Confessions of a deer hunting small-bore convert.

• Brad Dimond

One of my hunting crew has a Ruger Super Redhawk and a Ruger Model 44 Carbine. He has killed deer with both, boom-flop. Fun to shoot, suprisingly manageable recoil.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

My Grandmother hunted with a semi-auto ruger 44 Mag for many years and I don’t know hoe many deer were killed with that rifle. I think at best it shot minute-of-softball at 100 yards but that was always good enough for her. Usually we would hear “bang………bang bang bang”.

ajw

I’m becoming a big believer in the heavy-for caliber, high bc bullets pushed fast.I’ve had a fast twist 22-250 for a couple years and shoot 75grain hornady eld’s out of it with extremely good results on coyotes, antelope and a few does. It’s also a pleasure to shoot at distance because it slips the wind so well.

Currently have a different short action rem700 at the gunsmith getting rebarrel into a 22 creedmoor. I’ll be slinging 75-90 grainers 3200-3500 fps. It’s basically cheating.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Well, I was dead set on a Tikka in 6.5 creed, but I ended up saying “what the hay” and threw a bid on a Tikka Compact 308 on Gunbroker. Well wouldn’t yah know, ended up winning the thing for a pretty screaming deal. Going to work up a load with 168 ELDMs, and it should be a pretty handy little rifle capable of some moderate LR work.

Now I’m on the hunt for a Tikka donor action/rifle to spin on a 260 AI barrel.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Well, I was dead set on a Tikka in 6.5 creed, but I ended up saying “what the hay” and threw a bid on a Tikka Compact 308 on Gunbroker. Well wouldn’t yah know, ended up winning the thing for a pretty screaming deal. Going to work up a load with 168 ELDMs, and it should be a pretty handy little rifle capable of some moderate LR work.

Now I’m on the hunt for a Tikka donor action/rifle to spin on a 260 AI barrel.

Congratulations on your win! I love GunBroker!

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.