pattys day.

I soak the corned beef for 8 hours in water to draw the salt out. Then rinse and dry it. Use any rub you want. I just use a simple salt, pepper and garlic powder mix for the dry rub. Smoke at 225 for 3 hours (135-140 degrees) and then place it in a foil pan and add a about a cup or so of water. Cover that pan with foil tight. You want a good half inch to inch of water in there. Continue to smoke till the meat hits 200 and pull it. Let it rest and slice it thin! If you are using it for sandwiches get it cold and then slice it and you can get it super thin!!!

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

I make corned beef and venison 3-4 times a year. My recipe does not use brine and it is not cooked in the oven, grill or smoker. I use a rub of curing salt and spices and it sits in a ziploc in the fridge 5 days per inch of thickness. After it is cured it is boiled until tender. The last time I made it I tried cooking it in the instant pot under pressure for 1 hr and it turned out fantastic. Super easy and almost impossible to screw it up.

JEREMY
    BP

March 9, 2022 at 1:22 pm#2106324
    Corned Beef is already brined. Most at the stores are. Brisket is brisket but corned beef is pre brined.

I think we are all aware corned beef is brined. My original question was if I take a roast and brine it the same way you would a brisket to make corned beef what temp would you cook the non traditional cut of brined meat to.

buschman
    Pool 2

I think we are all aware corned beef is brined.

10/4. I have always run mine at 225 and has worked great.

Go Spuds

I do make a corned beef outta non brisket cuts often-2-3 times a year.

For both corned beef and pastrami I do the brine and yes–I find the 190-205 is the sweet spot for tenderness etc–

For my corned beef I either oven or usually boil–I do the pastrami on the smoker–

Hope that helps–Im sure most people that do this all have their own way that works “best” lol

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buschman wrote:</div>
    March 9, 2022 at 1:22 pm#2106324

I think we are all aware corned beef is brined. My original question was if I take a roast and brine it the same way you would a brisket to make corned beef what temp would you cook the non traditional cut of brined meat to.

As you see on the internet you will get a dozen different answers. For safe eating 155 internal temp if you want to go longer that is up to you. Are you cold slicing or eating it warm. If cold slicing I would stay lower end of the spectrum if eating warm and want more of a fall apart then 195-200 internal meat temp.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

For true and correct answers to this and all my food questions I would Google:

Elton Brown Good Eats Corned Beef

He has a great CB recipe. Brining and cooking.

He is great for more than recipes. He explains the science behind cooking.

Don’t forget to eat the soup!!!!!

Rick Z
    Stark MN

I like Green beer and Irish Whiskey…Does that count?

JEREMY
    BP

I wanna slice it cold then make ruebens on the blackstone thats why since i wasnt using a brisket i was curious on temp. I guess i plan on slicing it thin so dont really have to worry about tenderness so probably go 150-160. My biggest concern is i wanna make it on sunday and just gonna start the brine tonite. Hoping some serious injecting speeds it up.

JEREMY
    BP

I did look at Alton Browns recipe but he uses to many ingredients for me. If i need 75 dollars worth of new spices i dont have, it will just be back to the deli.

Sylvanboat

I like Green beer and Irish Whiskey…Does that count?

Corn beef isn’t much good w/o beer and whiskey.

castle-rock-clown

I’ve never smoked corned beef, brisket yes, but corned beef no.

You can corn or brine your own brisket, but I just buy it packaged as pre brined. There is a spice packet in the package with the corned beef. I place in large pot add spice packet and boil for 3 hours adding potatoes, carrots and cabbage the last hour.

Attachments:
    1. BD0E4EFD-1CDC-488D-B591-0732A5DCFCCE.png

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I brine my packer brisket into corned beef .
    Then I boil it with some of the same seasoning and others to make corned beef.
    Then if I wish to make pastrami I separate the point and flat and change up the seasoning and smoke it in a different way for pastrami.

JEREMY
    BP

Grocery store yesterday brisket was 7.99lb but the brined ones were 3.49lb. Shouldnt that be the other way around. They spend money on the brine then sell the meat $4 a pound cheaper.

JEREMY
    BP

Turned out great. Don’t like the nasty black bread and was a little light on the kraut.

Attachments:
    1. 20220313_173425-scaled.jpg

picklerick
    Central WI

Looks like your reubens turned out pretty well. As for the price difference my guess is the grade is very different between what’s brined for corned beef and what’s sold at the grocery store as choice brisket. That being said, I was just at Costco in central WI yesterday and whole USDA PRIME briskets were “only” $3.99/lb. Their choice grade is always more per pound than prime, but it’s been nicely trimmed and the prime is not trimmed at all.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Got my Boars Head corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, onions, carrots and a clove of garlic ready for tomorrow!!! We are doing it in the crock pot this time. I think it will turn out even better than stove top. I really like this meal a lot. I’m surprised we only do it once a year. Left-overs will be a treat, if there are any…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.