Cork handle protection

• beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Alot of my trolling rods have cork handles and they seem prone to abuse in the rod holders.
    Is there some type of tape or other way of protecting the cork on my trolling rods? Something that wouldnt damage it either by removing it?

I love cork handles and putting tape on them seems counter-intuitive but I also don’t want beat up handles….

On the same topic, does anyone seal spinning rod cork handles?

Red Eye

I use cork sealer on all the rods I build. Gives the cork a protective layer and I think it kinda enriches the color of the cork. And they clean up easier. I don’t think it would do what your looking for on your trolling rods. They do make a shrink wrap product you could try. Check out mudhole.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Driftmaster rod holders don’t seem to damage rods in any way. 2c

I have taken some split grip handles, wrapped the bare area with cork tape and then put fishing rod heat shrink tubing over them… but none of that was because of damage it was because I didn’t want split grips. That wrap is something you can remove later without hurting the cork.

Fish slime and sun exposure are probably the worst for cork.
    Also, never put a hook into your cork.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Heat shrink tubing. You can even find it with cross hatching.

CaptainMusky

I put racquet wrap on my cork handles that got nicked up. I like the feel of it.

Red Eye

Also, never put a hook into your cork.

I’m a rod builder and I know I shouldn’t do this but I stick the hook in the cork all the time. Mostly on ice rods and especially on lighter rods where hooks tend to come off hook keepers and wrap around everything else in a rod bag.

tswoboda

U-40 cork seal isn’t going to protect the cork from rod holder damage. You want the shrink tubing or winn grip overwrap – I’d go with the shrink tubing personally.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

U-40 cork seal isn’t going to protect the cork from rod holder damage. You want the shrink tubing or winn grip overwrap – I’d go with the shrink tubing personally.

x4?
    Before adding the shrink tubing fill in any low spots with outdoor wood filler. Elmer’s in golden oak matched up well to cork.

Bassn Dan

Instead of tape on the grips, maybe look at your rod holders and round off any sharp edges/corners that could be causing damage to the cork.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Great stuff! Thanks! Learn so much here!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.