Coralville fishing?

• wahly
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Any one doing any crappie or walleye fishing at coralville and doing any good?
    Will get 1 or 2 more trips to the Miss, but would be nice to stay closer to home if the bite is good.
    Any replies are apriciated.
    Thanks Wahly

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I’m working 7 days a week building up some cash untill the weather can decide which way it’s going to go. There is still a chance for some indian summer days with some open water fishing ahead, but probably not……….. oh well………. Leaving to go to a Critter supper at Stone city in 30 Min. {John}

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Nothing here either. Good luck.

Chitwood46
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I hope you guys get some of them fall crappie out of the res. I am not as optimistic about the indian summer days. I winterized the boat and she is up on car skates sideways in the back of the garage until, maybe March. good luck Gills & Speck, Gianni, and Teamcrappie.

3way
    eastern iowa.

has anyone fished mcbride or coralville this past week? going out their either thursday or friday. would rather try coralville, is the river muddy? going with two others, they want to fish mcbride only because they haven’t been on coralville before. maybe we will give both a shot.

wahly
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

3-way, let us know how ya do, haven’t had the chance to get out but would love to hit coralville or mcbride 1 or 2 more times.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Yesterday took home about 20 Crappies on jigs at Mcbride. Today I’m going to give minnows a try and compare the difference at Mcbride. Might see ya out there

3way
    eastern iowa.

had a great time on mcbride thursday. all except for the wind. there was four of us in two boats. pretty much was a anchor kind of day. cloudy till around 3pm, pretty sure it didn’t make the 70s. well anyways we caught lots of crappies. they were all on some kind of structure. size to me was a problem, all between 8″ & 10″. every fish looked like they came out of the same mold. most were caught on bobbers and minnows. not one of my favorite things to do, so i was casting a 16oz jig and tube. worked good, but lost the numbers battle to the bobber guys. i did have one pole hanging over the side with a bare hook and bobber, several times i had to dive for my pole to keep it out of the lake. course the fish were gone time i got to it. two of the guys had never fished there before, they were so happy they bought my beverages later. i would say there were 30 boats out, lots walleye fishing, never seen a keeper there either. never seen any slab crappies, may have been some but not in our boats. we were fishing in 18feet of water and catching them between 8 and 10 feet. i really would like to fish coralville next time. numbers might be smaller but size is usually bigger. hope to make it back to either lake sometime next week, would love to meet someone who is a member here anytime outthere. i tried the aqu-view, in the 18’of water i couldn’t see more that maybe a couple of feet. i only tried it a couple times. without very good visibility i was worried about losing my camera. going to wait for the ice man to show.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

When the ice man does show, give me a yell. I’ll be ready for him this time.

Until then, there’s a couple of critters I need to make dead.

Good luck out there.

3way
    eastern iowa.

did you find those 2 critters yet. would they be coyotes or a 30point buck? gave up on the fishing this week and been doin real good on those big honkers. one day, with those southern 30mph winds was the best. couldn’t pick up the honkers quick enough without more flight geese seeing us and keep right on going. lots of snow up north sure pushed flights our way. didn’t even have to use any cheater hooks. come on down gooses. let me know if you hear about any hot bites at mcbride or coralville if you could. drop a email if ya like.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Got two critters of my own keeping me out of the deer stand. I figure this week will be the last of bowhunting, then the first season shotgunners will have them either dead or spooked to high heaven. I’ll hunt 2nd gun season and then be ready to hit the ice (assuming by then we actually have some)!

I promised a picture of that ‘eye, so here goes:

Coralville (far North)
    28″
    Just shy of 8lbs

wahly
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Gianni, nice eye, great pic, must of been fun catching that one, so there really are big eyes in coralville/mcbride! Gonna have to get more serious and chase them more myself.

superdave
    NE IA

Nice fish! Is that new pavement in the background, lol? If so i know where you were.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.