Copper Line

• catmando
    wis

Setting up some rods. I have one 300 going to use down the chute, 2 on planner boards with say 150 ft of copper, ideas on this spread. have riggers and dipsy, if needed. Lake Superior thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, DK.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

300 copper should be in the 70′ range at 2.5mph.
    You can put it on a mag inline planerboard.

catmando
    wis

Do think 150 ft copper setups, are worth it, taking the place of 10 colors of lead core. I figure if more depth is needed to just add a snap weight to the leader. thanks Dan.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

Not sure your plan, But you likely need to have a roller rod if going down the chute and not putting all 300 out. I really like to be able to keep that set up at different lengths to so if I can figure something out. I am not certain, but my understanding is Cooper shouldn’t be pulled when it’s still in the eyelets for extended periods of time or it will wear. Also, I have a 300 Cooper on a penn 309 and it’s a pain because there isn’t enough retrieve per turn once it gets to the end, so make sure you have a really big real. In hindsight I might Redo that reel to be only 150 and not have to deal with cranking so much in.

catmando
    wis

Not sure your plan, But you likely need to have a roller rod if going down the chute and not putting all 300 out. I really like to be able to keep that set up at different lengths to so if I can figure something out. I am not certain, but my understanding is Cooper shouldn’t be pulled when it’s still in the eyelets for extended periods of time or it will wear. Also, I have a 300 Cooper on a penn 309 and it’s a pain because there isn’t enough retrieve per turn once it gets to the end, so make sure you have a really big real. In hindsight I might Redo that reel to be only 150 and not have to deal with cranking so much in.

What I want to achieve is getting about as deep as 10 colors of lead without letting 300 ft of lead plus leader plus line to planner boad. And if copper works well on Lake Superior. DK.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I don’t fish Lake Superior as much as Lake Michigan, but both 150 copper and 300 copper have caught fish for me the few times I’ve fished around the Apostle Islands. I run them all on inline boards.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I run copper on my lake michigan rods. No need for roller rods or twilli tips. I like it better than leadcore.

catmando
    wis

Thanks, guys I set up 2 rods with 150 copper and 1 with 300, they will be my board rods, going to Algoma Tuesday. Dan.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.