confidence shattered

• Tim J
    Duluth, MN

OK, I need to vent a little. This summer has been my worst summer of fishing I can remember. After spending the last 6 years being a die hard river guy (Croix, P2 and P4) I had to move up to Duluth for my wife’s job. And I keep striking out time after time up here. I primarily target walleye, but have been targeting multiple species lately. I’ve been on the St. Louis river, Lake Superior, and a couple of the reservoirs north of Duluth. Got to the point this past weekend where I decided to make a weekend trip back to metro and fish the Croix, and struggled there too, what I would’ve considered my home body of water a few months ago. My fishing confidence is at an all time low right now, which makes it even tougher to catch fish, like a batter stuck in a hitting slump. Anyone else been there? I know, I know, “still better than a day at work”. I agree but g-dangit I used to think I was a half decent fisherman half of the time. Anyway, good talk. Felt good to vent to someone. Hope your summer of fishing is going better than mine.

Aaron Kalberer

Heck, I never do good, just good enough to keep my spirits up, but the past two years for me have been terrible. This year it hasn’t helped that I hardly have gotten a chance to go.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I rarely catch fish anyway so this topic doesn’t really apply to me but I have a suggestion for you – walleye are tricky to catch, hows about targeting a different species like bass or panfish for the next few outings. You spend a day on the water catching bass/pike and or panfish and you will get some of that confidence back.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I think you should get that sheep out of your profile pic. That’s some bad luck right there!! )

munchy
    NULL

Been there, done that. For me when I get into a slump I focus on one body of water and one fish species. Once I get my confidence back there I start venturing out. And if I’m on the water and I feel frustrated or I just don’t want to be there I pack up and leave. I’ve packed up 15 minutes after launching just because I didn’t feel like I wanted to be there.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I think you should get that sheep out of your profile pic. That’s some bad luck right there!! )

Absolutely not, that thing was a beast! I take pride in catching large sheep.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

remove all bananas from your boat and the chances will go up. St Croix in July is ridiculously slow. go to mille lacs when the livebait ban has been lifted.

Gitchi Gummi

Tim – the reservoirs just north of Duluth have been on fire this summer. I’ve lived in Duluth since I was 5 (besides college), and lived on one of the reservoirs for about 12 years and this summer has been my best summer of fishing I can remember. Feel free to send me a PM to discuss some specifics if you would like.

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

Head over to Marine General and pick up some spoons and dipsey divers, then go back out on Superior and catch some Salmon and Lakers.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Humbling isn’t it. frown

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Reset. Start small and fish for panfish or anything that’s biting.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Are you fishing early morning or around and after sunset? River fish will have a decent bite all day long. But some clear lakes with no wind there are days where it makes little sense to even be on the water. But you still get a 2 hour window a couple times a day with a solid bite.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

remove all bananas from your boat and the chances will go up. St Croix in July is ridiculously slow. go to mille lacs when the livebait ban has been lifted.

Steve O, I respectfully disagree. The last two summers I’ve done very well in July with leadcore and jigging raps.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Dave, thanks for the input. I’ve been fishing at various times. Many of Duluth’s “lakes” are damned up reservoirs from the Cloquet river and have a heavy tannic stain to them. I’ve put my camera down in 15 fow on a blue-bird day and it’s been pitch black.

Hoyt4
    NULL

I would put bananas in your boat that should help with the luck.

FryDog62

Hire a guide for a half/full day. One with a solid reputation, not any guide. They should know where the bite is that week, that day, what depth, what presentation, etc. Will help you find a pattern you can go back and replicate. If nothing else you’ll catch fish while on their boat and remember what it’s like to successfully land fish again.

If you’re willing to travel to Alexandria, look up guide Joe Scegura. He’ll know the winning pattern.

kabefisherman11

Maybe go for a trip up North a little bit. Being in Duluth vermilion and kabetogama are only a few hours for you. Like metro area guys going to Mille lacs. Except you can keep fish. Good luck also I fished those Duluth area reservoirs a lot growing up. Don’t be afraid to go with slip bobber leech presentations. Did well with gold jig and leeches.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Do what a lot of the self proclaimed experts here have done, hire a guide for a day, then tail pipe em any chance you get !!! crazy devil rotflol hah jester

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Try adding more ice to the cooler. If my Coronas start getting warm I don’t drink as much. When their cold, I drink more and then I don’t care much if fish aren’t biting.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Dave, thanks for the input. I’ve been fishing at various times. Many of Duluth’s “lakes” are damned up reservoirs from the Cloquet river and have a heavy tannic stain to them. I’ve put my camera down in 15 fow on a blue-bird day and it’s been pitch black.

In that case, get up at 4:30am, head to Vermilion, launch at Everett’s Bay and hit the reefs and humps of Big Bay and be off the water by 10am with your limit and home by noon. peace yay whistling

Franny
    Empire, MN

+1 LOL

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tim J wrote:</div>

In that case, get up at 4:30am, head to Vermilion, launch at Everett’s Bay and hit the reefs and humps of Big Bay and be off the water by 10am with your limit and home by noon. peace yay whistling

What he said…

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I lived in Duluth for 5 years during college. We fished quite a bit and never did well on any of the lakes just north of town (Fish, Island, Boulder). Maybe it was our fishing style (we didn’t use leeches and slip bobbers much at all) but I remember thinking they were tough lakes to fish.

Gitchi Gummi

Don’t be afraid to go with slip bobber leech presentations..

+1. All I will say is one of the reservoir lakes has been consistently putting out 20″+ fish this year on that presentation for me.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

The Croix has been very tough the past few weeks. Just check out the results page of our walleye league. SCVWL.COM. There are between 25 and 35 boats each Tuesday. Most guys fish a couple days a week on top of Tuesday night. I bet the past 2 weeks, over half the boats zeroed. And there are some experienced river rats in this group. My partner is a troller and he is still struggling to find fish but the bite has improved a bit in the past week for him. Live bait still seems to be out producing trolling in the league.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Head further north towards bwca plenty of lakes outside bwca can use boat on bring leeches and bobbers or spinners. Catch walleyes like your fishing for sunfish elsewhere. A lot of the people who have cabins on the inland lakes off the north shore live in duluth

rwmcvean

My parents live on island lake on the north side. I tend to think of that lake like a river as there is some degree of current in it (and once was a river). My lakemaster mapping chip shows the old channel best. Bigger fish have been coming with crawlers on Lindy Rigs along the “banks” of the river channel out in the basin for us. Smaller fish stay in some of these back bays all summer long. Biggest advice there is to cover ground. Good luck, let me know what works (because I’m going back up in a week)!

tim hurley

We struck out on Boulder; inland lakes this time of year can also be tough-I posted ‘How do you catch Walleyes on this lake?’ and got some great ideas. Pick lakes with great #s get to know the lake and as others have said maybe switch to SMBs this time of year. Good Luck

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.