Cooking During Overnight Ice Fishing Trips

• pinchthetail

Hey all. New the the forum, but will be taking a weekend ice fishing trip soon where we will be staying overnight on the ice in a rental.

We’d like to make a least one or two warm meals. Any ideas? I was thinking of doing some beer boiled brats but would like to see what some of you pros like to do.

Thanks

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I like to bring my little charcoal grill and use that a few times over a 2 day/night trip

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I like to bring my little charcoal grill and use that a few times over a 2 day/night trip

X2. I make up Lipton Onion Soup burger patties before leaving and put in zip lock bags. Also bring brats and steaks. Nothing better than fresh grilled meat on the ice.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I sometimes bring my Coleman stove and a pot. Make your favorite soup and vacuum pack it. Grab some snow and fill the pot, add the soup still in the bag and cook. When you are done the only clean up you have to do is toss out the water and through away the bag.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’ve done the grill thing too a number of times and it can be fun unless it’s very windy or very cold or after dark. Any of those three situations does kind of take the fun out of it.
    You said you’re staying overnight in a rental so a “sleeper” house. You didn’t mention but most have gas cook tops and some even have ovens. If yours does…well then that opens up a world of possibilities!
    And Welcome to IDO!! wave

Jake
    Brainerd

I use a Jetboil MiniMo. Works very nicely for my needs. Boils water super fast, and the coffee press makes a solid brew. I recently bought their skillet but haven’t had a chance to use it yet. I can make a mean egg drop ramen with it. razz

Also recently scored a bunch of the Mountain House freeze dried meals at half price. So I’ll be trying those very soon. I’ve heard good things about them.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I like to bring the cook stove.
    Bacon and eggs, fry up some (pre-boiled) potatoes I also pre cut onions and if we catch fish I fry em the bacon grease. Wash it down with Coronas.
    I always bring Tabasco, sriracha, ketsup, S&P.
    Nothing better than the smell of bacon cooking when your out fishing!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.