Confused are inflatable life vests legal in MN

• mrpike1973

I bring this up because as I was getting my boat ready the AIS inspector informed me that a guy getting off the lake got a ticket for wearing a inflatable life vest from a CO saying it did not count as a life jacket. Reading the 2022 MN boating laws as long as it is self inflating not just manual and says coast guard approved and is worn not tucked away or laying about it is legal. Do not know the other persons situation it could have been just a manual inflating jacket I don’t know. So I believe I’m legal and checked the dates and replaced my bobbins are the CO cartridge’s do they expire?

Plunker

You’re understanding mimics mine. Maybe a special case with the other guy, hard to tell second hand.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They are a legal life jacket if worn at all times is my understanding

mrpike1973

That’s what I’m thinking as well thanks

FinickyFish

They are a legal life jacket if worn at all times is my understanding

Do you mean to say they don’t count if they are accessible but not being worn? Just want to clarify cause I just upgraded all of my old bulky vests to AM24s and want to make sure I’m not getting a ticket if I’m anchored and not wearing them?

Reef W

Boating guide says “Some inflatable life jackets are required to be worn in order to be counted as one of your U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable flotation devices—check the label for indication.”

I think it has to say it’s approved as type I, II, or III for recreational use and NOT say that it must be worn.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Reef is correct, It has to be USCG approved and must be worn to count!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would wear the inflatable for personal safety but have a regular life jacket on board for every person to satisfy the law just to be sure.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

There are a lot of self inflating vests on Amazon that are not Coast Guard approved. Make sure you read the tag if you’re buying at a brick & mortar store or read the description carefully if buying online.

keith schuckert

The cartridges do expire they have a 3 year shelf life. You can see the date they were produced on them. And yes the inflatable must be worn. If the cartridge is expired it is not a legal pfd.

Mike m

Isn’t the whole purpose of an inflatable life jacket so you can wear it comfortably, verses the bulky life vest ?

mrpike1973

For clarity I know the bobbins need replacing the co 2 cartridges expire as well?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Inflatable life jackets are like high maintenance girls to me. They may be comfortable, but long term they don’t work. No thanks.

Gitchi Gummi

My understanding is the auto inflating life jackets (that are coast guard approved) do count as a life jacket, even if they aren’t worn

The inflatable life jackets that require you to pull a cord to inflate must be worn to count as a life jacket in the boat. If you have a inflatable that requires you to pull the cord to inflate (ie falling in the water will not make it go off), it does not count as a life jacket in your boat if you aren’t wearing it.

keith schuckert

Yes if you look on the co2 cartridge you can see the date they were produced. You may need to look closely because it can be hard to read/find sometimes.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Inflatable life jackets are like high maintenance girls to me. They may be comfortable, but long term they don’t work. No thanks.

Can you elaborate?

MNdrifter

The bigger ones work well, but I don’t want my friends to see me with one….

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

According to mustang Survival facts section the CO2 cartridge has a manufacturing date and the canister has no expiration date- just recommend replacement when corroded. Bobbins expire for sure- Fleet farm should learn this- everyone on the local stores shelf has expired!

Attachments:
    1. Capture.jpg

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

We were checked by CO’s on Rainy River. The first thing they said was, “I see you are wearing your inflatable PFD’s so you are good there”. They never asked to see any other available life preservers except the throw cushion. I still have both in the boat because I don’t always find myself wearing the inflatables and then I’m still legal. Its stupid not to wear it because they are very comfortable and you don’t even know they are there!

shefland
    Walker

Must be more ti that guys story. Here on Leech, according to wardens who have checked me on occasion, all inflatables must be worn at all times. Other types just have to be accesible. They have never checked any dates or cartridgs

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

According to mustang Survival facts section the CO2 cartridge has a manufacturing date and the canister has no expiration date- just recommend replacement when corroded. Bobbins expire for sure

You are 100% correct.

Many folks do not realize the one can purchase just the bobbins. Greatly reducing the cost of keeping your PFD current and up to date. For about $10 per PFD, one can replace the bobbin in 3 PFDs.

FinickyFish

Well this forum just saved me a ticket. Thanks everyone.

Gitchi Gummi

My understanding is the auto inflating life jackets (that are coast guard approved) do count as a life jacket, even if they aren’t worn

The inflatable life jackets that require you to pull a cord to inflate must be worn to count as a life jacket in the boat. If you have a inflatable that requires you to pull the cord to inflate (ie falling in the water will not make it go off), it does not count as a life jacket in your boat if you aren’t wearing it.

Per page 19 of the 2022 boating regulations:

Some inflatable life jackets are required to be worn in order to be counted as one of your U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable flotation devices—check the label for indication. Inflatables are not approved for use on personal watercraft or while waterskiing or similar sports. Always read the label for intended use and follow any restrictions.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not all inflatables are required to be worn. If it’s required, it will say right on the life jacket that it must be worn. If it doesn’t say that and it is CG approved, it doesn’t have to be worn.

One popular inflatable that doesn’t have to be worn is the Onyx A-24. Only the A-24 though. Not the A/M-24 or any others that I’m aware of.

It all depends on the type of coast guard approval they apply for.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

When I was fishing pool 2 this spring we got checked by a CO. I was wearing my inflatable. It must have been around freezing that day because the CO mentioned that there department used to wear inflatables, but if below freezing they are not guaranteed to work so they switched over to the more low profile paddling pfds. More of a safety thing in cold temps than the law, but it was news to me.

mrpike1973

Thanks Keith on the CO 2 cartridge I was looking all over and could not find a expiration date. Probably more to the other guys story but but just worried about my story being a inflatable saved my life once. I replace the bobbins every year regardless with siting in the heat in a car etc. I don’t want to guess if they work.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Pike, if a bobbin doesn’t work, the PDF will inflate. The reason they are changed out is so we don’t have a “accidental discharge” (so to speak) when your not expecting one.

The bobbin dissolves in water and that causes the striker to puncture the Co2 cartridge.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

where is our resident inflatable and coast guard rules expert BK when you need him?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

where is our resident inflatable and coast guard rules expert BK when you need him?

looks like he chimed in before i refreshed the page lol. wave

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

My personal experience over the last 10 years or so using inflatables is when checked, the CO or Sherriff has never asked to inspect the vest. They just want to see one for each person in the boat – worn or not. Both in Mn and Wi.

-J.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.